Clear all

Stoma Blockage -- Self Inflicted

37 Posts
8 Users
15 Likes
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Topic starter  

Last Friday afternoon I decided to have a snack of dry roasted peanuts.  Should have had about 5 or 6 but went for a couple of handfuls.  Had dinner later which included collard greens.  Around 9:00 pm the bag was empty and my stomach started to cramp.  Massage and heating pad did nothing.  Vomited most of the solid food up around 10:00 pm. Finally about 10:30 pm made a trip to the emergency room.  The emergency room was busy and finally around 1:00am they inserted an NG tube down my nose to stomach and pumped it.  About 2:00am the stoma was outputting again. 

I told the ER doc that I was ready to go home, but, no you better stay all night for observation.  The next day a surgeon wanted a dye x ray of the stomach to stoma to check for kinks etc.  Finally Sunday afternoon I was released to go home.  No wonder health care is so expensive when they held me for 36 hours after the problem was gone.

Okay I know that nuts are on the "do not eat" list and I will make sure to never have them again unless they are in the peanut butter form.  Vent/Rant over...

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

VeganOstomy reacted
(@john68)

That's a pain alright, I love the wee buggers but they ain,t worth it. so like you said I get my fix from peanut butter and even then I go smooth and not crunchy. I was in hospital with a guy who had a blockage, he had been to a party and with may be one or 2 many beers "ahem" did not realise how many nibbles he was having. nurses said the amount he had eaten the function must have been in a peanut factory.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)

Oh gods. The things that tempt us. Me and that salad, you and peanuts. Hell, I've been eating a cashew here and there, chewing well. 

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Bago

Should have had about 5 or 6 but went for a couple of handfuls.  Had dinner later which included collard greens. 

There are definitely some lessons to be learned here!

I'm glad things resolved, but you went through a lot for that indulgence - really sorry that you had to experience the NG tube :(  

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Topic starter  

What was funny to me was that the hospital's general surgeon told me that the small intestine was an inch or larger in diameter (25mm for some of you) and whole peanuts would not stop up the works.  That is why I had to go through the dye injection and x-rays to look for a kink in the intestine.  This guy probably does stoma surgeries and doesn't know a lot about the final results.

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Was it peanuts or coconuts

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hey Bago, sorry about the NG tube. No ones idea of a fun time. I was in for a hernia which had captured some of my small intestine.

Also, re: size of small intestine. The stoma is smaller than the diameter of whatever bit of  intestinal tubing its made out of.  It was explained to me as similar  to a folded over sock ( thats how its made), so  the stoma is much more constricted. Thats why blockages usually occur near the stoma.  Is that right? anybody? We are all working from sketchy info most of the time. ( Except Eric).  Keep on chewing!

also,is your avatar  :

A whole Pizza, a picture of your stoma, a frame grab from a colonoscopy, none of the above, something I don't need to know about? :)....

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Topic starter  
Posted by: Dona

also,is your avatar  :

A whole Pizza, a picture of your stoma, a frame grab from a colonoscopy, none of the above, something I don't need to know about? :)....

The avatar is the last sight of my colon in a 5 gallon bucket in the OR taken by my surgeon.  I guess kinda gross for the forum.  Also the forum name BAGO is not BAG-O for the stoma bag, it is BAGO as in WinneBAGO, our first RV. Ha  Maybe I should change it to something more meaningful.

As far as the diameter of the stoma, it is much less than the diameter of the small intestine as you said.  But my last blockage had the ER doctor sticking his gloved, lubricated finger into the stoma as far as he could.  So it is quite stretchy.  I agree that most blockages occur near the stoma.

Bill

Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Thanks for clearing that up! Very cool. I asked the stoma nurse how much my soon to be removed colon weighed...5 to 8 POUNDS! I was shocked. ( so I guess I have to take THAT into account when I weigh myself). Thanks for posting the picture.

And yes BAGO with a long A... RVing is fun. We used to have an old cabover for out FordF250...

It is very weird to watch someone stick their finger up your stoma. I think Felicity just experienced that too. I still can not believe it has no feelings ( a good thing too).

I was finally diagnosed with the hernia from a CAT scan. Got surgery, all better now...so far.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Bago

What was funny to me was that the hospital's general surgeon told me that the small intestine was an inch or larger in diameter (25mm for some of you) and whole peanuts would not stop up the works.  

One, probably won't - you had handfuls, though! LOL  Sounds like whatever you ate caused a "food bolus obstruction", which is what happened to me. 

ReplyQuote
(@mykirbyroo)

Raw veggies block me up something awful.  Coleslaw, too.  I can eat lots of veggies provided they are cooked through.  None of this "crisp" lightly steamed stuff.  Cook them all the way through and they give me no trouble.  Husband and I were have crudities and dip one night watching TV - cauliflower, carrots, celery, broccoli - and I was so sick for about two days.  Gut was still sore for another two days.  Learned that lesson - but good!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@shagdancer)

Hi,  I am Judy and just had my bladder removed (urostomy bag) in May of this year.   I have been fighting bladder cancer since 2010.  On September 2, I woke up at 4 am vomiting violently and my husband called 911.  I was told I had a bowel blockage and sepsis.  Had the NG tube, spent the night in the hospital and was told I would not have made it had I gotten to the ER 30 minutes later.  I have no idea what caused the blockage.  My next appointment with my surgeon at MD Anderson in Houston, who did the surgery, is in November (I live in Florida).   Hopefully, he will be able to advise me how to avoid anymore obstructions.  Should I be avoiding certain foods?  I am unable to get a definitive answer from my local doctors.  It was a horrible experience and I want to avoid a repeat if at all possible.  I would appreciate any help or advice.  Thanks so much!  Judy

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey, Judy!

Welcome to the forums.

I guess the million dollar question is whether the blockage and sepsis you had is related to your urostomy or not. Finding that out would make it easier to plan things out so you'll know how to avoid them in the future.  

Best of luck with your appointment next month!

When ileostomates/colostomates get blockages, it's often because of their surgery and the standard line of prevention is usually as follows:

• Avoid hard to digest foods like skins/seeds on fruits and veg.
  • Try to chew food as well as possible.
  • Drink fluids together with meals.
  • Eat in smaller quantities throughout the day.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Sprouts for me are a problem no matter how they are cooked or eaten, Celery I break it inch from the top and pull the strings down.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: john68

Sprouts for me are a problem no matter how they are cooked or eaten, Celery I break it inch from the top and pull the strings down.

Which sprouts in particular? The tiny ones like alfalfa or large ones like bean sprouts?  

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

All of them, it ironic that the veg which gives me the most trouble is my favourite.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Granted that vegetables are a very important part of the human diet,  I drink mine using V8 or substitute. 

I luv veggies BUTT....

I started with V8 this summer,  to fight dehydration, and found that besides the chew, I wasn't suffering 3 hours later.

It doesn't always work, but ...

ReplyQuote
(@mykirbyroo)

Zvitusk, you're way smarter than I am!!!  What a GREAT idea!!!  V8 is wonderful stuff, but I never even considered it as a substitute for veggies.  Thank you very much for the tip!!  I am making our my grocery list and just added V8 to it.  Best regards!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Cheers for the tip, we don,t have that here in the UK but bound to have some thing similar

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

And... if any of you live near a Trader Joe's they have a V-8 like drink that is called Garden Patch. It has a lot less sodium ( they also have a low sodium variety) and I think it tastes better. 

I comes only in bottles ( plastic) of about two quarts. I have always loved V-8, so drinking more of it now is an extra added bonus. I also find I can eat kale chips. ( be careful of the heavy stems) but they are a good source of Vitamins, & folate. ( once again, Trader Joe's has the least expensive of them). Bon appetite!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2