For those having issues with Hollister's new bags, please let them know

8 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hollister "improved" their bags in the last year or so, and I'm seeing several people mention various issues with them including the noise and poor odor management. 

If you are having issues, please contact your local Hollister office and let them know. 

I'm still working off boxes of ostomy bags that I purchased last year, so I don't know if they've gotten worse since then, but I do prefer the older bags (more specifically, the plastic). 

I list of Hollister offices can be found here: https://www.hollister.com/en/wheretobuy

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
(@dutchozzie)

I was only a novice ostomate last year when Hollister changed the material. Now almost a year later I must admit the change has its pros and cons. Without a doubt the new chlorine-free plastic is a lot noisier which can quite a nuisance. On the other hand, it does seem to reduce some of the pancaking. I don't have issues with odour management. Although it's not all bad news I'd still prefer the older bags. I did call them about 6 months ago and explained my concern about the noise.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

Is there an easy way to determine if I have the old bags or the new?  My bags have been the same since I became an ostomate last January.  I read that the color of the plastic changed from white to beige?  The plastic liner in mine is beige and always has been.  It is quite thin and crinkly, but odor control has been great.  I guess I'd just like to know if I'm already with the bags that seem to be getting the complaints, or if things will get worse.  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@glenn-giroir I believe the plastic liners in mine have been beige since I started, in spring of 2018 - I have a couple of the older bags and I can see they are a little deeper beige (the fabric cover) than the new ones. This is probably not much help to you. I would think that if you are hearing noises you probably have the newer bags. I rarely heard anything at all with the older ones. LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I ordered new supplies yesterday and should have them maybe tomorrow. I'll check to see if they are different from the ones I got early last year (which would have already been using the chlorine-free plastic). 

Nobody likes changes to their appliance, and there are very few instances where changes to an existing product have worked out better than the original.

I hope that if Hollister has only made a temporary change that it's very temporary

LK and GoatHerder reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Quick update, the two different bags I ordered seem to have the same plastic like the ones I purchased earlier last year. I didn't get any note mentioning changes to the plastic. 

Strangely, both the "transparent" bag and "ultra-clear" bags appear to be the exact same film and the same clarity. 

I've attached a photo of the boxes for reference.

1612377765-20210202_141020.jpg

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@veganostomy...hi Eric! It could be your supplier has not had to reorder supplies from his supplier just yet. I also never rec'd a note with mine warning of new plastic or extra noisey "crisp" pouches either.  However I figured it out pretty darn quickly that something had changed. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck The original change to these Hollister bags seemed to have come in 2019, when I first found out about the "chlorine-free" plastic they were using, so it's possible that it's the only plastic they use now so there's no need to keep informing customers. 

Also keep in mind that in Canada we may get products at different times, but they are all still made in the USA, so I think the products are the same. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote