Don't use barrier wipes with extended wear wafers

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I recently had an email where someone was having trouble getting consistent results with their Hollister Flextend wafers. They did note that they had been using skin prep wipes (barrier wipes). 

My response was this: 

Thank you for your email.

Flextend wafers are "extended wear", so it's actually advised that you do NOT use a skin prep or barrier wipe with those wafers as it will create issues with the adhesives and inconsistent wear time.

What happens when you stop using those wipes? Have you tried the Hollister wafers with CeraPlus? I've been using them for several years now and they are incredibly consistent through all seasons and my skin is always healthy now. If you get a chance to try these, you may have great results too - I would say that you have to give them at least two weeks so that your skin can acclimate to the formulation and the ceramide in the wafers has been given time to benefit your skin.

Best of luck!

I do make note of this incompatibility between barrier wipes and wafers in this article: https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-barrier-wipes/

If you've been having issues and you use an extended wear product with barrier wipes, try not using the wipes for a while and see how things go.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~