Clear all

Hollister 8331...Leaky Troubles....

11 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

After applying 20 new Osto EZ Vents again, I noticed that I had a leak, on day 2. The M9 was staining my clothes. Later, there was output. After going thru several pouches way too soon ( 2-3 days) before, during and after Christmas, I realized I was almost thru my supply of vented bags. I informed the company. My bags are covered, so they replaced the cost of the vents with M9.  They told me they were bringing it to manufacturers attention. I have not  heard anything more. However, I had put more vents on 20 pouches again and as soon as a leak started this time I had a good look. I have noticed two things, that little bit of plastic at the very bottom of the mouth, seems to be just a wee bit shorter, causing M9 to make it way thru the first day. Second, the plastic flap that we use to snug up the velcro onto the velcro, is now "half the size" that it used to be. The gal on the phone and the ones she checked with, deny this is true. I have a couple of both sizes and will be sending them one set to prove my point. Now, how many of you out there have Arthritis or may get it? My fingers started pointing east and west when I was in my 20's. They have changed considerably more in the past 2 years and continue to do so. They get sore stiff and puffy and some are numb. In order for me to get the flap down without laying crooked on the other velcro, I have to take a snug hold and squeeze on that little flap. Now that it is "half" the size, I have to hang on tighter or it slips and I get a crooked fit on the velcro, scratching my legs and catching and pulling the material on my clothes, causing a risk of a leak, and not holding when I move. The area of the leak is, looking down on it towards the floor flap secured, at the top right corner if the flap once it is on the other velcro. Because of having to hang on tighter it pulls the plastic and makes a leak. I also noticed that the plastic to the left and right of the velcro on the pouch (not the flap) stretches just before the leak happens. I have tried holding less tight but it slips. The leak always starts on the 1st. or 2nd. day. I tolerate it till the 3 day when output comes thru. I have called the company and told them, they tell me they have not shortened that little flap. Interestingly, I have several left with the flap plastic bigger then the "half the size" we are sent now.  The thing is, we all get older and eventually may very well have difficulty with that little flap. I would love it if there was something we could do or say to make the company think about our future, not just theirs. I was told o check with my Stoma Nurse ( I do not have one) and see if there was anything they recommend for attaching to the bag when one has arthritis. Anyone interested enough to call their stoma nurse and see what they say about this for me?  Any ideas will be considered helpful. Thank you  eh!

Linda

(@john68)

Hi Linda, if the Velcro strip is getting smaller would it be a solution to add another strip above or below to give you more room to play with. It’s easy enough to purchase online or in hardware stores. I know to well how arthritis can twist joints and fingers as my Mum suffered with it.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  
  • John68...Thank you so much for the idea John. Have or do you use a velcro closure at all?  I ask because I am not sure where I would add the extra velcro to the pouch opening area. What I have here, is a more durable velcro and likely too durable for pouch. I can not picture what you are talking about. Have you seen it on a site and is it the same as the velcro on the pouch? (eye issues again...temporary) Is this something that you have/or heard done? The velcro I have does not have enough sticky on it to make a difference, so extra glue & type would be an issue and I do not think there is enough spare plastic to attach it too, also, it would experience a lot of traffic. Feel free to help my imagination out here...anyone? I have always considered the velcro closure perfect the way it was. I never had leaks at the mouth of it before, in the ten years I have been using their pouches. This is kind of frustrating. Hollister suggested I go to the plastic clip clasp, but I have tried that and found the clasp itself to be cumbersome and pokey, noticeable under clothing. It did come apart for me once, on an empty bag thank goodness. That little experiment ended then and there.

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Linda, I had pictured you where having trouble folding the end of the bag and having a smaller area to secure to. I wear a Convatec bag and clip. Have always found it easy to use and secure. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I would most certainly want photos to be taken so that Hollister can see that you aren't making this problem up. Sometimes, they do have bad batches, and if you are describing a closure that's not the same as what you've had in the past, it may very well be a manufacturing issue. 

I'm hoping this is a very isolated or temporary problem. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

Thank you John and Eric very much. I had a fair bit of time to sit and twiddle my thumbs today so I played around with the Hollister 8331 pouch. After doing and undoing the velcro up about thirty times, on the pouches I am sending Hollister, I realized that it is actually the velcro on the flap that has caused these issues of leaks by day two. Tho the plastic on the flap is shorter, it is because the velcro has been moved ahead on the flap, thus causing the issues of leaks by day two. It is simply not snug enough to keep the output intact because the two velcro pieces do not line up face to face. The flap velcro over hangs it by half. and if you do it up face to face you get leakage. I will notify them tomorrow about this..again, and see what they say. I just rec'd two boxes of pouches from them today (a surprise) and they have the same velcro issues. I will let you know what they say. Check out your bags and figure out f you want to be using them...especially if you are putting the Osto EZ Vents on them, you may want to think twice about it.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I love the mio-- I just tuck the bottom under and panties and go-- I have neve r had a leaking with the Velcro with this Mio-- the ci=lip is to hard on my stomach- and I always lost them ii the toilet.. they also seemed to punch a so called hole or break in the pouch.  that was in the early stages-- after 4 weeks- GONE- !! Love the Velcro-- fits nicely and I feel secure.  I don't like Hollister.. to bulky-- ---here we go again to be waiting for moderation.

. right 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

I am sending Hollister unused pouches with these differences in them that are causing the leaks. They sent me a postage paid envelope to do so. I am squeezing the pouch opening almost at the top of where the bag starts to widen to prevent  leaks as long as possible. So far on day three without a leak. We have no choice but to squeeze the bag before it goes into the toilet to empty or it goes all over the place and this causes an area for leaks as well, between the harder pieces of plastic of all places. I was just sent one box of pouches with velcro in all the right places.  The gal on the phone went to the warehouse to find them for me, but they sure do need to have these Osto EZ Vents on them. Kind of annoying they don't.  I sure appreciate her help and honesty...and of course her taking a bag, looking at what I was telling her and also seeing the same issues has helped tremendously.  This is what sent her to the warehouse to seek out the product with the velcro in the right places. Day two leaks mean that after emptying the pouch 16 times, leaks began. No solution yet.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Have u tried the Mio one piece ? Light weight, and hold's well--I never cared for the Hollister products.  As your above issues.  And found them to be heavy-

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Linda,

Will your insurance cover a different brand? I have recently started using the Coloplast SenSura Mio Click barrier #10502 with the #18620 pouch and am on day eight of wear time (probably won't be pushing the envelope on that). I don't know if your venting tool would be compatible with that appliance. Just thought I would put this out there in case it would be a possibility for you.

Leaks are the most psychologically trying aspect of living with an ostomy, at least in my experience, and this seems to have provided a solution for me.

If you decide to try it, one caveat is that I find it works better if I wear the barrier at a 90-degree angle from how the manufacturer apparently intends, with the pull tab facing to the right instead of up. Otherwise it ends up with some of the material too far medialy, over my incision and belly button, putting the barrier at risk of leaking. The other thing is that it might be a bit bigger pouch than you might be used to wearing.

Just my two cents.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

Thank you Tony. I really like the pouch I use and have never had trouble with the materials used in it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing. Lol. The issue is with where they are putting the harder plastic pieces on the spout of the pouch. They are not in the right place and this is causing areas to weaken and develop holes causing the leaks near the very bottom of the pouch when you open and close it so often.  It is not with the areas on the tummy at all. It is entirely manufacturer issues. My pouches are covered one hundred percent, as is anything I need for the attaching it and to keep the skin safe from issues. They are the  necessities really. One or two cents are always welcome! Except, we don't have pennies in Canada anymore. 

Linda

ReplyQuote