6 Users
19 Reactions
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @bigmike322

I burped the bag right before that

Was the bag really full of gas? I find that gas can cause leaks faster/more easily than output, especially since you mentioned the use of a barrier ring.

It's good that you're identifying possible causes! Keep moving forward, Mike. 😀 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
BigMike322
(@bigmike322)

@veganostomy Thank you.  It had a de ent amount but it wasn't ballooning.  I do get a lot of gas, even in the morning when I haven't eaten in 10-12 hours.  I try to do intermittent fasting to help keep my weight loss and settle my stoma down before bed.

ReplyQuote
BigMike322
(@bigmike322)

How does gas cause leaks?   I do feel thr gas coming out of three stoma at times and I usually don't feel the stool.  

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)

How does gas cause leaks?   I do feel thr gas coming out of three stoma at times and I usually don't feel the stool.  

gas can cause leaks for me if I lie on my belly accidently , haven't had one for a while now as I normally wake up and burp the bag , but I have had the bag be as tight as a drum and will lift any appliance if it gets that bad , the vents on the hollister kinda work esp since I just change the bag every time rather than empty . 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

How does gas cause leaks?

I should clarify, not just gas, but ballooning. If there's no pressure in the bag, it's unlikely that gas will cause a leak.

Of course, as @tony-h pointed out, rolling over on a bag full of gas can create the amount of pressure needed to lift the wafer up enough to cause a leak.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
BigMike322
(@bigmike322)

Gotcha.  I do worry about ballooning.  It hasn't been as bad lately. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4