Community Forums

Has anyone tried ju...

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone tried just using the wafer, and no ring or paste?

tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

I'm having trouble with rings melting after 2 days. I've tried most of the brands as well as paste and similar results.

Has anyone tried using *just* the wafer/flange?

Without a ring or paste. I want to try but a little scared it might be a big mistake and end up with overnight problems.

john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Tim, Yes you can, rings and paste are very useful aids but a wafer can be worn very well alone. I have only used a small part of a wafer in recent years to fill a little dip. Just make sure you have a good measurement of your stoma so no excessive skin is showing.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @tim

Has anyone tried using *just* the wafer/flange?

I do, and find it works best for me.

Extra supplies should really only be used if they are addressing a specific problem that has no other remedy.

Every new supply you add to your routine simply creates a new opportunity for things to go wrong.

I'm an advocate for simplicy, but I get that this may not be the best approach for everyone. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

When my ostomy was new, I was using so many different products (belt, spray, paste, tape) because that’s what I learned in the hospital. After attending an ostomy support group, I found out that most of those products weren’t always necessary, so one by one, I stopped using them. Now, I only use a skin barrier wipe before I put my flange on, and it works just fine for me. I recognize that all the products I had used serve a purpose, but for me, they aren’t needed.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @tigerlily

I was using so many different products (belt, spray, paste, tape) because that’s what I learned in the hospital.

Yeah, I received a "welcome package" with all kinds of product samples, but really only a few were appropriate for my needs. I can certainly see how new ostomates could get overwhelmed and confused by all that. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered

I only use the wafer.  Works best for me.  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for your answers! It gives me a lot more confidence in trying it out without a ring.

ReplyQuote
lg
 lg
(@grw)
Registered

Tim, as a urostomate I never use anything but the wafer. I do add Silex flange extenders. I think a good fit is essential.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@tim...I only used a ring for the 1st year because that's what was used in hospital & I was sent home with.  One day I just decided to try it without. I found that it was so much better & way more comfortable to me.   To me it was only a sticky mess that was  hard to remove.  11 years no rings, certainly don't miss them either! lol! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

Well, I tried no ring and it didn't work out at all. Luckily no overnight emergency mess, but after less than 24 hrs, the output got under the flange and out to the "tape" part of the flange.

Oh well, glad I tried anyway.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Tim, When you took of the wafer was the leak at a certain place. It may be a case that you only need a small part of the ring to level out a dip or help with a bending point. Good on you for trying it out 👍

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@tim

Hi Tim,,

Did you ever consider using a light convex? I use one and put paste on the areas where I have dips. It has worked wonders for me. Maybe you should ask your doctor or ostomy nurse. Good luck!

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

@john68 No it was all the way around. but it certainly could have started at one side and went on from there.

ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

@sjlovestosing Thanks, I'll look into it.

ReplyQuote
DutchOzzie
(@dutchozzie)
Registered

My experience has been that without a ring, I have to be very careful that the wafer is not touching the stoma. If it does, I had a couple of times that I developed granulomas which are painful. It seems that the granulomas don't develop if the ring is touching the stoma. So rather than cutting the wafer to size, I use a factory-cut wafer that is a little big (couple of mm too big) and position the ring relatively close on/touching the stoma. That seems to do the trick.

Do others have a similar experience with wafer touching the stoma and causing granulomas?

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Its a fine line literally between a wafer too tight and too much skin showing. I have had granulomas around the base of the stoma and they are painful. The thrive on damage to the stoma or skin exposed to output. I agree that if you are having trouble getting the correct fit a barrier ring will leave you safe. Plus if you output eats the wafer on longer wear time it’s an added defence. As always if it works for you go for it 👍

DutchOzzie and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@dutchozzie...I use only the wafer for many years now. I tend to cut as Eric advised, on the other side of the line drawn/traced on the wafer. I measure monthly as I'm 12 plus yrs in. 

I prefer a closer cut hole to the stoma  but as John said, there's  a fine line between too close & too much skin. I have the most success cutting as I said above & turning the wafer not the scissors while cutting. I get a clean smooth cut this way. lol, ( I learned that while Scrapbooking! lol.)  Also when 1st applied I warm the wafer with a blow dryer, then apply but I spend extra time pressing for a good seal around the hole ASA applied.  I dry my stoma with tissue before putting it on to keep it dry under the wafer from the start.  I always use Barrier Spray & dry it with a blowdryer. before applying. It's just faster I find.

I have never had a Granuloma.

Linda

ReplyQuote