Page 7 / 7
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
05/11/2017 1:21 am  
Posted by: Marcie

Tweezers????? uhg! 

It's actually not too bad - the first time required like 40 minutes to pull every single hair from under my wafer and it hurt.  But now, I maybe only have to remove a dozen or two short hairs and I'm done. Way faster and much less pain - but I can easily go several changes without worrying about hair, where before it'd be growing out of my wafer after three days!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
05/11/2017 8:08 am  

Oh my painful but its worked, I am not to bad thankfully but always have a few hairs very close to the stoma. I picked up on your tip of using a cue tip/cotton bud to lift away from harms way before cutting. Cheers for that one! A few days ago I seen one of our fellow ostomates with skin problems, I added a few suggestions on the problem one of which was it may be caused by shaving. John never stopped to think it me be a lady!! Open mouth insert foot!!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
05/11/2017 12:57 pm  

I ( well my wife because I shake to much) use a lady's razor and a pointy pair of scissors for around the stoma . Works on me I have a semi hairy belly . Eric plucking sounds painful ! Ouch ! Ha

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
05/11/2017 3:18 pm  
Posted by: Robert

Eric plucking sounds painful ! Ouch ! Ha

The more you do it, the less painful it gets! Honestly, now, it's not a bother at all and the results are so worth it. Never an ingrown hair, never any irritation of the hair follicles, never worrying about the hair compromising the adhesive.  

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
05/11/2017 4:01 pm  

Robert, Your wife is a saint!!!!!!!!! 

Pick some flowers for her when your out and about camping-just a few wild ones mean so much!! 

Maybe a tag sale u can find a small vase to put them in.. Sometime.

As always it is through that counts........ She is indeed a gem!!! Lucky man u are!!!

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
05/11/2017 4:47 pm  

Thanks Marcie . Yes she is a gem for sure don't know what I'd do without her always there for me . Yes I am a lucky guy ! I will pick her flowers I actually used to grow some Roses I would always pick them and put them in a vase in the house .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
carolynreinhart
(@carolynreinhart)
Registered
07/11/2017 9:49 am  

Thank you John. I appreciate your help. 

Carolyn

Carolyn Reinhart

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
carolynreinhart
(@carolynreinhart)
Registered
07/11/2017 10:17 am  

Hi Eric

I hope that you are benefitting from your conference and also enjoying being there and learning lots. I don't know if you will have time to read this or respond or maybe even ask around if anyone knows of a similar experience. 

My question today is about diarrhea. I had my 6th blockage over the weekend and was admitted for 3 days. It finally resolved itself by exploding projectile very liquidy material and has been doing so ever since. My bag fills every -1-2 hrs and it is green or yellow liquid. I came home yesterday and had started so called solid foods Sun eve but found eating what was given not appropriate. This explosive pattern continues to exist. 

My surgeon - Jennifer McMillan referred me 2 months ago to a Dr Sharma in Barrie, he is a colo-rectal surgeon and I haven't heard back and nor has she. My GP came to visit me in hosp and is now chasing up the request. I don't really want to have reparative surgery but it is worth getting his opinion on what is happening. 

In the meantime no one seems to know why I am having this type of diarrhea - have you heard of others having post-blockage diarrhea? It is making me weak really and I don't want to take imodium after a blockage which was the most painful I have had. The onset was only about 20-30 min and I went to hosp by ambulance. I felt sooo sick. 

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Carolyn Reinhart

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
07/11/2017 10:36 am  
Posted by: Tony H

thanks Donna for the good advice , I wont know for a while if my  surgeon will operate , my GI thinks there is no need at the moment and I won't be seeing my surgeon for a while , in the meantime I will be getting another support belt (this time with a hole for the bag) , the one I have already is very wide and I have to use a shield device under it or else it blows up 

I have seen those belts with the hole such a smart solution . There is also one out there that has the hole plus a small base plate if you have a hernia at stoma site . Keeps even pressure from plate .

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
07/11/2017 11:05 am  

Caroyln, I replied to you via-personal Message.. Marcie.

Now for a good rest, you have been through a lot the past 3 days--no breaks. 

Welcome back home!!!!!!!!!!! Marcie.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
07/11/2017 12:34 pm  

Carolyn,

Are you able to eat concentrated forms of protein like smooth peanut butter or greek yogurts?Scrambled eggs?

You do need to find some good sources of nutrition. Do you have access to a nutritionist?

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
07/11/2017 12:38 pm  

Hi Carolyn, Going by my own experience I would get this sort of output after fasting. even when you have nothing left in your tummy and haven't eatin it will keep coming and still for a while when food has been eaten.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
07/11/2017 12:46 pm  

That is in the family of dehydration..

IF you start to feel nasuated, dizzy, weaker, heart pounding, breathing heavy-  just walking to a chair is difficult, this IS dehydration.. So, keep the light meals coming and the liquids going slowly--got to graze eat,  like a cow as My Dr. so nicely put it.. 

I am serverly dehydrated and need help weekly----  just to live... M.

ReplyQuote
carolynreinhart
(@carolynreinhart)
Registered
07/11/2017 2:40 pm  

Hi Donna,

Yes, I have been eating some peanut butter, eggs and yogurt.  I have even eaten some plain chicken and potatoes. Maybe it will eventually slow down? I would rather be home then I can choose what I eat which is helpful. Now I have to find out about this surgeon my surgeon referred me to. It was supposed to be Dr Sharma and they changed it to Dr Riordan. I am investigating. 

take care, Carolyn

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
carolynreinhart
(@carolynreinhart)
Registered
07/11/2017 2:43 pm  

Hi - I forgot to say that I do have access to a dietitian at the hosp. If this goes on I will contact her again. I just saw her a couple of months ago. 

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
07/11/2017 3:22 pm  

Hi Carolyn,

That type of output, as John mentioned, also happens to me when I've fasted (or after a blockage, since it results in me not eating).

So it is "normal" for the circumstances, although it really shouldn't persist for very long as you eat solids. 

If you have access to a dietitian take advantage of their expertise, even if it's just to tweak your diet, but it's always good to go over your meals.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
07/11/2017 5:05 pm  

Your doing good Carolyn--- Keep at it--- Hospitals, just serve u foods that they have-not what u really want and really need.  Have a few cookies.. Dip them into your tea.. Remember you were sick.. takes time to bounce back- I a 68, and find that it takes so much longer now.. But refuse to say/admit to my mind, that I am that old.. and that my dear, gets me into trouble!! 

Like I said, rest in bed and get well--- this goes for you too Barb!!!! when u get home-poor barb, still in there... :-(............

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
07/11/2017 5:35 pm  

Yes, but does this dietitian work with ostomcy?  All the others I have delt with dont..  They get confused..  Ask for a proper one with knowledge...

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register