Notifications

Need Wafer Suggestions  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 22, 2018 5:23 pm  

I currently use Sensura Mio products but have recently run into a situation whereby I am only getting one day (sometimes only half a day) out of it before I start leaking.  I blame my stoma, not the products for my new issues and so am going to try to learn to live with it.  But I need something cheaper as this goes above and beyond my insurance.

I tried the assura type but it really cut into my skin bad and only lasted a few hours.  I'm looking for alternatives that are a little more flexible, like the sensura mio.  It obviously doesn't need to be coloplast.. I just want something that flexes.  I have tried nothing else.

Thanks

Chris

Zvitusk liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 22, 2018 5:40 pm  

A few suggestions for helping to reduce the cost:

• Get samples of everything you can. Honestly, don't pay for a thing until you know it's working for you. When you call up various suppliers, let them know that you want to sample for at least two weeks before deciding if their product is right for you.  Samples: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-suppliers-free-samples/
  • Go with 1pc appliances - way cheaper.
  • Flat wafers are cheaper than convex.
  • Use fewer supplies, if possible (do you REALLY need to use a barrier ring? Barrier wipes? etc.)
  • The one "budget" appliance I tried was not very successful and may end up costing you more if it shortens wear time or causes more problems for you... but they may be worth at least looking at: https://www.veganostomy.ca/securi-t-1pc-extended-wear-review/

As far as recommendations go, it's anyone's guess. I like Hollister products because they work well for me and are minimalist. They aren't the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. 

Best of luck, Chris! 

kenf11 and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 22, 2018 5:51 pm  

Hi Chris, you don,t have to live with this!!! As Eric says order samples to see what works. see your stoma nurse as well. when you get the leaks sorted less supplies will be needed and less cost. May be wearing some sort of support even by way of a band or wrap may keep the appliance close and secure.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 22, 2018 5:53 pm  

Thanks Eric!  Yeah, I saw your review on the cheap bags and was excited at first, but I suspect I would be dealing with the same issues.  Better to suffer financially than physically I guess.

Unfortunately I think I DO need a ring as it's only when I dont use one that I get about 12 hours.  I Also unfortunately need a freaking convex. My stoma sticks out 3/4 inch but its mouth is actually clost to my skin and it shoots out sideways, right under the wafer!  Im actually thinking of looking into having my stoma repositioned.  I havent investigated it yet.. but theres gotta be a doctor in Mexico or somewhere who'll do it privately. ;)  Failing that.. there's always Youtube.  you can learn anything on there!  How hard can it be?

Anyway, thanks again for the tips..  I will call these places and ask them for samples and suggestions.

Chris

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
February 22, 2018 6:12 pm  

Mexico ? Go to a teaching hospital before you do that . I have heard horror stories . But definitely get a revision no need to live like that . Where are you maybe someone can recommend a doc . 

Be well, Bubbles

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 22, 2018 6:38 pm  

Thanks bubbles. I'm in Toronto so I have pretty good doctors around me. I'll have to investigate how to go about getting it done right. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 22, 2018 9:37 pm  

A revision, if you feel it's necessary, may save you from having ongoing problems because of how your stoma is pointing (but there are no guarantees). 

You mentioned that you use both convexity and barrier rings - look into various types of convex wafers as you may be able to consolidate things and have a convex wafer that can do the job of the barrier ring. For example, some convex wafers are quite stiff while others are "mushy" and may work better for you. I'd be nice to be able to use fewer supplies as I'm sure the addition of the barrier rings pushes the expenses over the edge. 

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 23, 2018 2:31 pm  

Chris,

My heart goes out to you. 

What does your WOCN say? You need her advice really bad. You are floundering in deep sh*t.

Toronto has a great world class medical system.  Unfortunately,  you must ask for help to get it. Trying it on your own won't get you too far. Ask!.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 24, 2018 7:00 pm  

I'm going to try a more flexible wafer. I think Hollister has one. The coloplast ones that I use seem pretty rigid and maybe they are just popping off a bit as I move around.

I have a bad feeling about all my care team and don't fully trust them. In retrospect, my surgery  wasnt really planned well and I really have to stretch to get support, so I'm looking for people who actually want to help.

That being said, I'm going to try a whack of samples, as suggested on here, and see what happens.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 24, 2018 7:17 pm  

Chris, we are here for you buddy!! Have you tried the Mio from coloplast? They move with  me.  I use the soft convetx.  they also have a deeper convetx if your interested.  Maybe using a belt?  The mio has its own special belt so make sure you get that too.. 

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 24, 2018 10:04 pm  
Posted by: Chris

I'm going to try a more flexible wafer. I think Hollister has one. 

Their tape border wafers have worked well for me. If you're looking for something flexible like the Sensura Mio, B. Braun has one called Softima/Flexima. I reviewed their 1pc not too long ago. 

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 24, 2018 10:25 pm  

Chris ,

My hospital WOCN was also a disaster. I lost faith in her abilities after she gave me three points of wrong direction . While my surgeon's skills were great, he would triple book my aftercare. 

What I did was look for correct information that would work for me. 

I spoke to the factory WOCNs . They were very helpful BUT they were pushing their product line. 

I hooked up to  an Ostomy Group. It was very,  very good. Been there,  done that! 

Then I got lucky!!! Factory directed me to their distributor and they screwed me royally . So i looked for a local distributor. Their WOCN was the answer to my prayers . She listened to me. She let my angry pus drain. Afterwards,  she advised me to what i needed at that time. I got a handle on my new reality.

A year later , she saw that my fears were calmed down and she convinced me that I didn't need all the armor that I was using to prevent leaks. ( I was rediculous .)

Having calmed down,  I see a long relationship. 

Then I found Eric. Needless to say,  his sage , calm , accurate advice was, is and will be welcome.  More so,  I am able to talk , to share , to be human again. I don't feel like a stinkpot any more. 

To sum up, Chris, once you get comfortable with yourself,  you will be all right.  Till then, you will be off balance. 

We , here , have the experiences of being "not right " in our lives. That's why we need to communicate with each other. No one else can understand what we are living with. ( Not even our caretakers can fully understand the emotional embarrassment of a crappie blowout.) 

Eventually , you will be able to help a newbie get comfortable.  Then, you have arrived.

Z

kenf11 liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 25, 2018 9:08 am  

Thanks.  I do appreciate this site for all the suggestions!  I am currently actually using the sensura mio, and the boarder is flexible, but the ring that attaches the bag is rigid as all hell, and I'm thinking that when I bend over, since it doesnt bend with me, it might sorta press off my body a bit.  Its what im thinking anyway..  maybe the hollister ring bends a little more.  I know I've seen some ring somewhere bend and flex in a video.  

Ill have a look at that B braun now :)

Chris

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 25, 2018 11:41 pm  

Chris, I started to use the Mio deep concave wafer. Due to creases in my belly,  I  feel more secure if I tape  the edges with paper surgical tape. This is so that I don't have to be afraid that it might fall off. Extra security. 

Once it sticks , it stays. But until it sticks , I just want to be positively sure that I  won't have a problem with it. 

Hey, it's cheap piece of mind.

Wafer usually lasts 4 - 7 days depending on what kind of output i am excreting. 

Find your comfort zone and live within it. 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 26, 2018 11:49 am  

Hi Chris, if the 2 piece snap on is coming apart would one of the locking systems be a help. just seen Robert mention that type on another post and it reminded me. Plus some wafers have a smaller ring than others and this would cover less area and reduce the pressure when you bend

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 26, 2018 1:24 pm  

Well..my issue isn't the ring not snapping, or the wafer edges sticking..  (and I too have been using both the light convex and deep convex from sensura Mio), it's that after 12 hours or so.. the output starts touching my skin directly around my stoma. If I leave it more that 24 hours it's REALLY itchy and the skin becomes red and open. I've tried crusting, Eakin and Brava rings on the wafer, Eakin and brava rings directly on the skin, and I've mixed paste in there a few times just for good measure. I don't know why, but for some reason the output just eats right through everything surrounding my stoma. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 26, 2018 1:44 pm  

Chris, What I do first off is : (as I have about an 1 inch around stoma) I cut the seal ring in half.  Roll it   apply this diretly to your waffer already cut   press like a pie crust  you can shape the seal ting this way to your best of knowledge of your stoma..   

Now for the redness and sores... do as the above... Where You have the sores, take a little of antiobotic cream and dot it on the edge part of the seal ring. Place wafer and pouch on and press firmly-- WEAR THE BETL.. You r not to do this as they say, but my God, what a relief !!  You will find or may find less wear of the wafer, but the sores will go away. The crusting method seems to grind into my sores after the second try.. THE MAIN THING IS GETTING RID OF THE SORES..  Rmemeber, just a dot her and there where you will be putting the wafer on the stoms.  Good Luck,,, 

The anti-cream is to be just on the seal towards the stoma.. Works for me and grateful that I though of it.. These sores can get rather painful!! and Marcie is not a happy girl over here in Ct. :-(

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 26, 2018 1:46 pm  

Chris, p.s. forget the paste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 26, 2018 6:03 pm  

Chris... if you can stand another 2 cent?

It seems like the problem with leaking begins with the fit. Are you sure you have a nice tight fit around your stoma. That itch you feel ( and that 'crawly' sensation is, for me, the first sign that I need to change my stuff) is the feel that I get just when any output begins to get under  my seal.

If you don't have a good fit the output will get on the peristomal skin and make it feel like that.

I use a precut Hollister ( Holister New Image..cera plus convex wafer)  and then layer on an Eakins ring ( I know different brands work differently on various skins). But the eakins are the only ones I can get to work.

I allow the edge of the ring to stick out just the barest amount from the hole in the wafer... that way, when I apply it it kind of fills that space with a soft water tight material.

I also use Stoma powder I adapt/hollister) JUST around the base of my stoma. allow it to sit and them blow off any excess. I think this helps dry and seal that area.

Also HEAT! I always use a hair dryer. Drys my skin and heats the wafer/barrier ring. Heat and pressure seem to be the answer to a good seal.  I just use an inexpensive travel one. 

ALSO DRYNESS.. after you shower get it all DRY. Then I have a microfibre wash cloth that I use to dry the area before I use the hair dryer.

Start writing down exactly what you do on each and every change...keep a log. Note anything different. Your skin, what you are using, did you shower, are you feeling O.K. etc.. it all seems to make a difference.

Good luck...any questions?? HA

kenf11, VeganOstomy, Zvitusk and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 26, 2018 6:18 pm  

Chris, Dona has given you some very sound advice!!!!!!! Creating an effective seal with a ring will stop the break down of the wafer. Take time when changing and at a time when yer stoma is settled.

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: