Clear all

Razor

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

Anyone found the best way to remove hair in stoma area?  I bought an electric razor I thought Would work well, but it seems to clog with the stickiness from adhesive and mats down hair in hard to access points.  I try to remove all adhesive,  but just takes too much scrubbing it turns red if I scrub too hard.

thanks

(@john68)

Hi Rick, To start with do try and use the adhesive removal spray, it’s important to remove all residue and keep the skin in good condition. For hair you can pluck or I use a razor but please be careful!!!. A Q tip can be used to move hair closer to the stoma safely away 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@catostomy)

Yes, I use the adhesive remover and each week my Gillette triple blade razor. No probs to date.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

I use a clipper by Wahl - a small one designed for beards.  I can't shave the hair around my stoma with a razor because I get ingrown hairs that way.  I change my appliance every 5 days, and clipping gets it close enough to get me through the five days.  For adhesive residue, I just clean well with a warm washcloth.  I don't use adhesive remover.  The Hollister adhesives come off of me pretty cleanly.  Convatec, on the other hand, makes a big sticky mess on me, so I stopped using those products for now.     

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Nothing beats using an epilator then finishing with tweezers, or just using tweezers. It takes some time for this method to show its magic, but after doing it for over six years, I only have to tweeze out maybe 20 small budding hairs with each change and it takes much longer for them to grow back. It also cuts down on irritation from using a razor and ingrown hairs are rare to none. 

The downsides? A little bit of pain to start (this goes away considerably as you use this technique often), and maybe a little more time to tweeze vs shaving, but that also reduces significantly as you use this method more. 

An adhesive remover is still a good option for removing the wafer, but if you want to slow down/stop the growth of hair, I do suggest tweezing :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

i like the simple single blade razors, they don't clog up as easy as a multi blade.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @dogtalkerer

i like the simple single blade razors, they don't clog up as easy as a multi blade.

Are you using disposable or safety razors? If the latter, what brand do you find works best? I use safety razors on my face and the brand of the blades and the razor itself can have vastly different results. 

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

I think it’s important to always use a good branded blade, I like a Gillette and keep it solely for my stoma. 

ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

just cheap disposable ones, they last a long time. 

ReplyQuote
(@uctoostomy)

Has anyone tried waxing?  

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @uctoostomy

Has anyone tried waxing?  

I'd be interested to know this as well. I suspect that it could be problematic for a few reasons:

• It may require too much prep time.
  • It does require that hair has grown out a bit, so it misses the short hairs that would likely be under the wafer.
  • It may be too aggressive for the skin.

ReplyQuote
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

The adhesive remover is great for the water barrier glue, but it does not seem to remove the stickiness of the wafer after removed.  I wipe it good with warm water, but it always seems sticky around stoma, which makes it difficult to get the sticky, flattened  hairs right next to stoma.  Any suggestions on getting rid of this stickiness?

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Rick, try some of the adhesive remover on some gauge and use to clean round the stoma. Also I have always been a great believer in jumping in the shower. Nothing beats it for a fresh clean change ?

ReplyQuote