Community Forums

Stoma Caps  

RSS

Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 3, 2018 12:00 pm  

Would it be worth it to try using a stoma cap for a short period to allow some of the skin usually covered by a wafer to "air out"?  Thought I'd throw this one out there before I try to get ahold of some.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 3, 2018 12:12 pm  

I'm actually in the process of writing an article about stoma caps!

My quick suggestion is this: If you have a colostomy and irrigate, then stoma caps may be quite useful. 

If you have an ileostomy or a colostomy that you do not irrigate, stoma caps will not work effectively and you may end up running into a lot of problems as they offer zero capacity for holding output. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 3, 2018 12:29 pm  

I have an ileostomy, just wondered if it would keep output contained for a little while to let the skin breath.  I'm talking less than an hour probably.

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
July 3, 2018 3:45 pm  
Posted by: Sasquatch

I have an ileostomy, just wondered if it would keep output contained for a little while to let the skin breath.  I'm talking less than an hour probably.

I know this will sound crazy but I always thought putting a condom on stoma and holding it on with your hand would give you a way to air out skin for an hour . You would have to sit down and stay still I guess but it could work. 

I change in the morning when my bowels are still sleeping. I clean skin then wrap my stoma in gauze and air skin for 15 min . I fan my skin while I do this feels good to air dry . I have had no skin issues and my wafer sticks on well by doing this . 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 3, 2018 4:41 pm  

Doesn't sound crazy at all to me Bubbles, in fact it might be worth a try.  This is why I love this community, people tossing ideas like this out there.

I like to air dry mine as well, I'd just like to go a little longer.  Typically I do my changes about an hour after I have dinner.  It seems like I have a lull in my digestive process about then. 

I've read about the suggestion to do the morning change, but that's never worked well for me.  My system tends to start churning as soon as my feet hit the floor, it's always done that, even back to my UC days.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 3, 2018 4:50 pm  

Hey there young Sasquatch..I  change my bag mostly in the morning or the middle of the night...not by choice.  Mine is always active it seems, sometimes worse than others.  However, I was concerned about the skin also, never getting air, that sort of thing.  So, one of the things I do for when I change my bag over is...I have previously cut "bar towels"  (you can buy in the $ store)  and I cut them into about 2 inch squares.  When I change my bag I wash the skin with just plain water and massage the skin around my stoma with the damp piece of cloth.  This works well for when there is residue sticking to my tummy. It feels good to stimulate the skin for a bit, not sure, but like any massage I am sure it helps with circulation in that area.  I make sure the skin is really dry before putting a bag back on, but it does feel really good to give it a little massage like that.  I rarely get any sores  and I appreciate that so much.  My biggest downfall was not realizing my stoma was kind of D shaped, I also always make sure the skin is very dry around my stoma as it helps the bag to stick, I always press lightly to stick the opening of the bag by my stoma first, then I work the rest of it. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 3, 2018 5:22 pm  

Necessity is the mother of invention!! Every wee minute that the skin gets air is great. Change time should be quiet and relaxed ( not always possible) as a lot do I use the hair dryer to heat the wafer (be careful) and also use it on cold to dry the skin. its a lovely feeling.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 4, 2018 9:53 am  
Posted by: Sasquatch

In that situation, what I tend to do is hang a kitchen catcher bag off my waistband (just as if I were to change my appliance) and either let my stoma air out openly or loosely wrap it with gauze so the skin around my stoma can get air.

A stoma cap would go on like a regular appliance, so there would be no benefit if that's the goal.

Posted by: Bubbles

I know this will sound crazy but I always thought putting a condom on stoma and holding it on with your hand would give you a way to air out skin for an hour . You would have to sit down and stay still I guess but it could work. 
I would caution on the use of a condom close to your stoma - most will be lubricated and nearly all of them will have some other additive that may irritate your stoma or interfere with the wafer going on it after that. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 6, 2018 1:58 pm  

HERE  IT  IS  BUBBLES!!!!!!

a condom ostomy bag.    ran across this awhile ago, thought nothing of it til i read this thread.

fast forward to 1.48 minutes or watch the whole thing, kinda interesting.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
July 6, 2018 5:44 pm  

Very interesting.  love the condom one. in a hurry? that should do the trick.. when Nellie acts up during changes. :-) 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
July 7, 2018 3:17 pm  
Posted by: dogtalkerer

a condom ostomy bag.    ran across this awhile ago, thought nothing of it til i read this thread.

Cool so I a ain't so crazy after all . There are many chemical free condoms on the market. Airing the skin for a few minutes is very healing . 

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 7, 2018 5:00 pm  
Posted by: dogtalkerer

Interestingly enough, a guy out of Montreal had something very similar to that condom ostomy appliance (not using condoms, but very similar in look and function). Looks like he wasn't the inventor of the idea 😂😂

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register