Ostomy Protector Seat Belt Cover: REVIEW  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
December 14, 2019 4:36 pm  
Posted by: @VeganOstomy

Has anyone else had problems with their seat belt?

Eric, I guess there is one advantage of having a recessed stoma - my body is a built-in stoma protector.  🤣 Gotta look at the bright side. 

-Liza
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
December 14, 2019 8:24 pm  

@jtvt

Hello, Linda here....I am 5'6" and like you mentioned lacking in fat in other places as well as my hands. My stoma falls out to a good 1 1/2 - 2 inches on average all the time. My first seat belt experience was not pleasant! My stoma is right at my usual waste band of all my clothing and seat belts, and,  because it is hard to find pants with the 18 inch rise from center crotch, to just above my pouch.  I have learned to carry a tape measure and will not even try pants on unless they have that 18 inch rise to below the waist band, this allows for shrinkage.  I call then my chin up pants! lol. But I also found a good alterations handy for proper butt fix.

I am already badly anemic and any little bump or rub, my stoma  bleeds. It's okay that you asked your own questions and nice you tried to find answers first, but we are here for you too and everyone has a different way of wording  their  own questions so go ahead and ask away.  I know for myself  I may forget to mention something  in one forum but remember in another.

With limited funds,  I had made my own seatbelt stoma protector.   I cut a section off a pool noodle and then cut that  in half length wise.  I then glued each half to a kitchen sponge with a bit of over hang to soften the edges of the noodle, later trimming as need be.   To secure the noodle to sponge, I applied a white glue and then over night I weighted it down with heavy books till it dried.  I made a tube from material I had and secured the sponges in that at the appropriate distance to keep the seat belt and the material off  of  and away from my stoma.  Next I made another tube for a sleeve, wider, to allow for velcro and to fold over the width of a seat belt to secure it to the seat belt.  Some hand sewing was involved to keep the material off my stoma and make the bridge between sponges I find this works well for me. I just leave it in the car and find no need to protect my stoma much at home. I have two little  dogs now and that requires lots of bending and picking up, one is a puppy being house and now outdoor trained. I also garden and do all my own housework, most of the time. This was a cheap and easy fix for me.   If you don't sew you could always find a person who does Alterations. They are usually crafty people and like to solve problems too.  Fix up your sponges ahead of time and go with a plan and perhaps some measurements. She/he should be able to work with you from there.

If you don't have material I would certainly use a pair of longer mens wool/ (or¿)  work socks to accomplish the tubes. Hot glue is a handy thing and you can buy a strip of velcro at a sewing material store.  Also, the only change I might make is in finding a piece of hardish plastic to make the deck for  the bridge above my stoma.

Linda

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 15, 2019 1:25 am  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

vegan did you actually experience flow problems with a seat belt or since you were concerned enough to ask the doctor,  did you just start out using the guard?  or maybe its the vehicle type?

Yes, major issues with flow because of the seatbelt, and some vehicles are worse than others when it comes to putting pressure directly over the stoma (which is incredibly uncomfortable).

Until I used a seatbelt guard, I was quite uncomfortable. 

During the winter, since my jacket isn't super long, I do still use the seatbelt guard and wear my belt normally. Certain jackets do offer enough protection where the guard isn't necessary, but i don't find it necessary to remove the guard (I just slide it over if needed). 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register