Community Forums

Pancaking: A Headac...

Notifications
Clear all

Pancaking: A Headache for Ostomates since the 1800's (w/ video)  

Page 5 / 5
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 8, 2019 10:40 am  

That's fantastic, Stephanie! I'm glad that worked for you!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Hassen
 Hassen
(@Hassen)
June 3, 2019 11:52 am  

Hi

Putting water while emptying pouch can help to make stick stool becomes more fluid. From where is it safer to put the water, from the bottom or the top?

Awaiting for your advice.

Thank you

HM

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 3, 2019 12:08 pm  

Hi Hassen, when I empty my pouch and use water, I always put it in from the bottom while holding the open outlet upwards (so no water spills out). What I do is once I put some water in the bag, I close the outlet and swish it around a little to loosen the stools.

ReplyQuote
Lucy
 Lucy
(@Lucy)
March 12, 2020 5:10 pm  

Hi there. Have been trying light convex Hollister bags, which really help ease the pancaking - at least it's easy to swish out the stuff from around the stoma.
The problem I have with this mfgr's bags is the smell! Even a small amount of stool in the bag is obvious. Their supplied deodorant doesn't do a thing to help.
Has anyone else experienced this odor situation? THNX!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 13, 2020 12:34 pm  

@Lucy

Hi Lucy, do you notice odors when the bag is closed or only when you open it? There should be no odor from the outside of the bag. I use Hollister M9 deodorant drops and it's very effective at removing odors, even when the bag is open. 

ReplyQuote
Gurwinder Singh
(@singh-gurwinder2)
Registered
March 13, 2020 9:31 pm  

I feel like the coloplast sensura mio bags especially have the problem with pancaking. The "check valve" system they have in the pouch caused stool to build up when my stoma was very active. I tried the lubricating deodorants and even baby oil. The baby oil would work for bit, but then it would start to leak out from the filter. the hollister bag which I now use do have pancaking, but not as bad as the coloplast pouches.

ReplyQuote
Lucy
 Lucy
(@Lucy)
March 14, 2020 8:46 am  

The odor is there whenever there is any amount of stool in the Hollister bag. Yes, even when closed. This particular model has no filter so it does require "burping" but of course one would expect a smell then, but just "hanging there", with even a small amount of stool, it smells. Their deodorant did nothing.

I had been using Coloplast SensuraMio #10481 but had problems with pancaking and leaking. (But had no issues with odor.)

So decided to try the Hollister #89811 with which I am pleased because pancaking/leaking seems to no longer be an issue. The adhesive seems to better agree with my skin as well. It's just the odor...

Am less than 6 months with my colostomy, and I'm getting the impression that I'll just have to keep experimenting to find the "right" product for me.

I've been reading the discussion on odor and may try some of the suggestions.

Thank you for your reply, as well as for providing this valuable forum!

ReplyQuote
Lucy
 Lucy
(@Lucy)
March 14, 2020 8:56 am  

Yes, I agree with you about pancaking/leaking with the SensuraMio bags, which is why I decided to try the Hollister with the convex faceplate. I have since discovered that Coloplast also makes bags with convex faceplates. Am considering trying one of those. Will post findings if/when I do.

ReplyQuote
Lucy
 Lucy
(@Lucy)
March 15, 2020 12:08 pm  

Update: am trying a different Hollister bag (#8578) and so far, no odor! Perhaps the batch of #89811's was defective? Live n' learn, eh?

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5