Community Forums

Going in to have my...

Notifications
Clear all

Going in to have my ileostomy reversed soon!

24 Posts
12 Users
47 Likes
Lil Stomie
(@lil-stomie)
Topic starter  

Hello all,

I haven't posted here in a while! My doctor had told me before my surgery (in early August) to remove my tumor that she was pretty sure she would be able to reverse my colostomy, and I that wouldn't need a temporary ileostomy...well, it didn't happen that way.

But now I am looking forward to having the ileostomy reversed on October 6th! I have forgotten what it feels like to not be wearing a plastic pouch 24/7 lol. I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this site, especially Eric of course, for all the advice and encouragement. Veganostomy is a wonderful resource :-) 

And just because this is something I know only fellow ostomates can relate to, this afternoon I noticed my output was slightly thick, and also a rather bright red. I immediately wondered if I had internal bleeding. Then I thought, I know the skin around my stoma is a little irritated, but would it put out that much blood?! I also racked my brain for what I had eaten today...toast, egg and coffee for breakfast, noodles, carrots and a veggie burger for lunch. Nothing red!

I was wondering if I'd have to call my WOC nurse or doctor when I suddenly remembered the snack I had a couple hours ago: a red popsicle! :roll: :lol: 

Best,

'Lil Stomie

Shel Que

glenn.giroir, LK, Janezeee and 2 people reacted
(@john68)

That’s great news, always a pleasure to hear of recovery from an illness ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

That is great news Lil Stomie!!  I am having surgery the same day, but unfortunately not a reversal. 

Did you get a chance to have your girls weekend?  If so, how did it go?

Funny about your popsicle. I had a similar experience about a month ago after eating some red licorice. ?

Stay in touch and let us know how your reversal is working out. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

That's wonderful news @lil-stomie !! I wish you all the best! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Janezeee
(@janezeee)

Was searching for the best lettuce with an ileostomy and ended up here,,also just realized I’m not alone,,got mine a month ago and I’m still in denial ,, I know it saved my life and I’m supposed to embrace it but I’m still struggling with that,,any thoughts or words of wisdom as to how best deal? 

Dtheblack, glenn.giroir, LK and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Janezeee, Welcome to the forum. It’s perfectly normal to feel that way!! It’s a big life changing experience. But and yes you will probably have been told this! But it’s gonna seem pretty normal after a while. Don’t let the negativity about an ostomy get to you, don’t think you need to use every product. Take one day at a time ask questions no matter what. And read the info here back to front ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Lil Stomie
(@lil-stomie)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Thanks so much! I truly am grateful for your website and videos. They really have helped me and made me feel less alone on this unexpected journey.

My brother is a caretaker for our uncle who has MS and a colostomy. I was talking him about mine one day and mentioned veganostomy and he said, "Oh, I have watched those videos!" He has found them useful too.

All the best to you!

Sincerely,

'Lil Stomie

Shel Que

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Lil Stomie
(@lil-stomie)
Topic starter  

@john68

Thank you very much. I feel very lucky and grateful!

Shel Que

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Lil Stomie
(@lil-stomie)
Topic starter  

@squeakyandliza

Hi!

I hope your surgery goes well! I will be thinking of you on the dayn

Unfortunately we were not able to do the girls weekend as the event we had tickets for was cancelled due to covid. So we are planning on 2021 now!

And yeah, I'm glad I remembered that I'd had that popsicle and didn't go to the hospital like I was imagining I would have too lol!

I will post here and let you all know how the surgery went. Fingers crossed! They say it's a quick recovery...

Best,

'Lil Stomie

Shel Que

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Janezeee
(@janezeee)

@john68 thank you John,,taking it day by day from here on

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Janezeee
(@janezeee)

@squeakyandliza best of luck with the operation 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cyrisse)

Go for it . It can b worrisome I know. Read

all u can about this procedure and I can’t believe everything u read on line but keep the faith.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@janezeee

I know exactly how you feel. The denial goes away with time. You said it saved your life. Me too. Was your ostomy planned?  Mine was not. I had never even heard of an ostomy before getting mine. I think that made me more emotional and in denial about everything. I have had a lot of ups and downs over the last couple years, but I have definitely landed in a good spot of acceptance about it now. I attribute that to time and this website. 

Hang in there Janezee.  Things will get easier and better all the time. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

sjlovestosing and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @janezeee

got mine a month ago and I’m still in denial ,, I know it saved my life and I’m supposed to embrace it but I’m still struggling with that,,any thoughts or words of wisdom as to how best deal? 

Welcome. Let yourself grieve, be upset, or whatever else you need to do, and then move forward from there. Nobody asked to be in this position, and it can be difficult sometimes, but your experience will be determined by how you think. It's a process, so don't put too much pressure on how you feel today - things will get better. :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Janezeee
(@janezeee)

@squeakyandliza wasn’t planned at all and actually ironic as my journey began with an abdominoplasty as now that the kids are older I thought it was time to beautify my stomach but my procedure wend very bad and I ended up with a hole in my intestine and 3 days post my 2nd surgery the stitches opened internally and apparently they had to do a 3rd emergency surgery and this is when I almost lost my life ,,I was in ccu for 3 weeks and woke up 4 days later to find this bag ,, it felt alive and alien like ,,it was breathing and making all sorts of sounds,,and the first time they changed the bag and I got to see what’s under I was so sad I cried ,,I know I probably sound shallow,,I’m 45 and this is by far the most bizarre experience I’ve ever had,,reading many of the stories here gave me some confidence and today for the first time in 6 weeks I ventured outside my house and went for a walk so thank you all ?? xx

ReplyQuote
Janezeee
(@janezeee)

@veganostomy thank you for the wise advice,,just knowing that I’m not alone on my journey since few days back made a world of difference in my confidence and in my attitude towards my bag,,hopefully I’ll dwell less and deal better as the days go by thx x

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@janezeee

I think it is very hard when you weren’t planning on the surgery. Many people who get an ostomy see it as a relief to their suffering, and plan on it in advance. Waking up with an unplanned ostomy is a very emotional experience. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t cried about it several times early on. But it has been quite a while now. So, I agree with Eric, let yourself grieve. It is a huge change. But it does get easier. Hang in there. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Janezee,

It is a big change physically and mentally. And you had to also recover from the surgery , the surprise and just being in the hospital.

It does get better, but you will get there in your own time.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
 gord
(@gord)

@janezeee

ReplyQuote
 gord
(@gord)

I am coming up soon to 50 years with an ileostomy, which was done to save my life. My story will be published in the winter edition of the Ostomy Canada magazine but if anyone would like to read it beforehand, please email me at ghambly91@gmail.com. 

sjlovestosing, john68, LK and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2