Better Days Are Com...

Notifications

Better Days Are Coming Right ?  

RSS

Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
October 27, 2019 8:50 pm  

It has been very challenging for the last few days. Have developed a rash around the stoma skin, it is itchy, red flat bumps ,not wet. You can see the outline of where the sits on the skin, that's how irritated it is. Have been trying the crusting technique to no avail. I am a Hollister girl and have not had any issues b4(colostomy done this past March)  I don't like the Coloplast appliances.  I do have a small parastomal hernia as well, which is not a problem at this time. The ostomy  is starting to protrude up to 2 inches across. Have been using  the larger skin barriers samples to accommodate for the protrusion, have to order some more. To top that off , I had an allergic reaction (hives)to some food on Thursday  which required urgent care and some prednisone since Friday, so I have rashes over over my body and the ostomy problem to boot.  The prednisone will help all of this in a few more days  along with Benadryl. I want to pull my hair out !!  Put in a request to see the ostomy nurse this week. It looks absolutely awful, but there are better days coming I know, right ? BTW today was a beautiful day here on the Treasure Coast of Florida, 87 degrees-that's a plus LOL !

LK, VeganOstomy and Tony liked
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
October 27, 2019 8:59 pm  

Hi Cyrisse,

Yes, this too shall pass. It doesn't always feel that way. In times when I feel like that, I look ahead, and that eases some of the burden. Keep fighting.

Cyrisse and LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 28, 2019 4:44 am  

Hi Cyrisse, Sorry to hear that you have had this trouble. If you think it’s a reaction to the wafer maybe try a test by putting a wafer on another part of yourself to see what happens. Heading for the stoma nurse is a good idea 

Cyrisse and LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 29, 2019 12:05 pm  

Things will get better you've identified and addressed what's causing that.

Please have a stoma nurse look at the skin. From what you describe, it's possible that you have a fungal infection, which would need to be treated with more than just stoma powder. I've gone through it just this tail end of summer - takes a while to clear up, but it can and my skin looks great now. 

Good luck and I'm glad that Florida is being nice to you! :) 

LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
October 29, 2019 5:12 pm  

I had a fungal infection too a few years ago. The doctor could tell that it wasn't an allergy to the wafer as the skin underneath was not uniformly  inflamed, just in patches. And the inflammation was also active  near edge of the wafer  where the wafer had no contact. He figured it wan't contact dermatitis.

A doctor or stoma nurse needs to see it. The sooner the better.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
November 1, 2019 9:51 pm  

@veganostomy

Thanks ! Went to the ostomy nurse visit. No fungal infection, thank goodness.  The Predinisone for the allergy reaction I had last week has really helped that skin around the stoma. The hernia is pushing the stoma out. Wafer size  changed suggested, so as not to strangle the stoma, and she wants me to try a hernia belt She gave me samples of the Hollister drainable pouch with the clamp while she ordered the right appliances from Hollister to mail to me. She also said to use stoma paste as opposed to  Bravo barrier strips. The area feels so much better since the size change. But I do not like the clip thingy.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 2, 2019 3:07 am  

@cyrisse...I have had a burning rash the size of the wafer bumpy like that also.  I just about went nuts! I had to lay still as often as I could and changed my pouch three times a day to start for three days then 2 & lessening as it healed.  Leaving it in the air as was possible also helped too.  I ate softer meals during that time as I was afraid to leak again and cause more damage. I slept on a slant to make sure everything went to the bottom of the pouch and I still do. I just found it a lot more comfortable all around for me. When it felt so hot & angry, I would place a cool hot water bottle on top with a cloth first on the bag, I cold feel the relief almost immediately but try not to make it too cold and limit time to prevent moisture.  When I read this it brought back that week immediately.   I'm so glad you saw the nurse and it is not a fungal infection. I hope this ends quickly for you and that you feel well again soon. Yes, better days are coming and you will feel like a pro.  Help out here anytime you can.

Linda  

ReplyQuote
Share: