Community Forums

For those who kneel...

Notifications
Clear all

For those who kneel when emptying their bag...

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

So, most of you probably know that I'm a kneeler when emptying my bag. Have done so for years as it's most convenient and comfortable for me. 

However, there is one untended consequence that I've only started to discover recently - my jeans now have holes in the right knee :( 

I'll admit, it takes time for the hole to develop, and it does happen sooner on thinner denim, but I guess this is a word of warning to those who empty their bag the same way. 

And I guess as a question, is there an easy to way mitigate this? I'm not a fan of putting patches on my jeans, but sewing them up seems to only create another rip above or below the original hole :( 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and LLNorth liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

One idea would be to put a tear in the other knee, as well as a couple other random rips and make it look intentional and stylish. Another would be to try to prevent the rips, maybe by having a towel or cushion you kneel on to help protect your jeans?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

A patch over the knee almost always holds up better than sewing a tear, in my experience. I have younger brothers - they were always sliding on their knees! -  and I remember fixing torn or thinned jeans knees many times when we were kids at home.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Ugh! Our poor clothes had no idea the dangers they would be facing on an ostomates body!! lol!  I have 2 suggestions for you....

1 - use a Gardeners Mat to kneel on. They are often a plastic covered foam that could be cut into sections and then transportable as well.  I have one made with the same materials as pool noodles & my arthritic knees do not even grumble when I'm using mine outside. 

2 - I think I would use some velcro and secure a big enough patch & create a door secured well with velcro,  keeping your jeans looking neat and tidy for that example you want to set for students. lol! You could remove the patch to kneel or  open a patch like door to kneel on your new handy-dandy Gardners Mat to accomplish your goal.  If it were me I'd go with the door, this would prevent a crooked patch.  If you go this route, have the sewer reinforce your patch areas with extra Jean material much like a picture frame.  Use your older jeans to measure were the "door" would go allowing room for the bent joint without causing another issue for the jeans.  Thrift stores are a great place to find old jeans for patching clothing. Check the front & backs of the lower legs to match Jean colour & thickness. Because adding velcro or reinforcing the sides is difficult to do in the leg of pants, have the door open from bottom to top or vice versa for easier velcro or even snap placement. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

Hi Eric,

I am a kneeler as well. I usually kneel on a cushy bath mat. After almost three years doing this, I haven't any issues with worn out jeans. So far, these old knees of mine haven't worn out either :-) .

Stella

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Posted by: @veganostomy

And I guess as a question, is there an easy to way mitigate this? I'm not a fan of putting patches on my jeans, but sewing them up seems to only create another rip above or below the original hole :( 

Wear shorts - a short answer LOL

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered

@chrisandbagpus

try a volleyball knee pad..slips over knee and is transportable..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sjlovestosing

Hi Eric,

I am a kneeler as well. I usually kneel on a cushy bath mat. After almost three years doing this, I haven't any issues with worn out jeans. So far, these old knees of mine haven't worn out either :-) .

Stella

I may have to try a pad or something. My assumption was that friction from any source would still wear down the denim, but l suppose that kneeling on a more gentle surface is going to be more forgiving than hard tile. LOL 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

@veganostomy A folded wash cloth might work well to kneel on (for you one-knee kneelers) - and at the end of a day or two can just go into the laundry.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Eric

Another occasion where a D-shape memory foam bolster can been useful. stop the hole in trouser and should reduce the compression on the patella which could cause problems later in life!

Your sewing repair engineer would appreciate the extended service schedule, unless its a DIY stich up :-)

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@chrisandbagpus I'm doing all the "repairs" myself, but I don't mind it - it's enjoyable to fix things, even holes in jeans! LOL

I think I might have found the true culprit to my issue. My upstairs (main) bathroom is just tile floor (like stone tile). The bathroom downstairs, which is one I tend to use more often during the day, has carpet.

So the last few times I've been mindful of how I'm kneeling and I can "feel" more friction on the knees when I'm kneeling on the carpet. I'm certain that the friction between the carpet and demin just don't mix.

But as shorts weather is upon us at any day, this may be a problem that goes away for the season! 😂😂

ChrisandBagpus and LK liked
ReplyQuote