Community Forums

Going in to have my...

Notifications
Clear all

Going in to have my ileostomy reversed soon!  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
October 1, 2020 6:24 am  

@janezeee

I like many others here gave it a name based on its character!

Hence Bagpus was born named after a children tv program.

When it makes funny noises then its not me but Bagpus speaking, Bagpus decides sometime when I try to do to much and tells me what to doat other times etc.

Bagpus character according to the story is a cloth cat baggy or in the girls mind a magical cat.

Hopefully soon you might name yours!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagpuss

I might be to some as mad as a fruit cake but thanks to Bagpus I'm alive.

Chris and Bagpus

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
October 1, 2020 6:58 am  

Lil stomie & Liza... all the best to both of you  with  your surgery dates. You have already proven  you are much stronger then you may have thought you are. Keep up your fluids & tho it may seem a bit cruel to get up & walk what  seems quickly after surgery,  it does get things moving better this way.  I wish you both a speedy safe recovery & will keep you in my prayers next week. 

Janezeee...Welcome to VO!  I am so sorry for what brought you here tho,  you have been thru so much!!   Know you are stronger then you may think or credit yourself for.  Here at VO, Eric has done an amazing job & provides so much information!  TQ again ERIC!!

No question is ever a stupid question. we have all been there one way or another right down to a "red popsicle!!"  lol!  Tho my ileostomy  was expected & papers signed  for each & about 6 surgeries in 1 year before my ostomy, I really did go thru a few bad weeks of realizing the affect this would have on my life. I was tough as nails in the hospital but my 1st shower at home was where the truth flowed heavily from my heart. In the middle of my shower I started sobbing &  not really quietly either! lol!  My sweet hubby climbed in the shower with me, clothes & all & just held me while I cried it all out & the water got cold!  He was my strongest support system. Yes, it is perfectly normal to mourn the loss of your previous figure & even abilities & to cry, become a bit depressed & fearful even. I hope you have a good support system at home & do not be afraid to let your family into these feelings you may have. It will help them grow in many areas of life, but especially compassion. There is such an onslaught of emotions that we go thru as women & as you found trying to reward yourself for all the accomplishments you endured with having a family then dealing with the such a new  situation in your  life can sure make things more difficult.   

Visit whatever grief, fear , loss,  you need to visit, but don't say there. Baby steps, walking a bit every day & going a bit further is growth. Ask for help if you need it, accept help if offered. Pamper yourself, take naps when you need to, drink lots of fluids,  contact friends &  go out when your well enough. You've got this & we are here for you! 

Oh...about the lettuce..I found a eating Iceburg Lettuce was easy enough for me to chew down & never caused issues with digestion. I think its all the water in it. Plus its really crispy!  I thought I would never eat raw vegies or salads again, but cut smaller, grated & chewed well is a good rule of thumb. As Eric suggests, don't rush & put your fork down between bites! If you can identify it in the output chew more!  I peel such things as Tomatoes & peppers.  Grapes are harder to peel... I'm ...kidding! lol!  Enjoy  & let us know how it goes!! All the best!! 

Linda 

Linda

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
October 1, 2020 8:41 pm  

@janezeee

Hi Janezeee.  I think that many of us here have lived with a digestive disease for years, and were well aware of the possibility that we may some day end up where we are.  For myself, it was a 25+ year journey, and I had almost lost my colon during my first year.  From that point on it was a real struggle living with my colon, so all of this was in my mind for a long time before I lost my colon.  I can't imagine how hard it must be to just wake up one day with an ostomy without the time to mentally prepare for it.  I think you are strong, and are facing this with a lot of bravery.  I like Eric's advice.  Feel what you feel.  It's your journey.  I truly hope that your recovery goes well, and you get back to all of the things you love.  You deserve it.  This forum is wonderful, and there are many other videos on youtube that have really helped me.  It's nice to "meet" you, and I truly wish you the very best on your journey.   

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
October 2, 2020 9:11 am  

@janezeee

Hi. I've been away this week so I am trying to catch up. I had a planned permanent colostomy, which also saved my life as I had colorectal cancer. I grieved before and about 3 months later when I was hit full force. You are not being shallow about your loss, because it is a loss. However, things will get better, and you'll hardly think twice about it. It does become second nature. Does it mean that you won't have pity parties from time to time? Every now and then I do, but then I remember the blessing of having mine and am grateful for the second chance at life I have!

God bless,

Stella

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2