Cymed ostomy product changes  

Page 8 / 8
  RSS

Momof3boys
(@momof3boys)
Registered
August 22, 2019 9:55 pm  

@mermaidspla2

😡😡 I’m completely over this whole situation. I’m going to be calling Cymed again at the first of the week. 

ReplyQuote
Mincon
(@mincon)
Registered
December 2, 2019 12:03 pm  

@tammyb1022

Same here, its been an awful change and I hope enough people complain that they will switch back to a higher quality product. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDavid
(@dlmonroe)
Registered
December 7, 2019 2:14 pm  

I started the process of replacing my defective Cymed pouches a couple months ago.  They started by replacing two boxes so we could see if there was any improvement.

The replacement pouches were better than the defective ones, but not as good as the ones from before they made the change to the problem pouches.  The new pouches are slightly narrower and longer, which is actually better for me since I wear my pouches horizontally.  The plastic is definitely better than the problem ones, but probably not quite as good as they used to be.  The tail closure on the roll-up velcro-style closure is smaller, which makes it more difficult to empty, but I can live with that.  I haven't had any issues with the new pouches except for the attachment to the barrier.  I had 2 of 10 in the first replacement box detach from the barrier after less than two days, and 3 of 10 in the second box that detached after less than two days.  I then had Cymed replace the remaining 5 boxes of defective pouches. 

To deal with the separation problem, I cut a couple crescent-shaped pieces out of an old credit card and glued those pieces under the "flap" where the barrier connects to the pouch.  This reduces the "folding" effect of the barrier when I'm sitting or moving around, thus putting less pressure on the area where the pouch joins with the barrier.  This gets me 3 days of wear time with the pouch rarely ever separating from the barrier.  I actually have a set of Cymed one-piece pouches on order to see if I can get around this.  If the barrier and pouch are essentially the same as what I'm using for the two-piece system, then that might work for me.

I had tried every other brand I could find and could not find a barrier that would stay on for more than 24 hours without a problem.  I tried several samples from Coloplast, Hollister, and Convatec with no luck.  I got Salts to send me some samples, and nearly all the sample products they sent me worked fine.  However, they don't have any distributors in the U.S., so I'm out of luck there for now.

It's pretty crazy that Cymed seems to be light years ahead in barrier technology with MicroSkin, but decades behind on pouch technology.  I wish one of the bigger companies would just buy out Cymed and integrate the MicroSkin barriers into their product line.

ReplyQuote
Tom Duerr
(@tduerr7)
Registered
December 8, 2019 6:42 am  

@dlmonroe

You can order the Salts products thru Canada but insurance may not pick it up.

Argyle Medical Distributors Inc.
info@argylemedical.com
Tel: 1-877-927-4953
Fax: 1-888-792-5289

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8