Community Forums

Notifications

Alternatives to using toilet paper re: COVID-19 toilet paper shortages  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 18, 2020 2:59 pm  

I was sent a private message from an ostomate who has a high-output ileostomy about what options they have for cleaning their bag as all toilet paper in their area has been sold out. 

My suggestion was to rinse out the bag with water to clean it, then use something to dry the tail end - coffee filters, gauze pad, old rags that can be washed a reused. Since the outlet won't be soiled after rinsing the bag, this shouldn't be too difficult, but I'd like to know if anyone else has any suggestions or tricks to share.

john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 18, 2020 3:47 pm  

This is just a thought, I use heavy duty hand wipes for work. They are basically strong kitchen roll, I know there seems to be plenty of these still about. Probably because they will be in motor factor stores and hardware shops.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
March 18, 2020 3:49 pm  

Being that no supply chains have been broken, as in floods, hurricanes, fires , etc, shelves should be restocked soon.   hopefully people are starting to realize 20 rolls per person is much more than they considered.  

I myself have used paper towel for years, though maybe in same catagory.  the thickness and rigidity make it far easier to work with.  I cut a towel in small rectangles and fold over into a small square equal to the width of the drain output.  folded over once gives good thickness,  eliminating getting "stuff" on your fingers.

rinsing helps reduce clean up for sure. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 18, 2020 4:12 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

Being that no supply chains have been broken, as in floods, hurricanes, fires , etc, shelves should be restocked soon.   hopefully people are starting to realize 20 rolls per person is much more than they considered.  

I also share this sentiment. Until then, it's possible that many people will be without these supplies, so hopefully, we can brainstorm some alternatives. 

I was just thinking that one of the advantages of using a bag that has a separate clip is that you can roll back the outlet to empty it and then roll it back down when you are done - zero need for toilet paper, but it would not be something that most people use already and it also comes with its own disadvantages. 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
March 22, 2020 6:16 pm  

I empty the bag, fill it with water (I use a plastic cup), close the bag, slosh the water around, then empty again.  Then I normally wipe the outlet with a small amount of TP, but I also use wipes sometimes.  I think most wipes are sold out also, but I think this would work well with an old washcloth or rag that can be washed and reused.  Things come out pretty clean after the water rinse.  

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
March 23, 2020 11:33 am  

I am a rinser - have been using a paper cup, which doesn’t hold much and so am now rinsing a second or third time, which means less toilet paper is needed. Trying to make my bags last one more day, to conserve them also, just in case.

ReplyQuote
Share: