Notifications

Cymed Changed MicroSkin Platinum Series Pouches Poorly  

RSS

Ken
 Ken
(@kengine)
Registered
February 26, 2018 9:53 am  

it seems Cymed has again made a surprise change to design and manufacturing of the MicroSkin one piece drainable Ileostomy pouches, ugh.
They’ve taken a very reliable, comfortable, and quiet pouch and made it “cheap.” That’s the best word I could use to define this. They’ve gone from the smooth, relatively quiet pouch plastic to what now sounds like used candy wrappers in your pocket. Very surprising.
To make things worse, the alleged 11″ pouches are now more like 9″ (same Mfg part number) and the end of the pouch that used to be easily inverted to drain then squeegee and roll up for the tie-wrap type of closure has been shortened by over an inch! Now its almost impossible to drain without a mess, and can only roll the closure twice else you’re already encroaching on the pouch. Truly bizarre what they did. They should have stuck with the original, and just created a new Mfg part number for this newer design.
Now when I sit in a movie, any movement and the person next to me keeps looking to see if I’m opening candy bars. Embarassing. Definitely no longer "rustle-free" materials in use! I noticed also that the word "Platinum" is no longer used with the MicroSkin appliances. Hmmm.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 26, 2018 11:04 am  

Hey Ken.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for posting about your experience. It's a real shame they made these changes and I've heard other people telling me that other brands have also made negative changes to their appliances recently. 

I've started a new thread specifically about the Cymed changes and hope to update it once I hear back from Cymed. 

You can check it out here to keep up-to-date: https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/ostomy-products/cymed-ostomy-product-changes/

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 26, 2018 11:25 am  

Hi And welcome to the recent new members, this is always a scenario I dread. even if a company give a prior notice. a few years back Convatec did a change and it was only to the boxes and they contained a note to say no change had been made to the product itself

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
February 26, 2018 11:40 am  

Hi Ken

Welcome to the group . If its any help to ya I use Hollister lock n roll pouches and haven't had a problem with noise at least not that anyone has mentioned . And they are actually 10" when folded 3 times but easy to empty .

ReplyQuote
Ken
 Ken
(@kengine)
Registered
February 26, 2018 12:29 pm  

Thanks Robert! Which type of Holllister?

I've ordered good ole Karaya seal hollisters in the past whenever I've had rawness around stoma... the karaya does the trick every time clearing up the skin.

I tried a coupld of other Hollisters a few years ago with not much luck so any advice on a particular model much appreciated.

Have had the ileostomy since 1988.

Ken

ReplyQuote
Ken
 Ken
(@kengine)
Registered
February 26, 2018 12:33 pm  

Thanks John.

Yes I started out with Convatec Active Life once I had moved from two piece to one piece. Was a great find! That was back in 1990. Used Convatec for 15 years. Then their quality started to fail... I'd receive a box of 10, and at least 5 would be missing adhesive coating on the disc. When I reached out to Convatec directly, as usual their folks said I was the first to complain. They sent me replacements and same thing. Called back, got an address and mailed the defectives (8 out of the 10) back to Convatec. Never heard from them again. That's when I switched to the far more expensive Cymed Microskins.

The Cymeds were a real breakthrough for me due to comfort, flexibility and ability to get wet (I like to sail in the great south bay).

Every now and then I try another box of Convatecs... and at least 2 of them are missing adhesive on the discs (or maybe the discs are being dried out in storage or shipping?).

I tried writing to Convatec and posting to their customer support online; they never respond. 

I just ordered another box (given the Cymed surprise I experienced this week). Lets see what turns up.

I know for pharmaceuticals and even tylenol, the FDA requires packaging and labeling changes every certain number of years so that might explain the Convatec packaging change.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 27, 2018 3:41 pm  

Ken, I googled Cymed..... and guess what?  I saw you pervious reply (on here) on there!!  You on Ken !! 

ReplyQuote
New Orleans Al
(@new-orleans-al)
Registered
March 5, 2018 4:41 pm  

I also use Cymed MicroSkin one piece drainable Ileostomy bags and hate the changes! I have a small stash of the old bags and hope they have enough complaints about the new bags and go back to the "old design" before I run out. What are the chances?? Its all about the $$....cheaper the bag means more profit, but may also lose customers. Cymed your "new" MicroSkin one piece drainable Ileostomy bags suck!!

ReplyQuote
osto dave
(@osto-dave)
Registered
March 10, 2018 9:46 pm  

I've used microskin pouches for 25 years, loved them, but in 2016 they have changed, the wax ring does not adhere to the pouch as well, causing it to fail before 24 hrs. making me change pouches at least daily, some times more often, I'm in the process of looking for a different pouch, insurance will only pay for 36 hrs, usage. besides the problems with a premature leaky pouch.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 10, 2018 10:39 pm  
Posted by: osto dave

I've used microskin pouches for 25 years, loved them, but in 2016 they have changed, 

Welcome to the forums, Dave. 

25 years for something to change for the worst is a terrible thought. 

If you do find something that works as well as the old Cymed did, please let us know because  I'm sure people who share your disappointment are also looking for alternatives. 

ReplyQuote
Share: