Clear all

Hernias By Stoma Maybe ?

26 Posts
8 Users
22 Likes
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

Hello all-

How to do know if you have a hernia near the stoma ? I have read a lot about this, no pain just a hard area on the left side, have stoma that which it is not painful.

Topic Tags
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

There could be several signs, but a bulge under the skin is one of them. When you lay down, dows this hard area get softer or flatten out?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

I will have to try that out. Thx!

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I had an umbilical hernia once, and the doctor found it when I had lifted my head to look at what he was pressing on 2 my tummy and it protruded straight up by a good inch higher than the rest of me. As if someone had shoved a thumb up under my skin. I remember joking about the sudden mole hill on my tummy, and he told me it was a hernia that needed to be repaired. So lay down flat, lift your head  and place your chin to your chest and see if you get a molehill bulge happening. Make sure and give us a report on this one as in checking out mine to tell you how to do , it seems I have another small one myself! Rol ...  Why not that too ! ? It does not bother me but I will ask the doctor about it next time I see him. All the best!

Linda

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  
  • Thx so much for your reply. Am going to c the ostomy nurse next week,

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

Well some details to my story since I wrote the question about the stoma. Over the weekend I had experienced a bit increase in my stoma size like almost 2 inches wide. Was using a one and one half barrier now up to one and five eighths or one and three fourths.  Boy am I scared. Gas passing and plenty of liquids today. Have to b seen by the surgeon. Will call his office tomorrow. Praying. It’s funny any abdominal surgery I have ever had there was always a problem. Could b a  parastomal hernia or a blockage or a prolapse I guess. Thx for letting me whine.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Dear Cyrisse,

I will say a prayer for you, too.

God bless,

Stella

Cyrisse and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Cyrisse, What ever it may be medical attention is the only route. It could be simple enough so it’s easy to say don’t panic but keep focused on getting it looked at ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy, Tony and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Cyrisse, fear is a normal reaction to the unknown.  You are going thru a lot, and I am glad you have an appt. it will get you the answers you need sooner hopefully rather than later.  I am sorry your stoma is misbehaving so much! Naughty thing! After surgery one time (my 5th in a 6 mth. period), I had peritonitis,  it set me back pretty hard and far.  I had that Vac-u-pak hooked up to me for many weeks after that surgery.  I felt like such a "patient" and was not happy about it. My IV pole had 4 things hanging from it.  The nutritional supplement TPN, antibiotics, the IV fluids and the vac-u-pac. I wanted to run but was being forced to crawl!  Everyone said I was doing so well, considering, but  had no idea the inner turmoil I was experiencing.  Easier said than done I know, but try not to get too worried ahead of time.  I hope all works out well  for you and if you need surgery that you heal well from that too. You are in my prayers! 

Linda

Tony H, Cyrisse and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Hi Cyrisse, 

My stoma is on the right side of my tummy and I have a huge hernia on the left side. It is bigger than a grapefruit, but not quite as big as a cantaloupe. I hate it!!  I also have been having some pain around my stoma, especially when I get out of bed in the morning. I wonder if it is another hernia. I heard you can get one “under” the stoma. 

I hope your dr appt provides you with some answers. 

Liza

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Cyrisse, LK and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Cyrisse,

How are you doing? Did you see the surgeon? How did that go? We're all pulling for you.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

Tony and Friends-

Saw surgeon today. We r all were on point, it is a Parastomal Hernia. This will b taken care when the take down is  done. I plan to have the reversal next year. Right now the hernia is not that large. Advised to watch it, if anything like the stoma looks weird  or I am very bound up or increasing pain  develops go to the hospital. This doc is in the same practice as my main surgeon who I will c  in 2 weeks. I am satisfied with that. What a relief. ! Thx to all of u guys for your support !

VeganOstomy, LK, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@cyrisse

I’m glad they figured it out and you have a plan to fix it. 

So, a parastomal hernia, is that a hernia under the stoma. I googled it and it mentioned the stoma incision site being where the hernia comes through. 

The hernia I have is from my small intestines coming through where they cut my abdominal muscles to remove my colon. It is in the opposite side of my tummy from my stoma. They tried to put everything back in place but the intestines is bulging out. ?? It is so annoying and looks awful. Plus it hurts when I cough or sneeze, and I am trying to get over a cold.  Has anyone else had a hernia like this??

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Cyrisse...that has to be a bit of a relief. It is never fun to have to have surgery again but hernias are something that can be repaired, and that is a good thing.  I am glad for you. I wonder tho if a year is not too long to wait, but perhaps more healing inside needs to take place first. They know what they are doing, so we have to trust them. Do make sure you go in if you have the increased pain or anything odd going on.  Keep is in the loop on this matter okay.  

Liza, my goodness, that sounds like as much fun as  Cyrisse is having.  They never could get back in me to pull my abdominal muscles together after the infection so my Abs. are literally four inches apart from each other, all the way up & down as the incision is between the V in my ribs to on top of my pubic bone. I can lay in bed and watch my food basically running thru the pipes. lol.  Looks a lot like a baby running laps in there. Lol! No one shows concern about it and have told me it is just fine! So, okay, I can handle that. Ofcourse it made my waist line 4 inches wider then before and that sucked, but oh well! lol. 

I wish you both the best healing you can possibly get and the best of health too.  It is nice  having your input here, so thank you for that too Ladies. Be as well as you can be. 

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@cyrisse

I'm glad you've been able to confirm what it is, and it sounds "easy enough" that it can be dealt with during your takedown. Sounds like the best outcome in this situation and I hope things remain stable for you between now and then. ?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Cyrisse,

I am glad that you are finding out the answers you needed and that things are beginning to look up.

Liza, I am so sorry that you are having issues with hernias. Are you scheduled for hernia repair? I may not have a hernia, but this past summer I had a whopper of a cough and found myself holding in the stoma area with my hand  whenever I coughed or sneezed- I was afraid that I would end up with one by the time the cold left me! I still instinctively do that any time I do cough or sneeze. 

Stella

ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

@sjlovestosing

Thx Stella. You all are awesome.

ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck

Thx Linda

ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

TY so much.

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Cyrisse,

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus here and say that this is heartening news. Here's hoping for a smooth ride all the way through.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2