In order to keep things simple, the Forum Code of Conduct and Rules were written as a framework to using the VeganOstomy Community Forums.
This page will go over some Frequently Asked Questions about the Community Forum in detail.
- About Forum Membership
- Using the Forums
- I’ve never used online forums before. Do you have instructions?
- Can I post information about a product or service I sell/offer?
- Can I post affiliate links or paid referral links?
- Can I post “Market Research” or surveys for my business/school/organization,etc.?
- Can I post links to my charity or a “go fund me” website that collects donations?
- I have a website/blog/YouTube channel. Can I post a link to it?
- How can I stay safe on these forums?
- I have a medical question. Should I post it?
- Where should I post a topic?
- Can I swear on the forums?
About Forum Membership
Who can join the VeganOstomy Community Forum?
This forum is open to anyone who wants to connect and engage in positive discussion about (but not limited to) living with a chronic illness, living with an ostomy, living as a vegan (or transitioning to one).
I invite patients, their caregivers, family, and friends, as well as healthcare professionals to join the forums.
Who shouldn’t join?
If you’re looking to start arguments, troll, harass or creep on members, then please don’t join. The moderators of this forum have every right to ban you if you break the rules.
If you feel any inclination to post “bacon” or some other crap like that, then I ask you to please not register or participate in these forums.
Can kids join?
In order to comply with privacy laws (COPPA), I would ask that only persons over the age of 13 to register as a forum member.
Is it free to register?
Yes, absolutely. While the VeganOstomy website does accept donations, there is no obligation to do so, and it’s not a requirement to use the site or these forums.
Can I register for more than one account?
No. You are able to change nearly all aspects of your existing account through your account settings. If you’re having trouble with your account, please contact a moderator or admin.
Using the Forums
I’ve never used online forums before. Do you have instructions?
Absolutely! You can find a tour of the forums HERE, but note that new features may be added and not all details can be explained in the walkthrough.
Can I post information about a product or service I sell/offer?
No. This would be considered advertising and it’s strictly forbidden.
If you have an ostomy product that you’d like to see reviewed on the VeganOstomy website, please feel free to contact me.
No. If you are discussing a product with other members and you’d like to post a link to this product (assuming you aren’t the seller or stand to profit from the sale in any way), then feel free to post a standard URL that is not an affiliate link.
Can I post “Market Research” or surveys for my business/school/organization,etc.?
Not at all.
No. Feel free to post those on your social media, but not here.
You are free to add a link to your profile and/or signature for others to see. If you’d like to post a link to a specific blog post/YouTube video that you feel adds to a topic, then go ahead and do that. Posts that look like blatant self-promotions or advertising will be considered spam and will be edited or removed.
How can I stay safe on these forums?
Here are a few guidelines to help keep you safe online.
- Don’t post personal information that you do not want to be publically available. This includes your phone number, address, place of work, etc.
- Don’t share your password. If you have trouble logging in, then you can reset your password or as an admin for help, but you will never be asked for your password.
- Don’t share personal information about other members without their permission.
- Report other members who are harassing you, sending you unwanted messages, being inappropriate, etc. You can let a moderator/admin know in private.
I have a medical question. Should I post it?
It’s important to know that these forums (and this website) are not a substitute for a healthcare professional. As such, please don’t post questions about medical emergencies, medication dosing, severe stoma problems, etc.
This forum and its members will not be held liable for any content on this website.
If you have any questions like that, it then it should be directed to your stoma nurse, surgeon, gastroenterologist, specialist, pharmacist, or family doctor. If you feel like you are in an emergency, then please call 911.
Where should I post a topic?
Each forum is in its own category. Please post new topics in forums that most closely match the subject. This will help other members by keeping the forums clean, and it will also improve the likelihood that your question/topic will be answered.
If you post a topic in the wrong forum, a moderator can move it to another. Feel free to contact one and ask.
Can I swear on the forums?
Please don’t. These forums attract members of all ages, and I’d like it to remain family-friendly.
If you are linking to a video that contains cursing, please be sure to mention that so other members can decide whether to watch it or not.