Community Forums

Pancaking: A Headac...

Notifications
Clear all

Pancaking: A Headache for Ostomates since the 1800's (w/ video)

108 Posts
20 Users
57 Likes
24.9 K Views
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Let's discuss strategies to help reduce or eliminate "pancaking"!

For my written article on this topic, please click the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@Nailla)

Good article. Luckily I haven't had this problem as I have an ileostomy and I drink a lot of fluids.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Many colostomates have this problem, but I sometimes have it when my output is really thick (I do NOT drink enough!).

Zvitusk reacted
ReplyQuote
(@captainoyama)

Always an issue for me. I use colomajic disposable liners with a 2 piece system. simply remove the disposable liner and replace. They are less than 0.05 cents a bag in Canada and they extend the time range of my bags

ReplyQuote
(@Donna)

This is a great article. My son has an illiostomy "Crohn's" and only has problems with french fries and tater tots since they don't break down very well ( come out like they go in). He has to "chew chew chew swallow drink water" with each fry or else they all come out at once and cause his bag to push right off. He is 16 and had his first surgery 3.5 years ago. We learn as we go. Thanks

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Donna! Potatoes are my weakness, and they do come out really thick. Eating and drinking helps me too.

ReplyQuote
(@Debra)

I have just found this website and I am wrapped. I am a newbie as I had my surgery in June. This site is going to be so helpful, thankyou!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

:) I hope your surgery went well! Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@Homesheba)

I'm 61 years old and have had an ileostomy since I was 27 due to crohns. I Have gone through several major surgeries as basically i believe I was a test case for some doctors. Many times there just wasn't the knowledge or medications that could have been utilized. but the Lord kept me alive and now my major problem is scar tissue adhesions and blockages. I am so thankful that you have this site to help so many people! Much of what you discuss I have learned thru trial and error throughout the years, truly what you do is so important for many and I just wanted to thank you so much because I know how terrible it was for me to basically have no one to talk to about the scary things that happened while trying to learn to live with the ostomy. I have been married 43 years now to a man who meant the vows he took with me for "sickness and Heath, better or worst', and even tho there were many many trying times and loads of doctor , hospital , etc. bills, life has given me much joy and perhaps without what I have gone through I would not have appreciated things as much as I do. .. Just a thought?

dieffenk reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thank you so much for your message - it means a lot to me.

I'm so glad that you have a loving partner who has seen you through all this! Best of luck to you!

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@pmscpa)

Thanks for answering several questions I had about baby oil use, stuffing in some TP and using stool deodorant drops. You are a great help!

ReplyQuote
(@Wendy)

I am a relatively new ostomate having had my surgery 6 weeks ago. I am using the Sensura Mio 2 piece bag with a convex wafer. I use the sticker and the deodorant gel and I still experience pancaking. I have used other brands (Hollister, Convatec), flat, convex. Changed my diet as much as I can at this point. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions from experienced ostomates are welcome!

ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

Hi Wendy,

I would imagine that's pretty frustrating! When you put the sticker on the filter, do you blow a bit of air into the bag, or do you put some wet toilet paper into the bag? You need to make sure that there's some air in there to separate the walls of the pouch, or else it'll create a vacuum.

Also, do you have an ileostomy or colostomy? How thick is your output and is it like that all the time? Do you ever experience less pancaking or is it all the time?

Regards, Eric

ReplyQuote
(@Wendy)

Eric,

Thanks for your quick reply! I have a colostomy. I had my sigmoid colon removed and understand that my output should be fairly "solid"...but it isn't. It is the consistency of whipped potato all the time. I have had the pancaking problem since day one. It has caused skin irritation and leaks. I don't think I have worn a bag for more than 2 days, if I'm lucky. The output pancakes and pushes under the wafer even with an Eakin ring. The Mio 2 piece has been the best and longest lasting so far.

I have tried blowing air into the bag but never tried the wet TP. I will give that a shot.

Thanks,

Wendy

ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

I'm surprised that you find the Mio works best for you; I experienced more pancaking with the Mio because of the large filter.

But it often takes some experimentation to find a combination or technique that works for you.

Wishing you all the best!

ReplyQuote
(@Cletus)

My theory is that pancaking is caused by a design flaw in all bags and I have a couple of ideas of how to rectify it but don't know who in the companies to reach out to with them.

ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

I'd suggest you develop a working prototype, get a patent on it, and then start showcasing it :)

Sounds exciting!

ReplyQuote
(@Cletus)

Thanks. I'm going to give Coloplast, which has been the worst for me as far as pc goes, a call on Monday and see if they bite. I'm friendly with a rep over there.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@VeganOstomy)

Good luck! I would still suggest getting a patent so the idea doesn't get stolen.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Jennifer Fussell)

I'm new to an ileostomy. Please explain about disposable liners. Seems like less mess to deal with. Plus while out and about seems to be less burden. Which bags are they made for? I'm fresh out of surgery and the hospital since last week and surgery was on 3/25/17. All of this is so overwhelming. Ruptured appendix and bowel blockage with 24 window of losing my life got me a my very own stoma. Bleh. Life for me is blessed but I'm just learning.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6