Clear all

To rinse or not to rinse.

138 Posts
15 Users
46 Likes
25.7 K Views
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

R they giving you something to relax you ? You got pretty tight up and scared by the time u went in.. I felt so bad 4 you..  Did u drive yourself? 

You sound better......... :-)

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Hey u guys!!  the flavor liquids are better than the not ones !!!!!! I will never go that route again!  I will ask for flavor and ice and a straw--still not nice........ you can have ice in this drink..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Did u get the other e-mail of holloween ? for your use?   working on it???

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Topic starter  

Yes they are giving me robaxin which relaxes muscles and for me it has properties

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Topic starter  

I have been offered a choice of flavor for my prep this time I can have either the regular flavor or pumpkin spice

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Are you at McDonalds?????? 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Morning Barbara... Just wishing you well.  ( I guess its already afternoon). Rest up.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Barbara get some rest even thou I know you can't get rest in the hospital with them poking and prading  you . Keep us posted on scope tomorrow .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
(@larryc)

Do any of you that wear one piece appliances rinse each time  and if you do, do you use a bottle or are you hooked up to to the faucet in some way?

Thanks 

Larry

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Ileostomats mostly have thinner out outs, so I don't rinse, IF, I do have a thicker out put, I use the deodorant- just one good squirt.. roll it up- and good for then next empty.

ReplyQuote
(@elaine)

Hi larryC

I rinse every time I empty my pouch.  I use a squirt bottle like the one they used when I was in hospital.  I ordered them on Amazon and they were shipped right to my door.

Elaine

ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)

Barbara,

I've been following your saga and wishing you well!

Regarding rinsing, I have an ileo but I like to rinse each time. For whatever reason it makes the whole thing feel lighter.  I learned about rinsing here, no nurse ever rinsed my bag or mentioned it to me!

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

I have a confession to make. I never had heard about rinsing a bag until you guys started to discuss. no one ever told me any like that. Not rinsing gives me no problems but I am an ileo so may not be a big issue. I use a 2 piece and if it becomes very thick I change it. but as I have said on here before any thing that makes an ostomate feel better GO for it. one size don,t fit all.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

I wasn't told about rinsing at the hospital either nore did they rinse it . I learned about it by watching Eric and I started doing it . But then I was told by an ostomy nurse it could shorten wear time so I stopped (partly because at that time I was having problems with leaking) . Then after talking and listening on here about it I started rinsing again and am glad I did  . I only rinse when I'm where it is convenient not out in public . I have an ileostomy sometimes its kinda thick sometimes its liquid depending on what I eat . But been rinsing every time and no problems .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

It makes sense that health care people would"frown" on our handling fecal laden items that are crawling with bacteria and fungi. For that reason alone, we try to get it as clean as possible. After all, that dirty bag is hanging out in my pants.
SO , TO PRESERVE MY SANITY, I RINSE OUT THE BAG WHENEVER I CAN. But that is just me.
Over time, other benefits were noted. One such is the extra milage that I get out of each wafer and bag. Between 6 and 7 days. Which means that I save money.
Also ,I save time. Each change costs 30 - 45 minutes. That is a lot of valuable time. ( I stopped shaving 48 years ago because I calculated the time vs . benefits and the benefits were too minor).

Robert and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Zvitusk, That's my thoughts on it what makes you feel better, you get results and a feel good factor. no one can argue with that.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)

i used to rinse the bag fully until it was really clean , looking back on it I could sometimes feel the water on my skin , not I am cutting the base plate more accurately and getting a better seal but I am just rinsing the bottom half and leaving the top half alone , my output is really corrosive so it will still erode the base plate after 3 or 4 days so I change at the first sign of itching .    

Zvitusk reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

BING !!!   Tony, That is what I do if necessary-- well put. 

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7