Community Forums

Great idea or unnecessarily complicated? The Lazarus Ostomy Pouch Cleaning system  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 5, 2019 10:32 am  

I came across this video on YouTube and wanted to hear what you guys think. 

Part of me thinks, "that could be really useful to some people", but another part of me thinks, "You can always use a water bottle, and that spares you from removing your bag, which could be messy if you have an active stoma."

Is this something you'd use? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 5, 2019 11:32 am  

Well my first reaction was I made me smile, my second was it’s darn clever idea, the next though was how much does the stand and fixture cost. I can get a good clean finish with toilet paper and have never needed water. My thought if it helps some one out it’s no bad thing. What will they think of next! Will we see walk through cleaning stations at the local garag. Gas ⛽️ air check oil and a clean bag 😀

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona, VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
April 5, 2019 2:11 pm  

I agree with Eric - using a water bottle would be much easier!

Stella

Dona, kenf11, VeganOstomy and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
April 5, 2019 8:29 pm  

Oh my goodness...I honestly thought it was left over from April Fools Day.  My apologies .  :/   I can see where it may be beneficial to some and I think it would be relatively inexpensive to install.  I wondered if I wanted the sink that high in my face when cleaning the bag. Maybe that was just for the purpose of the video? On the topic of cleaning, I would like a little hose and shower head to clean the nozzle he hooks it to and for cleaning the bowl also, and maybe yourself?  In reality, for me, the less gadgets the better.  Note he is using a two piece system, It would not work well for a one piece system at all. I have to wonder, in the case of pancaking, would it clog the  area to be rinsed and thus cause a kick back of a blow out and whole other story for clean up?  Yuk!  Nope, not for me. Interesting tho! 

Linda

Linda

Dona and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
April 6, 2019 5:07 pm  

Looked like a joke to me as well.

As Linda point out, it would only ( possibly) work for two piece bags.

And of the people who use two piece ( like me) there must be plenty who don't rinse bags ( like me... just a good wipe).

BUT if I did rinse, a bottle of water would work great. ( As others have pointed out).

Looks like they are using a toilet bowl as a sink ( ???) in the video. Which leaves me wondering, if its near the toilet, how could you ever sit on the thing?...

Maybe next year a washing machine for bags?..wash, spin .fold and fluff.

Also the name LAZARUS?? Huh? Bringing back bags from the dead zone...

I hope they ask some ostomates before they market this....

Thanks for posting, Eric.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 8, 2019 10:36 am  
Posted by: john68

was how much does the stand and fixture cost.

More than what I'd think people would pay for it! Approx. $1,434.00 in Canadian dollars or £825.00! 😮

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 8, 2019 11:22 am  

Woh! That’s on the steep side! Then having it installed. If someone really thought it a good idea their is bound to be some way to adapt and add a fitting to a bedet. That would buy a lot of ostomy supplies 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
April 8, 2019 11:40 am  

My neighbor installed the hosing and a light for a bidet in his mothers existing toilet bowl. The light was just for kicks apparently, she thought it was great at night, anyways, he did it in 25 min. for under $50.00 Canadian. It worked great, and the elderly lady thought it was the greatest thing. However, when you think of it, all you really need is a hose and water or a bottle of water, to get the same result as this gadget. Mind you , you may want the end of the hose to have a tap fixture like I have at the kitchen sink, sort of like a mini shower head, only to get the correct direction of spray, you may want to have the nosel part already clogged with calcium deposits to get the direction of spray (out at your face) I think this gadget has. 

Linda

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
April 10, 2019 7:19 pm  

Ok... so I have to ask, what the heck is this thing and what is it supposed to do? From the little bit of explanation in the video, it sounded like you're supposed to attach your bag to it, but wouldn't that be a huge inconvenience if you have to take the whole wafer off? It sounds like from reading the discussion that people aren't sure what problem this thing is supposed to solve. Anyone wanna describe what they were showing in the video? I'm just really curious now. lol

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
April 10, 2019 9:35 pm  

zhtfreak...Hi there...it's Linda here.  I will give it a try for you okay.  The guy demonstrating is standing to the left of a bowl, much like a toilet bowl only smaller. The top of the bowl comes to about the height of the guys natural waste line, or his belly button level. Between the bowl and the man, there is a pipe  coming up to  past the top of the bowl by about 8 inches. The pipe has a tap attached to it.  There is a section of the pipe that points towards the bowl and hangs over it by about half the length.  On that pipe is a wider, for lack of a better word, lets call it a small plate. This plate has what looks like a wafer for a two piece pouch on it.  He takes the pouch only of a two piece pouch and places it on the plate, it looks like it sort of snaps together just like the two piece pouch does. From there he turns on the tap and water is forced into the top and around the inside of the pouch.  Water pours out the bottom of the pouch where we would normally  release the contents of a pouch from a roll up pouch.  From there, he shuts off the tap and demonstrates what would have been a clean pouch ready to replace onto the wafer already on an ostomate. 

To me, I wonder why the bowl is so high. I would be concerned about the pouch letting loose and increment flying all over the place from the pressure of the water. I hope this has been helpful for you. If you need more information, or have a question let us know. We are here. 

It is nice you are checking in here. I hope you are well. 

Linda

Linda

Dona, zhtfreak and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
April 11, 2019 11:23 am  

Hmmm...Looks overly complicated, and expensive.  Looks like I could make one of these out of scraps in my shop at work, but don't know why I would.  If you need a rinse, a water bottle has always worked fine for me.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

LK, Dona and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
April 11, 2019 3:12 pm  

Linda, thanks for that description. I'd have to agree with everyone and lean toward overly complicated.

Still curious though, I looked around on their website. They claim that this device is better for the environment and that it use less water and saves you money because you don't have to go through as many bags, among other things. They say it'll increase your confidence because you won't have to deal with embarrassing odors. I'm pretty cynical though, so I'm always wondering what they don't tell you. lol

I will say though, that in theory this could possibly extend your wafer wear time if you snap the bag onto this device to rinse it out . From what I've read on suppliers' websites, they don't recommend that you rinse your bag out because they say the bags are made to be odor proof and they say putting water in could reduce wear time. I never noticed that myself though, so maybe it depends on the person?

I couldn't tell if this thing is supposed to be an all-in-one thing or not, but it didn't seem to me like you'd be saving much time using it, even though they say you can clean your bag in under 30 seconds. I'm thinking you'd have to empty the contents of your bag into the toilet (possibly putting some water in and shaking it around to thin your output first like I did), and then you'd have to snap your bag off and put it on this device, turn it on and wait for it to clean, and then snap it back on your wafer. It doesn't sound any faster than just using a water bottle, except if you needed to rinse your bag out more than once, which was sometimes done for me. Also, this device isn't portable, so you can't use it when you're out.

LK and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 12, 2019 9:45 am  

Looks like the general consensus is that a water bottle will accomplish the same thing without the added expense or space needed to install this. 

Another thing to consider is that water bottles can be used in any bathroom, even when you travel. You also won't have to answer "why do you have a tall drinking fountain in your bathroom" whenever you have guests over ;) 

LK and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
April 12, 2019 2:21 pm  

I was thinking we might all start carrying high volume squirt guns around... could even get holdsters for them ...HA. Airport security might be tough.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
April 12, 2019 6:21 pm  

Funny Dona!  I know that my first thought was would I want something running water into my pouch so high and in my face. And what about high thick output? You would have to add water, shake it all about and then rinse with the Lazarus gadget. I honestly do not see where it would extend the wear time as you still have to snap off and snap on, maybe twice to do the job you would do once without Lazarus. Would this not cause wear and tear on the snap part?  About the odor, there is always M9. But, which is harsher, output or water, the only only time I had odor was when I first had the pouch and cleaned it the way I was taught in the hospital. They said to make a cork out of TP and run it and run it around  the inside of the mouth of the pouch. It always took several corks to do this and get it to mine and then my dogs standard of clean without residue in the bonded side edges. Once I began rinsing and then drying the mouth of the pouch with two squares of TP wrapped around my index finger, I never had it again.  Even then, odor was questionable to the human nose because one of my two dogs would sniff me out in the area the pouch hung in beneath my clothes. She picked up on the odor every time, so I began rinsing. A dog sniffing you out when stop to chat with another human walking their dog was embarrassing to say the least. Dogs do not have a lot of manners. I have to question too, about the amount of water Lazarus would use. Pancaking would be a whole other story. I keep two 6 ounce plastic glasses with water close to the area of the toilet for rinsing. If my stoma is busy and as happens, fills the pouch again before I am off the toilet, then I have a water bottle near  just for those times. This is a rich persons gadget I think, sort of like bidets, the average person would not have something like this in their home, or the room for it, and then have to explain it to anyone who questions it. Good discussion! Thanks Eric for bringing this forward. Where ever do you find these things? Great job.

zhtfreak...I am guessing the description was good enough to picture what we were saying? Being that the bowl looked like it was porcelain, we are left to imagine that output was flushed in the same bowl, not just running down a drain like in a sink. 

Sasquatch...I think this could be made by anyone who has some plumbing knowledge. The pipes could be second hand, same as a sink if you did not require flushing, then it could be made at a much more reasonable price. You could even add a domed lid to contain explosions! I would want the lid. Having dropped a full runny bag twice in ten years, I know well the cleanup required on the room and me. Naughty arthritic hands....!

Linda

ReplyQuote
medicjay
(@medicjay)
Registered
April 13, 2019 11:55 am  

My first thought was that is it overkill. 

My second thought was now I want a 3 foot high toilet!! LOL

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
April 13, 2019 4:21 pm  

Sounds like an outside jobber to me...…… Garden hose and bushes......….. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
April 13, 2019 4:41 pm  

I like Dona's-- flush it with a bottle of water when necessary..  easy- simple-no fuss !!!! And off u go to enjoy your day of well needed sleep...……...

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register