Clear all

Psyllium Husk

10 Posts
6 Users
13 Likes
Dtheblack
(@dtheblack)
Topic starter  

Can, does Psyllium Husk slow down an ileostomy? I’m not wanting to take Imodium. Or eat anymore bananas, potatoes, or chips.

ileostomy

LK reacted
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi,  I used metamucil cookies ( wafers, crackers)  before I had my surgery to thicken up my output. It worked for that. They are made from Psyllium plants, but at least in the cookie form, have kind of long stringy stuff that I would worry about clogging up your new pipe system.

The powered form would not do this. It will thicken the output and thereby may slow it down. Maybe worth a try.

I do eat lots of fiber. Try Scandinavian style crisp breads ( crackers) , whole grain. Most of them ( like WASA are rye based). There are lots of kinds , just make sure they are high fibre, whole grain types. I usually eat a couple in the morning...

Seek out other high fiber foods too.

Good luck.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

Not sure if this will help 

Golden linseed's, marshmallow (The plant, the confectionery marshmallow doesn't always contain marshmallow which it gets its name from) and slippery elm are all mucilaginous and might help.

Anyone tried these?

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @dtheblack

Can, does Psyllium Husk slow down an ileostomy?

Potentially, yes. But I would choose a powdered form, not the whole husks as those might have an opposite effect. 

Also, please use caution with any thickening products if you've had a history of blockages as they may contribute to them. 

Good luck! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

Eric has raised an important point.

I add to my last post I should say its best to try these in powered form just as for nut products, my wife grinds them in  a coffee grinder which helps the absorption of the useful ingredients and in the case  of nuts reduces the chance of whole nut passing through or becoming stuck!

Also try small portions and build up gradually, always a sound idea.

I have colostomy so use linseed every day (powdered) to help maintain a steady flow softening without causing wateriness is this the same for ileostomies?

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Dtheblack
(@dtheblack)
Topic starter  

This is what I’m trying out. I’ll let everyone know how it works. I’m adding a tsp to my morning yogurt. I hope it slows the flow down.

1600454637-69E907C5-1A43-4E5A-91AE-03E8AE24C77E.jpeg

LK and ChrisandBagpus reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@dtheblack that looks like a good product. Please let us know how it works out ?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@chrisandbagpus... I have the ileostomy,  11 yrs now. I had a horrid time of blockages, but learned it was compliments of kinks and tightening of small intestine compliments of scar tissue.  If your going to try anything like these type of  products, just remember... everything in moderation & drink your fluids to help proper hydration of the ground up anything!! Report back from either of you would be great, I would love to know! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Dtheblack
(@dtheblack)
Topic starter  

I’ve started with a 1/2 tsp and worked up too 1 full tsp. This stuff slows down the output pretty good.  I add the Husk to my morning yogurt a 5.3 Oz cup.

I’ll keep y’all posted. Enjoy your day.

ReplyQuote
(@afeinland)

I'm about a week post-op (loop ileostomy) and I recently started using the metamucil psyllium caps, and I'm pretty happy with them.

One serving (about 2g fiber) will help keep my stools from being totally liquid.

Another food I like for thickening is canned sweet potato puree. A few Tbsp with a meal (also about 2g fiber) will help give me an applesauce consistency. The canned pumpkin puree would probably work too, but it's not as sweet as the sweet potato.

Dtheblack and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote