Community Forums

Adding long, wide a...

Notifications
Clear all

Adding long, wide and flat Vent to ostomy bag.  

RSS

polgyver
(@polgyver)
Registered
July 26, 2020 11:53 am  

Hello, everybody, I would like to share the results of my experiments with improving ventilation  of ostomy pouch. Ballooning was often for me a problem, so I tried OSTO E-Z Vent. But there was a problem - I had to be awake to open the vent. Also, reaching for the vent's plug was inconvenient. Closing the vent was also sometimes difficult.

All these problems are solved for me, since I invented and made quite different Vent.

I bought a "lay flat tubing" which is 1 inch wide, on a roll, the foil is 4 mil, which I cut for straps 9" long and weld one end with lunch bag thermal sealer. I use strong, 1 inch wide two sided glue tape made by Tesa. I attach a rectangle of said tape, 1-1/4 long, to the upper front side of no-fabric Coloplast bag. To this tape I attach the strap, its weld just below lower edge of 2-sided tape. I have to cut the bigger opening in the bag for my stoma, and then I insert a long and thin strap of plywood into the plastic strap, for punching out a hole, 1/4" dia, using standard pipe-like punch. The hole is punched through the bag's wall, the Tesa tape and through one side of plastic strap (the plywood saves the second strap's wall from punching).

I need to insert into the plastic vent sort of wall separator, another flat strap with meshed walls, because without it the walls of lay-flat tubing tended to cling together, disabling gas escape. The vent's upper end is reaching above my waist line, and when flatulence happens, I am the first one to smell it, as the gas travels just under my shirt. This allows me to excuse myself from any social gathering for a while, before anybody else can smell anything.

Before night sleep, I insert a piece of toilet paper, to the top end of vent, this prevents small leaks of any possible liquid output. Now I can sleep without fear that the pouch ballooning would explode and soil my bed.

Another advantage of this vent is possibility to rinse the stoma - and with a lot of water, much more than rinsing through osto-E-Z vent. I use small funnel inserted in the top end of vent. This vent has many advantages compared to E-Z Vent, especially it can be made by ostomy bag users who have some basic skills.

Cheers, polgyver

Colostomy April 2016

Topic Tags
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 26, 2020 12:15 pm  

Hi polgyver, Welcome to the site. Necessity is the mother of invention. Plus never see anything wrong with something that gets the job done.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and polgyver liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 28, 2020 1:47 pm  

Glad you made it to the forums, Andrzej! Thank you for sharing this. 

Feel free to add a photo of your invention to the topic. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
polgyver
(@polgyver)
Registered
August 18, 2020 10:46 pm  

@veganostomy Hi, Eric, I still need to figure out how to add a photo to a post...

I am curious if there are members of this Forum who would like to try out how my Vent works. Perhaps the pouch balooning is not a problem for majority of ostomates, but the Osto E-Z vent is still selling, despite its shortcomings, so it means many people need it.

What I am hoping for, is change in ostomy pouch usage: change from tightly CLOSED bag to permanently, partially OPEN bag. No more "burping" of pouch nor partially opening for gas release. The long flat Vent will prevent any overpressure in the pouch, thus preventing separation between wafer's  glue and skin. Ease of stoma rinsing will help keeping it clean and prevent erosion of glue by acidic bag contents. These 2 factors would enable to keep the pouch for longer times than usual 1 week.

I am willing to give away some of Vents (which I already made), to any Forum members who would like to try them out. In what way to distribute the Vents? Please, make suggestions... I live in East Scarborough, if someone lives in this area, the Vents could be picked from my home. Otherwise, I could mail them to Forum members who are interested in trying them out.

Regards, polgyver

Colostomy April 2016

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 19, 2020 3:53 pm  

See the attached photo for how to attach a photo :)

Members are welcome to private message you if they are interested in trying your product, but I would like to keep commercial posts off the forum as I didn't set it up for others to profit from it directly. 

If members who have tried this product would like to add their feedback, they are more than welcome to.

1597866804-attaching-file.png

LK liked
ReplyQuote
polgyver
(@polgyver)
Registered
September 5, 2020 11:53 pm  

I need to add some info about specific problems which I have with my stoma : the stoma is prolapsing, so, when I walk or sit, it sticks out into the pouch. As it has rather larger diameter, it is not possible for me to replace pouch standing in front of a mirror. Before changing pouch, I have to lie down for a few minutes to make the sticking out stoma "sink" into my belly. After that I detach the old pouch, next I clean the area and finally I can attach new pouch. To be able to see what I am doing, I use a mirror on a stand next to bed, the mirror twisted 45 degrees towards me. For easier guiding the pouch, I use plastic "fork" to which I attach temporarily the pouch using medical glue tape.  I intended to add a photo, but - instead of expected : "Attach file" and "choose file" - I see only "Preview" and "4 Revisions" and "saved" below ONLY...

Cheers, polgyver

Colostomy April 2016

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 6, 2020 6:17 am  

@polgyver

Hi mate it is I think a common problem that I have come to believe depending on the current intestinal action that the stoma will prolapse when stood up and retract when lying down, partially I think due to the cut of the abdominal muscles around the stoma. My Stoma nurse also stated that sometime the intestines bulge behind the stoma and retract relax when lying down so a small hernia will retract also. IS something we often find out for ourselves. Additionally I when lying down attempt to stretch the skin to reduce the dragging cause by gravity. we all learn these tricks as we go along.

Cheers, Chris and Bagpus

Colostomy Jan 2020

polgyver liked
ReplyQuote
polgyver
(@polgyver)
Registered
September 6, 2020 11:14 am  

@veganostomy Hi, Eric, I still could not upload a photo, as I did not have the option to see the "radiobutton" with name "Choose file" below the area for posting the text. Could it be that some Forums prevent photos until the member submits more than 5 posts?

Regards, polgyver

Colostomy April 2016

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 6, 2020 10:29 pm  
Posted by: @polgyver

@veganostomy Hi, Eric, I still could not upload a photo, as I did not have the option to see the "radiobutton" with name "Choose file" below the area for posting the text. Could it be that some Forums prevent photos until the member submits more than 5 posts?

Regards, polgyver

Ah, yes! There is a minimum 5 post limit before attachments can be added to posts. You're nearly there 😀

ReplyQuote
polgyver
(@polgyver)
Registered
September 11, 2020 12:06 am  

@veganostomy That's OK, as the popular saying goes, the picture is worth a thousand words...

I would like to share with this Forum members some more ideas about ostomy care, and photo seems the easiest way to convey an idea.

Cheers,

polgyver

Colostomy April 2016

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 11, 2020 7:12 am  

@polgyver

Looks like you got your fifth post so pictures soon :-) 

Looking forward to your ideas sharing is great when it helps someone and I'm sure you will.

Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote