Community Forums

Ostomy Accessories Guide: Stoma Guards  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 25, 2017 11:00 am  

Let's talk about stoma guards!

Have you used them? Do you have a favorite brand or style?

My full article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert liked
Penelopeplop7
(@penelopeplop7)
Registered
July 26, 2017 12:48 am  

I am a new ostomate.I've only had mine for a few weeks. Your videos have helped me tremendously! I feel more comfortable, more informed and just over all feel better about having a ostomy. I told my visiting nurse about your YouTube channel and in turn she told some of her other ostomy patients about it and they too are also now watching.
My question is I'm a LNA. I work at New Hampshire veterans home where are all of my residents have dementia. That be said I get hit quite often. The majority of the time it is in my abdomen. So I am looking for a guard that will protect my stoma but will also be comfortable and allow me to bend over... squat... and neal. Which one would you recommend? I'm not too concerned about concealing it because I wear scrubs.
Thank you
PenelopePlop7

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 26, 2017 9:20 am  

Thank you very much for spreading the word :)

The Ostomy Resolutions guard will likely be a good choice if you wear a two piece appliance. It's small enough to be comfortable, doesn't interfere with bending and will protect your stoma.

If you have a one-piece bag, then go with something that covers the front half of your bag, like the Stomashield does. You can get those in various sizes and bending shouldn't be difficult if you go with the small or medium.

But keep in mind that there are many other guards available. I list those two because I have experience with using them.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

ReplyQuote
Penelopeplop7
(@penelopeplop7)
Registered
July 26, 2017 10:31 am  

Thank you For a quick response. I will check those out.
PenelopePlop7

ReplyQuote
bunnyman666
 bunnyman666
(@bunnyman666)
July 4, 2018 8:25 am  

I am a new ostomate, and most likely a temporary ostomate; that being said, I gave up ice hockey for long enough. I can say that the thick output issue can be a thing; however, a barrier only lasts me two days where I feel safe.

I am going to take my stoma guard out for her maiden voyage playing hockey on Sunday. I play goal, so my hope is that between my stomaplex stoma guard and a few more pieces of supplemental protection, I think I will be good.

Any input would be appreciated.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 4, 2018 9:57 am  

Hey, Bunnyman666.

The Stomaplex guard should offer you more than enough protection! Depending on how comfortable it is when you bend, you may need to raise it higher on your abdomen. Test it before you hit the ice :)

Have fun!

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 4, 2018 11:50 am  

Hi Bunnyman, The stomaplex should do the job, I have seen a girl online who uses one for Roller Derby and that's a rough contact sport. Ice hockey ain,t no walk in the park either. we have the Belfast Giants and seem them a few times. Good luck for Sunday :-) 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 5, 2018 3:10 pm  

stoma guards have always puzzled me a bit????

for one thing the stoma really isn't fragile, my understanding is, intestine is pretty tough stuff.  to me many stoma guards look like they would cause pain or injury if fallen on.

the bag itself provides good protection, I wear overalls all the time, sleddogs constantly jump on me, its surprising how often they hit the stoma directly.    i even had a bag tear from a sharp claw once.

i held off chemo so i could do a 25K cross country ski race, I fell twice hard on my stomach, no problems.

in a mtn bike race I fell on a steep hill, bruised a rib.  and I did once take a handlebar end right to the stoma on a crash, that hurt, but the whole area hurt-no damage.

I can see using a weight training belt or those lifting wraps people use when they lift heavy objects.

the only exception I can see is if you are around sharp objects or say working with heavy steel with sharp hard corners,

I've always read that when you sneeze to hold in your stoma to avoid hernia, so i push mine flat when I sneeze.

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 5, 2018 3:45 pm  

I've always read that when you sneeze to hold in your stoma to avoid hernia, so i push mine flat when I sneeze.

I'll testify to holding the stoma with a cough or sneeze!  I had a really nasty cold at the 1st of the year, I honestly thought I'd torn something up inside from all the coughing I did.  

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 5, 2018 4:50 pm  

On the guards and just my thoughts a lot would wear them to accommodate clothes, I have always  had a physical job but never have never worn one as it felt to restrictive. I agree that the stoma is a tough wee fella but a sharp edge still make me shudder! I passed on going paintballing not long passed as I was afraid of getting the stoma. Any thing like sneezing, being sick or even coughing its a good idea to just cup the stoma after all their is a reason we close our eyes when we sneeze.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 6, 2018 7:47 am  
Posted by: dogtalkerer

the bag itself provides good protection, I wear overalls all the time, sleddogs constantly jump on me, its surprising how often they hit the stoma directly.    i even had a bag tear from a sharp claw once.

I would say that a two piece appliance can offer some protection to stomas that don't protrude very much, but it's risky to rely on that if you're stoma is being subjected to impact, pressure, or sheering. 

I've taken a few unexpected hits to my stoma and the nausea and bleeding that followed was not nice at all. Guards can do a great job when someone's stoma is at the belt line, too. 

ReplyQuote
bunnyman666
 bunnyman666
(@bunnyman666)
July 6, 2018 8:49 am  

Thank you

ReplyQuote
bunnyman666
 bunnyman666
(@bunnyman666)
July 6, 2018 9:00 am  

I have had my stoma guard for three weeks as I wanted to wear normal clothes to the office. My main concern, however, was the car safety belt. That alone has been worth every penny that I paid for my Stomaplex.

Thanks for having this great website!

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 6, 2018 1:28 pm  

well the old saying applies, everybody is different.   I do strongly suggest overalls if possible, wear a shirt on the outside and it just looks like you are wearing pants.  old pairs I cut into shorts for summer.  I feel well protected with a layer of denim across stoma.  those rigid protectors just look uncomfortable and troublesome.     my 10 yrs worth...... 

ReplyQuote
bunnyman666
 bunnyman666
(@bunnyman666)
July 11, 2018 9:44 am  

I did play this past Sunday. Whilst the stoma guard could not help my poor angles or slowness, it did fine even when I got a shot to the gut. I have four layers of protection including the guard over my stoma, and all I heard was a “thud”.

Sasquatch liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 11, 2018 9:46 am  

I'm glad it worked out and you were able to get out there! Thanks again for sharing that.

ReplyQuote
bunnyman666
 bunnyman666
(@bunnyman666)
July 11, 2018 10:09 am  

I will not allow something like this to stop me! With the horrendous colitis I had, an Ostomy is NOTHING in comparison!

I am glad to share. I want people to
not stop living!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register