Community Forums

Want to join the forums? Register HERE for instant access.

Already have an account? Login below:

Clothing  

Page 2 / 3 Prev Next
  RSS

Tony H
(@tony-h)
Estimable Member
10/11/2017 3:47 pm  

Dont mention the P word Barbara , it took me 6 months to get off that hellish drug (great drug when you need it but it can cause a lot of side effects including insomnia )

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Reputable Member
10/11/2017 4:02 pm  

Been there, done that, burned the tee shirt.

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, poly myalgia, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. Enough already!!

ReplyQuote
DeeDee
(@deedee)
11/11/2017 8:21 pm  

Hello my name is Deedee and it has been 7 weeks since my surgery and I'm still having problems with my little new addition to my body. I have been wearing the same2 pair of sweat pants for my body and I'm still having problems with installation of my new part of my body cause of where and how my stoma is located. I wear a diaper when I attach my own bag cause of the location of my stoma and getting my new buddy to go on right,the only time I am confident that my buddy is good is when my woc nurse does it for me. If anyone on here could help this newbie out with suggestions I would appreciate it very much. I'm glad I found this site. Thanks for sharing.Peace

Dona and Barbara liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Reputable Member
16/11/2017 9:51 pm  

Hello DeeDee and Welcome,

I think you need to post this on a different thread, under a different heading. Maybe tricks and tips or General Ostomy products. This is under Clothing, and it looks like no one has seen it here.

I can see you have serious concerns and need to learn more. Hopefully someone in the groupd can help you, but it seems like we would need more information about your particular concerns.

Everyone is a bit different, but I think everyone can learn and make it work.

Also, be sure to look at all Eric's great videos and helpful information on the Vegan ostomy site, not just this forum. You may have done this. I hope so, and hope we can help.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Reputable Member
17/11/2017 9:51 am  

DeeDee... there is a new thread..."new member having trouble' to address your issues. ( John68 started it for you).

Can you find that O.K.?

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
17/11/2017 5:51 pm  

Hi Dee-Dee, The sweat pants and sweat shirts are a go in these winter months.. Don't know where u live-or age, (I am in usa. Ae 68.) I will be getting some more at walmarts..  Dress as comfortable as u can during your healing.. I also, bought an extra size larger undies.. Cotton is best.. No more pretties.. Get some kind of design in them as there may be leak spots... 

Yes, no more skinny jeans my friend, and I do miss them-- but I have been wearing maternity jeans for the past 3 years.. Need the room for the pouch--  (most woman that are not like us or not preg. wear them-so it can be a lucky find at times.

Anything that has an elastic waist-jean skirts, fancy skirts, pants etc.. will provide you will with a new nice closet.. These are keepers.  IF u sew? Your ahead of the game.. Top?  They don't have to be long and big NO NO NO !!-- something a little airy with a slight coloum-sp- of nice folds about 3-4 inches from the waist. The styles I find are tight and high up--(I was never the in style person-I ware what I think looks best on me) when u find something that is body attractive? get more..  If your really into trying to hide the pouch? I have a ho-bo type of purse that I can keep to my side of the stoma area, for walking or heading to the bath room, also that type of bag has your pouching necessarys in there.  ( I carry 2 wash cloths with me also with  that-but never had to sue them yet) Kick it up a bit, and do a nice hair do-- ear rings, neck piece, scarf- to take away from your pouch if you TRYING to ease stares which will be none!! No one will notice this trust me--but I went through that stage for a few years. 

At first, I thought that I would have to wear  huge house coasts. Which  I do for sleeping-if I get a leak? just un-zip/un-button-step out and shower and do what I have to do.. All this will take time and money-But it does come in place nicely with just the simple starts..  I have done cataloge orders as I could not get out for a few years of MY healing --(not your time range of healing) Just be YOU, brighten up your smile-straighten your shoulders and you still part of  the community that you thought you left behind.. But better!!!!! Felicity and I are going to get a fashion show going-I have to send to her as she is best at computers than I.. And format this-in time.. So your welcome to add to this and any advise you have on this subject will be more than welcomed..  That too will take time-first YOU get used to your stoma (name it - most of us did) Mine is "Whoooooooooooooo Nellie" :-) it helps.. best to you, Marcie. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
17/11/2017 6:04 pm  

This is the CLOTHING thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in the right place gang!!! no more pointing fingers at Marcie..

Dee-Dee- I/We all went through the so called "dressing" of our pouching.. at first it took me about 1 hour to do-- Now? IF all goes well- 5 minutes. I did all sink bathing during my healing.. , now I do the bath -when it is the 3rd day to  put on a new dress on Nellie-she likes to get dressed up a lot--So, I make a nice time of it-love my baths, and have a fresh dress for Nellie waiting and ready to go after my bath-But I am still shy of showering with it on and leaving-  I tell u this as it takes some people longer to achieve certain points of our new condition..  Eric has GREAT blogs for u to read, So, Sit back and enjoy them..in your new duds of clothings...... So, find something in your closet and dress yourself up, and enjoy your holidays!! Keep that smile!!!!!!!!!! M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Estimable Member
17/11/2017 6:46 pm  

Skinny jeans are something you can do. The thing is finding a friendly medium. My stoma is level with my belly button, so a pair of low rise skinny jeans are wearable as long as I compromise and let Oscar the Pouch hang out. If the top is shorter I wear a pouch cover. High topped skinny jeans would be a no for me because I'd be worried about squeezing the bag.

If I feel a bit insecure about the bag showing through my tops in general I use a pashmina type shawl draped over the ostomy side of my body. It distracts from the slight bulge, adds a little warmth and can be removed when you've completed the battle of the bag bulge and emptied the bag. Likely a dressier look for me will be the ever so famous little (or not so little) black dress and a shawl over the shoulder. I've also got creative with sarongs and made a flowy vest thing just tying a knot. Here is an example https://youtu.be/fgujlUO2Pl8 . Imagine with a larger, flowier shawl. What you want to do is like magic, redirect attention, not cover it up and smother yourself in yards of fabric. Baggier clothes will show the bag as much as really tight ones do.

I'm currently still loving my salwar pants and wrap skirts. Comfort is key, these are so called one size that I selected for weight gain and the ability to change the waist location.

Deedee, is your stoma on your lower abdomen or nearer to belly button level? Skirts might be easier to manage and help you feel a bit more confident. Leggings and tunic tops are nice too. Leggings work nicely even with a belly button high placement. I just tend to prefer to put my pouch over the top of my bottoms.

How to wrap a ruana, these would work with the pashmina style shawls too. https://youtu.be/3Zq563nmj6A

I'm editing this post to add as I find nifty ways to wrap a shawl.

Edited: 2 months  ago

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
17/11/2017 7:34 pm  

LOve the shawl -  I do have a few like that-also bought a nice one that goes with my jean skirt.. I would love to see in your skinny jeans wearing Felicity- I used to wear mens jeans that hung lower as my waist was larger back then-- (I don't think that I will ever fill out again for that at my age now)I am not comfortable of showing the pouch tho-- Going to re-read the knotting of your first post..and practice.. -)

I like the slim-graceful look, (and I am a very TOO slim now) But, Dee-Dee, I hope your getting some info. here, and good luck-just be comfortable for now and get well-most of all conquer your NEW normal as we have and still working at it.. Thanks Felicity.. M.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
08/12/2017 5:33 pm  

I find having anything pressing my Nellie-stoma- the wafer looses it position, Also, causes pancaking.=leaks.. 

Even the seat belt- there are times I just snap it  closed behind me and just wear the over lap over my chest.

1.  So the cops don't pull me over :-)

2. Nellie is comfortable and I am pretty much safe.. To each their own.. But if I am real sore.. no compleat seat  belt! 

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Reputable Member
08/12/2017 9:13 pm  

Marcie I can understand not being comfortable in the car and I don't wanna sound like one of those people  . But how bout a stoma guard so you could put the seatbelt on properly  . I hate seat belts to but I'm just saying . 

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Honorable Member
09/12/2017 6:42 am  

Yep a stoma guard or one of the seat belt guards Eric did a review on, plus you could may be think of a home made solution nothing hard now that would be of more harm in an accident. I pull the belt out a little and put a peg at the top slide, its loose enough to give room and still hold in an accident.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Estimable Member
09/12/2017 10:57 am  

The seat belt is a lot of the reason I wear the bag with a cover outside my pants/ skirts. I get in, buckle and flip my bag over the belt. In my long coats it does not make an impact if I belt over it. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
09/12/2017 2:04 pm  

If I am hurting that much- I am not really going far or any place. Stoma guard looks so difficult for me-off on off on.. The SUV is not to bad tho--The smaller sports car?  that hurts!! My son bought that.... 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
09/12/2017 2:31 pm  

Felicity, I did this last week  and the seat belt popped off my 2 piece.. got that leak I told you about when I walked into infusion--Wont do that again!!!! Could be our difference in height, where the stoma is located.. Mostly I DO wear the seat belt-I think that in over 3years, I did not  wear it was when I had my gull bladder out and I had 25 staples-3 surgerys. they really cut me open more than getting my colon out with that operation..  (like get with the program Doctors!!!) I didn't drive then Tom drove me to infusions.. and for awhile, when I did drive, I used a pillow--  hate the seat belt tho-- I remember when there were NO seat belts, and when they came? they were more on the elastic side.. 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Honorable Member
09/12/2017 2:47 pm  

Marcie do check out the review on seat belt protectors, nothing beats a try and it would have saved that horrible leak.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Noble Member
09/12/2017 3:04 pm  

True John, That sucker just popped off!! I am like what did I do?  THen after a day or so, I figured it out.. Got into a detour and they had me on a make shift road, rather bumpy- so as I DO wear the seat belt mostly--Unless I come across a road like that-  I un-do it until if get into something like that--always thinking --except that day-but really, couldn't pull over and there were cops all around and couldn't re-do everything.. so I got popped! 

The protectors they seem to me that they fit on top of the stoma anyways.. so what is the point? I have some seat belt cushions etc.  I really don't want ANYTHING near that part if my body..  But I do wear the seat belt always-- But if I am in the car after a meal and going for a ride afterwards, I feel that the belt blocks my out put.. = leaks, = emergency change=a lousy days out.. :-( -but I will check this out again and be more alert.. IT has only been 3 years now and still a bit slow at getting it all together.. Talk about baby steps..

Again, to all: Thanks for your support and help to me during  my slow approaches.. I will get there!! Because I want to get there!!!!!   Hugs, Marcie..................... 

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Estimable Member
23/12/2017 10:11 am  

Here we have Marcie modelling maternity jeans and a long sweater. Maternity Jeans are nice and offer room for expansion and I imagine a light amount of support. Following image is a side view of this outfit.

1514041918-SweaterMaternity-Jeans-Front.jpg

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Estimable Member
23/12/2017 10:12 am  

Side view

1514041972-SweaterMaternity-Jeans.jpg

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Estimable Member
16/01/2018 3:32 pm  

Here I am in a pink long sleeve shirt. I always wind up rolling those sleeves up to mid forearm for some reason... If you see where my hand is resting Oscars edge is right there. This one is for a trick tip! The scarf dangling down so casually? It's disguising the fact Oscar could use a little emptying (about 3/4 of a cup of output I'd guess). The pants are "yoga/ Exercise" wear, they are comfortable but don't quite work for Oscar. The waist goes directly over Oscar bisecting my bag. I wind up with a bubble of air above and a bubble of poo below the waist.

1516134770-Pink-shirt-w-scarf.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register