Community Forums

Best bag or brand to use?  

RSS

BetterBowels
(@betterbowels)
Registered
27/06/2018 9:04 pm  

Thank you, Robert. I appreciate the welcoming. Do you feel like there's a bag or brand that works best for you? I've noticed that the Coloplast convexity bags are the best for my ostomy. I think the skin around my stoma is too repressed for flat bags, and I dont like dealing with barrier rings or strips. 

I've been told I'm eligible for a reversal (J Pouch) but I don't know if I even want that at this point. I'm afraid of how life will be after a reversal. I can't stand the thought of reverting back to bathroom urgency or runny stool.

Donna2138 liked
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
29/06/2018 5:00 pm  

Hey Donna . Hollister is the brand I use . Its what they started me with at the hospital . At first I used a flat barrier and had problems with leaks and skin irration for months before I went to see my ostomy nurse . She is great runs a support group here and is very nice and knows her stuff . My Norman is kinda short and kinda points down a little . She had me try a convex barrier and that did the trick for me . I wear a 2 piece and I don't use any rings or strips . That was probably around 18 months ago and I haven't had a single problem since . Knock on wood !!

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Donna2138 liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
30/06/2018 9:22 am  

Hi everyone,

My ostomy nurse and I are still trying to find the best system for me. I have a feeling that I will be going to a convex system, though she is trying to find ways to avoid that right now - I guess that's because they can be inflexible. I have also looked into the Coloplast convex system, which seems promising, as they have three different types and will show her the website so we can both look at it together.  

I have a question concerning ostomy bands or maternity belly bands - can they cause pancaking for a colostomate? I am still in my learning curve in all this - sometimes it can feel a little overwhelming.

God Bless!!

Stella

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
30/06/2018 9:42 am  

Hi Stella, finding the right system can be a chore but you will get their and it will be a second skin and a friend, having a colostomy yer output is thicker and yes with pancaking can be a problem with the wraps if say it too tight, wearing it a little loose will still give support and hide the bag. Of course it’s going to seem overwhelming at the start but I have been following your posts and you are doing brilliant. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
30/06/2018 10:14 am  

Hey guys, I split this topic from Donna's introduction so it could have it's own home 😊

I don't think there's one brand to rule them all. Every company offers something unique but the big names like Hollister, Coloplast  ConvaTec, and B. Braun are big for a reason! 

I suggest sampling what you can. This page has a list of companies who offer free samples :

https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-suppliers-free-samples/

Now, you're going to have to decide if you want a one piece, two piece, clear, opaque, drainable, closed, big, small ... As you can see, there are many configurations and styles! 

I have a few articles that explain more :

https://www.veganostomy.ca/1pc-vs-2pc-ostomy-appliance-ostomy-tips/

https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-wafers/

https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-pouches/

Continue to ask questions 😊😊

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
30/06/2018 11:58 am  

Donna and Stella, do as Eric suggested and try the many different bags and even companies. If at some point your find you have left overs, you can donate them...I do to my local hospital and the ER room. Even the clinics appreciate them. It is trial and error, but we are lucky to be able to get samples in the mail to try on our own. It is amazing what is out there for this purpose.  Thru Eric videos, I was delighted to find samples and completely changed what I had left the hospital with. It will depend on your needs and also what you do for work and sleep.  There are tapes that can be used for extra security which have really protected my clothes on many occasions, and I am using a bag with charcoal vents for gas as I seem to get a lot of especially if I eat bread.  I have just ordered a stick on gas valve of sorts to try, to make gas release easy for me.  I have been poking a small hole in the top of my bag and using the  s tape to cover it so I could release it anytime. Also, go to the pouch sights..Hollister for instance and just spend some time seeing what they have. You can contact them by phone to ask questions and Eric does product reviews. I have had my pouch (Rose, my stoma name) since Sept.26,2008...I think this makes me old!  Naming her helped me accept her from the start. My surgeon told me to do that. But do peruse the sights and see if your need can be helped. It will take time, but take it. It is worth while and Eric lists several companies you can check out too. Also ask your pharmacist what they know about costs and ordering in for you.  Mine does that for me as I do not have a charge card. Have fun with it.  Watch as many of Erics videos as you can. I had to go thru this alone. I had never thought to look for help on the computer but found this thru face book or an add or something that led me straight to Erics sight. I will forever sing his praises. He rescued me!!! Good luck doll.

Linda

ReplyQuote
SMV
 SMV
(@smv)
Registered
01/07/2018 10:57 pm  

My suggestions when someone is figuring out an ostomy appliance configuration:

1.  Make sure you have a top-notch WOCN. She/he will make all the difference in the world for you as you are figuring this out. If you aren’t getting the information and support you need, switch to someone else.  

2.  Commit yourself to doing the trial-and-error you need to get there. Don’t settle. 

3.  My mantra is “less is more.”  There are so many products out there and so many choices that it can be downright overwhelming. Start with the basics - a pouch that fits your body’s needs and the simplest routine possible - and build from there. If you need to add products (pastes, powders, tapes, etc.), then by all means do it.  

4.  Remember that if you were sick leading up to your surgery, your body shape might change as you get healthier. This can cause your appliance needs to change. For example, I was underweight at first and did not need convexity; however, as I became healthy again, I regained curves and needed to switch to convexity. No big deal - just needed to stay on top of changing needs. 

Best wishes!

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
02/07/2018 11:08 am  

Thanks so much for everyone's advice and support!  I have been going to Eric's videos over and over again as I do trust his judgement. I also have a top-notch ostomy nurse - the best in the area and well loved by other ostomates. She and I have decided to try out Coloplast's Sensura Mio Convex Light. I called a representative, and she was more than accommodating. I love the Coloplast product anyway, but their service is par none! Even Hollister doesn't send out their samples as quickly as they do. (Though I must admit, I love Hollister's floating flange. Now if only Coloplast had one...)

Stella  :-D 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
02/07/2018 2:26 pm  

Stella, YOU will love the Mio !!! Light weight, molds well to your body, and holds well.  At first, it itched a little but got used to it.  During this time of changing over, I used another product I think is the same as your wearing. Would love your feed back as your  new and all, Took me years-but I did not have this blog either.. Best. M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
02/07/2018 4:25 pm  

Stella,

Coloplast does make a good product, I sampled some of their Mio Flex products not long after I had surgery.  I liked a lot of things about them, especially the fabric backing.  In the end the fit and adhesive on the Hollister products worked better for me.  Everyone has a little different preference, but as long as they work for you, that's what matters most. It's good to see you navigating through this and finding what you are comfortable with.  

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
02/07/2018 5:52 pm  

Yep sample and try, we can offer advice on the product that we use by stating pros and cons. ie I wear a Convatec 2 piece, love it and have done for years. but if I was a a swimmer or liked water sports it would not stand up to it. I have a physical job and a lot of bending and their is no problems! On the down side I find Convatecs web site "pants" it confusing and hard to navigate! but any of the reps I deal will are brilliant. It is easy to empty and to clean uses a clip to seal which some may not like but has only once let me down and that was my own fault. The wafer is thicker than most brands put comfortable and does not peel or crack. Disclaimer!! I do not work for or have any interests in Convatec lol.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Songbringer
(@songbringer)
Registered
10/07/2018 5:02 pm  

Hi all. Anyone here ever try the Esteem synergy® Adhesive Coupling Technology™ Convex Moldable Durahesive® Skin Barrier? I seem to recall when my ostomy was new that I used adhesive coupling, but I've tried so many different types of flanges, etc. due to a very complicated ostomy and I can't recall everything I've tried, but I seem to recall these irritating my skin horribly...thank you severe contact dermatitis. :( Also wondering how these hold up due to the fact that I have an irregular shaped stoma due to what may be a loop end, and therefore, cutting a flange to the perfect shape is impossible, never mind that my flange constantly erodes at the exact spot where this possible loop end is, (even though I alternate between stoma paste and thick barrier rings, and do use powder) never mind the fact that I have horrible stoma site placement due to a surgeon that is completely and utterly clueless, ditto for the stoma nurse. Seeing as these are moldable, I am wondering if they will fit my stoma perfectly due to their design. Also, are these deep convex? One thing I have learned is that I definitely need deep convex, as without that, my bag contents pool up and leak under the flange. The feeling of something crawling on my skin is horrible, and a waste of my products, due to the fact I have to change often when this happens, never mind the instant and severe skin breakdown I get as a result. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register