Bag issue

16 Posts
6 Users
17 Likes
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

Once again I am new to all of this,

one of the problems I’m seeing is when I go out to the store and reach up to a shelf my bag hangs out from under shirt, because my shirt is not long enough...what can I do to prevent this from happening?  I’ve read about stealth belts but I’m confused as to what to do if you don’t wear yours sideways.  I’ve tried using a stoma dome protector but it slides all over the place and I usually wear my bag outside my pants because everything else would cut off the bag.  Other than buying long shirts is there a way around this issue?  

please help thank you

glenn.giroir reacted
(@john68)

Hi Rick, if it’s not suitable to wear inside or with a stealth belt why not try a wrap 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

glenn.giroir and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hi Rick,

How about a pouch cover? They come in seemingly endless colors (and patterns). A dark color wouldn’t be noticeable with dark pants, and you could get a khaki one, too. The fabric for many is a thin cotton, not bulky, and they are washable.
LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

@john68

what is a wrap?  Does it cutoff the bag?

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Just simply a band that can be used to conceal and support the bag! Look up ostomy accessories and Eric will explain. As many problems there may be always a solution 

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

I wear wraps from Ostomysecrets.  The unisex ostomy classic wrap. I have two black ones and a white one.  I use them for everything except sleeping.  No one will ever be able to see your bag, and it is very comfortable to me.  An added bonus for me is that I wear it over the top part of my pants and it functions pretty well as a belt also.  It looks just like an undershirt to anyone who might see it.  I do have to pull it down several times a day as it tends to creep up, but I just do it automatically now.  It is not tight enough to constrict your stoma.  I was really worried about that when I first started wearing it, but within a few days, I realized that it doesn't affect output flow at all.  I do have both a vertical and horizontal stealth belt, but for now, at least, I favor the wraps over the stealth belts.    

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Wraps are my "go-to" for these situations, although I also do wear a pouch cover or StealthBelt during other times.

The wraps will offer concealment and support. If you get one that's white, it will look like you have an undershirt under your actual shirt. If you get different colors, you can match them to your shirt or pants to it's more camouflaged. 

Here's my article/video on wraps if you want to learn more: https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-ostomy-wraps/

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

I hope pictures are okay here - I thought it might help to give a visual.  There is a pocket inside of the wrap where the bag fits.  

1593973188-IMG_6260.jpg

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

Another...

1593973224-IMG_6264.jpg

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

One more...

1593973256-IMG_6265.jpg

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Glenn a picture can speak a thousand words, Now I defy anyone to know what is underneath ?

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)

@veganostomy

Sorry Eric.  Didn't realize you had it covered with the link to your video.  Eric's video is perfect to explain wraps.  

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Rick, there is so much on this VeganOstomy site to explore - Eric has truly made a positive difference in life. I have found it really enjoyable to look for information or just wander (and have learned a lot!). I found VO when I was Googling for information on clothing options - clicked on VeganOstomy and hit the jackpot! LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

other options as well.   longer shirts is a non intrusive option.    wraps are fine in cool weather, less appealing when its warm and horrible when its hot out..   I wear bib overalls.  if only for in-store, tuck bag into pants, not a all day event I'm guessing.  you can modify the bags with velcro so bag can fold up to 3/4 size.  

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

I have a dumb question...is a wrap the same thing as the hernia wrap I see on amazon?  If not when do u use each one?

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Rick, The only dumb question is one that isn’t asked.!! They are 2 very different devices. The hernia support is a rigid belt individually measured and fitted while the wrap is for bag support and covering. Plus always remember that you may not need all or any of the devices you see. They are individual choices. I only use the wafer and bag. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote