Community Forums

hernia surgery  

Page 2 / 7
  RSS

tekohiwi
(@tekohiwi)
Registered
October 23, 2017 4:45 pm  

I am in New Zealand so can't comment on hospitals that do these ops but I too had a Parastomal hernia and had it operated on 3 months ago. (I have a permanent colostomy for a bowel cancer operation.) I was getting regular Bowel blockages that they said were caused by the hernia so was looking forward to sorting it out. I was supposed to have it repaired by the sugar baker technique but when they got in there decided it could not be done that way so not sure what method they used. But inserted mesh and still done laparoscopically. Also tidied up some adhesions while in there. Recovery was good and I have been steadily getting stronger and feeling good. So far no signs of another hernia. BUT I have had 3 blockages in the 3 months since the op and they say it will be the dreaded adhesions again. Every operation creates more and some people suffer from them more than others - guess that's me!! My surgeon says it should get better with time as things settle down etc. Latest one was last night - did not go to the emergency dept and just resting today and trying to drink lots. 

ReplyQuote
carolynreinhart
(@carolynreinhart)
Registered
October 23, 2017 7:46 pm  

Well, she is suggesting a colo-rectal surgeon in Barrie. I dont know who or if they do Sugar Baker. That is still 2 hrs for us from here and I dont know if the bowel is strangulating if it matters in terms of hours in between. I think that the surgeons who do sugar baker are in toronto. I havenèt heard from her about this referral - she said it in passing so I may have to ask her again. I wonèt have surgery unless it is strangulated. Thanks Eric.

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
October 23, 2017 9:11 pm  

Hi again Carolyn.

I am posting a link to the doctor who developed this hernia repair technique. ( I  googled him). This is an interesting page however. His name is Paul Sugarbaker ( one word). Best wishes.:

http://www.abdominalsurg.org/journal/2014/paraostomy-hernias-prosthetic-mesh-repair.html

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 9:20 pm  

Caroylyn, I had UC and strangulation of colon 3 times by the time they got in there.  Total removal. But got my A.H. still. But, I have met with some people when I tell them of what I went through, they also had strangulation of colon (no UC) got it straighed(sp) out and doing fine..  see? there is always hope for YOU!! or r u talking about herinas? Don't know much about them or spell it either. hahah. 

What is sugar baker?  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 27, 2017 7:30 am  

I got this belt from Comfizz today and so far it feels really good 

Support Belt 10cm in Level 3 Support – Unisex

will report back after a week or so .

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 27, 2017 7:42 am  

Morning Tony, That looks really good and not a large bulky thing, some of these devices take a little getting used to. when I started with a stoma protector it was doing my nut in. but now don,t  know how I did without. Hope that does the trick for ye

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 27, 2017 8:42 am  
Posted by: Tony H

I got this belt from Comfizz today and so far it feels really good 

will report back after a week or so .

Please do! Since I can't really get Comfizz products here, I'm always interested to know how well they work. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 27, 2017 8:58 am  

Hi Eric, that is a real pity as they do have quite a good range and at an affordable price. I have just emailed to find out if they will ship to the U.S and Canada

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 27, 2017 9:07 am  
Posted by: john68

Hi Eric, that is a real pity as they do have quite a good range and at an affordable price. I have just emailed to find out if they will ship to the U.S and Canada

They have one of the largest collection of products like that. Let me know if their shipping policy changed 😀

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 27, 2017 9:29 am  

hi Eric they do post to Canada now and the postage cost would be £9.50 or about $16 Canadian 

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 27, 2017 9:30 am  

they have webchat on their site and are really helpfull

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 27, 2017 9:31 am  
Posted by: Tony H

hi Eric they do post to Canada now and the postage cost would be £9.50 or about $16 Canadian 

That's fantastic! Time to put together an order 😀

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 27, 2017 9:35 am  

Good News,

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 27, 2017 1:29 pm  

Comfizz really do have a great range, a lot of ostomates over here know about it so it would be worth introducing it to folk across the pond

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 27, 2017 2:19 pm  

Hey Tony was looking at the Comfizz site looks interesting . If you don't mind can I ask you which belt is it that you ordered  ? 

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 27, 2017 4:29 pm  

Question: Why do we need a stoma protector? (because a stoma stick out to much?) or what?

Question:  Just what kind of harm to stoma with lifting and certain excerises? CAn I do 

simple sit ups?

Question:   WHY do people get hernias? 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 27, 2017 4:29 pm  

Question: Why do we need a stoma protector? (because a stoma stick out to much?) or what?

Question:  Just what kind of harm to stoma with lifting and certain excerises? CAn I do 

simple sit ups?

Question:   WHY do people get hernias? 

ReplyQuote
tekohiwi
(@tekohiwi)
Registered
October 28, 2017 1:06 am  

Hi Marcie

i was told anyone with a stoma should not lift more than 9kg without wearing a hernia belt. Unfortunately I was told this after I had developed a Parastomal hernia - so too late. I bought a 'Stoma guard' to wear while fishing etc to protect the stoma from being knocked. It is a plastic shield on an elastic belt.  Works a treat & increases my confidence. 

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 28, 2017 10:11 am  

Hey Robert this is the belt I ordered

you can also get a sheild to work in conjunction with the belt 

https://comfizz.com/product/comfishield-set-mens/

I already have a sheild from another manufacturer and it works well with the belt .

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 28, 2017 11:43 am  

Is getting a hernia that easy to get? Making me nervous guys!! I lift things, haul heavy laundry baskets,  bend much-- climb ladders-balance myself to hang light bulbs, pain walls, streach, not goo huh?  am I doing something wrong?  

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7
Share:

Please Login or Register