One year ago today, I launched the VeganOstomy Blog. I started it with the wish to share my experience of having an ileostomy due to Crohn’s disease while maintaining a vegan lifestyle. I’ve learned so much in the past year and hope that I’ve provided some entertainment and education along the way.
Through the blog, I’ve been contacted by so many wonderful people who are at a critical point in their lives. Some have Crohn’s disease or Ulcerative Colitis, and others have cancer, but everyone is a fighter. The strength I witness from people who’ve been to hell and back is truly inspiring. Without your stories, my efforts would be wasted. Know that I stand beside you in support, and know that you are not alone.
My focus over the past year has been primarily on the ostomy side of my life, since that was the biggest change in my life. In the next year, I hope to start expanding that focus to include more IBD and vegan content. I’ve been hesitant to write more vegan-specific posts because I don’t want anyone to shy away from content that might benefit them (like a product review or ostomy tip), but at the same time I want to give information to those who might be considering a vegan lifestyle or would like to learn more about it. I’m always open to suggestions on topics that might be of interest.
YouTube has been a fun outlet for me, and I hope to create new and enjoyable content over the next year. I haven’t done any vlogs and still don’t know if that’s the direction I want to take the channel. If it’s something that you guys want to see, please let me know in the comments.
I’ll still remain active in social media and support groups in the next year. I’d also love to be a mentor to new ostomates or vegans. If the opportunity arises, I’ll take it.
Some things I’d love to happen over the next year would be to host scheduled Google Hangouts with either IBD, ostomy or veganism (or all three!) being the topic of discussion, or even a live Q&A on Google Hangouts where I can answer questions on those topics. I’ll do whatever you guys might be interested in.
Here are the top 10 posts over the past year:
- Coloplast Sensura Mio 1pc #10471 – REVIEW
- Stealth Belt – REVIEW
- ConvaTec Diamonds all-in-one ostomy pouch sachet – REVIEW
- Coloplast Brava Lubricating Deodorant for ostomy pouches – REVIEW
- What’s in your stoma powder?
- Perianal disease: A timeline PART 1
- Grandma’s Hands ostomy pouch cover – REVIEW
- Hollister Ostomy Pouch Hack – OSTOMY TIP
- My Ostomy travel kit – Feb, 2014
- Hollister CeraPlus Skin Barrier and New Image Ostomy Pouch – REVIEW
Top 5 posts that are NOT reviews and not listed above:
- All done! What my last (and hopefully final) hospital stay was like
- Enhancing nutrient absorption – TIPS
- First major leak – meltdown averted
- Salads – Impossible you say?
- Blockages: Fool me twice, shame on me
GIVEAWAY TIME! (The giveaway is now over. Thank you to everyone who entered! A winner will be announced Aug 17, 2014)
As a token of my appreciation to you, I’d like to offer a giveaway for a book that has been a great source of inspiration for me and one that has helped me cope with some of the challenges that Crohn’s disease has thrown at me. Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh is a short read that’s filled with little stories, anecdotes and meditations to help keep you mindful and present in your daily life. I think that anyone can benefit from reading it.
The rules for this giveaway are simple:
- the giveaway is open to anyone, anywhere
- to enter, please fill the form below asking me a question you might have about how I live with an ostomy, Crohn’s disease or my vegan lifestyle. You can ask about food, a certain product I use, clothing, thoughts, suggestions, etc.
- entries will be accepted between Aug 7th and Aug 14th, 2014 and I’ll announce a winner (and the answer to their question) on Sunday Aug 17th.
- I’ll ship the book through Amazon as a gift.
- please only enter once. If you have more than question, simply email me or comment below and I’ll answer it for you.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!
GOOD LUCK! THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF MY JOURNEY.
Background Image used in feature image is courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net