Looking after that ...

Looking after that skin  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
22/10/2017 9:21 am  

Hello Folks,

You would think after all these years with a Stoma I would be on top of things. Last week I noticed a small sore just at the side of the stoma. nothing to bad and not because of a leak. the problem was I had cut the last wafer I little on the big side, it was a morning I was in a rush and had just run with it. I have left my self with a week of sore skin and have only myself to blame! Have done a bit of crusting and its doing the trick. Problems can occur at any time and may not be your fault, but what I have done is just plain silly.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
23/10/2017 12:39 pm  
Posted by: john68

the problem was I had cut the last wafer I little on the big side, it was a morning I was in a rush and had just run with it.

I've done that, and always suffer the consequences :( 

Hopefully, your skin will heal quickly! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
23/10/2017 9:55 pm  

Yes, I have had sores around my stoma until I got things straight out and have a planned every third day change.. OH that first year and half!! But when I got these?  Painful!! What I did do (which they say not to do) was put an anti-b. cream (very little!!!) around the edges of that area ON my Eikin seal and place my pouch nicely and then firmly and then added the belt- But if u do this-don't wait your normal pouch change date!! = a leak.  Want to avoid that as that is how you started in the first place.  But oh my!! how good that felt when I did that!! Cant do much moving around but-then again you don't feel like it anyway.. Within a few days? I was in the clear.. Good Luck people!! and my waist got thinner with the belt..

I am sorta a "watch and see how I don't" person anyway-but I do get results.. :) !!!!! Anything to get rid of that pain before it gets worse..  I got posion ivy this summer- it was not by the stoma area-but under my wafer!! don't know how I did that!! but I think that someone left a white towel IN MY bathroom and I washed my hands and dryed them on it then dressed Nellie.. Words cant tell u how that felt!!! But it was a B---- of a summer!! Almost put myself into the hospital for that one!!! Some one will pay for that blunder!!! Still looking!! A womans/mothers revenge!! Still on the back burner... yup !!!

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
24/10/2017 11:44 am  
Posted by: Marcie

I got posion ivy this summer- it was not by the stoma area-but under my wafer!!

I can't even imagine! :o 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
24/10/2017 6:22 pm  

Ya, that was a rough one!! Nothing I could do with creams-powders either-- And working in dental, I am so BIG on CLEAN!! And no weeding outside....  Still cant find who left me with it, but the mistake I made was I yelled like crazy and they were covering up their arms and legs and staying at there girlfriends houses, for a few weeks.  Yes, kids are like boom-a-rangs, They are back-- one broken engagement, and the others company went over to Europe.. Don't mind-Fun to have family around.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
24/10/2017 9:43 pm  

Oy vay!!!
Reminds me of the story of the poor wife who went hiking in the woods. Her husband wanted to divorce her when she developed a rash where the sun don't shine.
The judge finally placated him when she explained tearfully her innocence. All she did was clean herself with leaves.
oy vay!!!

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
24/10/2017 9:48 pm  

Good one!!!!!! But that rash is now behind me now hahaha... On to other interesting things that come my way--  Unfortuanly, I get myself  into some odd mess's... As my friends say "it can only happen to u Marcie"- - - thank god!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
04/11/2017 9:13 pm  

John, when I had to cut my own wafers, I made 10-15 up at a time. Most people do-just keep in a plastic bag without humid or very cold--areas... :-) Plan ahead...... IS the key--but that is me...

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
05/11/2017 10:07 pm  

I agree that we need to plan ahead. I found that the Moldable wafer works for me. I prepared a bag with 10 sets (bag+wafer) + eakin ring+powder and prep items. It stays on a shelf near my bed. I end up changing 5 - 7 days. 

If I can voice a complaint,  it is that my stoma is pretty flat and does not protrude a 1/2 in or more. I can't sleep on my back because it pancakes to easily. Then the stinging starts, causing me to wake up. Last night, over 3 episodes in 6 hours. 

Surely,  it is possible to sleep through the night. 

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
05/11/2017 10:22 pm  

Have you tried a convex wafer? I had the same problem using a flat Hollister bag and pouch and had problems with it sticking and not working and Stella is almost flush with this my Surface of my skin. My ostomy nurse put me on a coloplast light convex. The convex nature of the wafer pushes down around Stella and makes her stand up a little bit better 

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
06/11/2017 10:07 am  

Ya, Barb!! Make Stella stand to ATTENTION !!! I what I di was- press harder than normal and made "Nellie" stand in formation, and have not gone back to even skin- Now about and inch.. 3 years now.. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
06/11/2017 4:35 pm  

OH ya I use convex!! Maybe the soft convex is not for me all the time.. BUt Nellie is the boss.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register