Community Forums

Granuloma  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS

Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
14/04/2018 5:44 pm  

I tried to get the Nitrate in USA.  Nope, sooo far. 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
15/04/2018 6:14 am  

The silver nitrite seems to be the key to treating these, yes cauterising by a doctor when really bad would be the next step. but I have a question are we supposed to be using silver nitrite by ourselves? it would be very handy to do as taking of the appliance and putting it back on took far longer than the treatment. When it was put on the granuloma it turned grey and I know mind is underneath and I held the stoma out of the way while the nurse did it! I dread to think what it would do to the stoma if touched by accident OUCH!!! May be I am wrong!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
15/04/2018 9:10 am  
Posted by: john68

but I have a question are we supposed to be using silver nitrite by ourselves? 

I'm sure some patients so, but I can only imagine the damage it can do if not used properly... and I don't think the majority of patients could use it properly unless they have been shown how to. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
kamgirl
(@kamgirl)
Registered
16/04/2018 10:41 am  

Hi, I just had surgery in February 2018 and after a month of skin separation issues, out 'grew' a  a granuloma.  No problem at the start, but lo and behold, it developed into a fistula.  Ugh.    

It doesn't sound like silver nitrate would work for me to clear up the granuloma and a fistula.  Has anybody else experienced this?  

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
16/04/2018 12:29 pm  

Welcome to the forums, Kamgirl. 

Many patients seem to have luck with the silver nitrate for granuloma, but it wouldn't be used to treat a fistula. I would have your stoma nurse and/or surgeon assess the fistula to see what options you have. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
16/04/2018 12:56 pm  

Hi Kamgirl, I agree with Eric, with the fistula on board that will need medical advice. Since I posted my problem with mine is goes to show how many ostomates are having problems with one. I am going to throw some thing out here. Mine was their for years trouble free and it started to give trouble when a bought myself a stoma guard. Now before I go any further these devices work well and are a great way to protect!!! so any one thinking of getting one or using one don,t be put off!! I wear a 2 piece and the way that some of the guards work on that type of appliance is to rest on the edge of the ring of the wafer. could be be that the sleeping granuloma I had for years got irritated!! Its crossed my mind but their again may be coincidence.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
16/04/2018 4:25 pm  

Is your " Granuloma " on your stoma ? They usually are on the Stoma or right at the base part of the Stoma . If it's not in that area it was probably a Fistula from the start that finally filled up to bursting point . With a Fistula you usually feel throbbing that is relieved once it opens up and starts draining. If its next to your stoma but on the flat skin part it was always a Fistula.

Be well , Bubbles

ReplyQuote
kamgirl
(@kamgirl)
Registered
16/04/2018 4:46 pm  

Hi there.  It does look like the fistula is indeed inside the granuloma, but it is difficult to tell (even with both my partner and I looking!!!).  

Oddly enough I had this surgery to help heal two long-standing non-healing perianal fistulas--this really is an unpleasant surprise.  The local ER confirmed the fistula, and they are sending the CT scan to my surgeon to review. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes away by itself, but it's a long shot.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
16/04/2018 5:13 pm  

Bummer yeah Fistulas are a real booger . I had a RVF for two years . That was torture . Finally had it removed with my Ileostomy surgery . I really feel for you sorry . Unfortunately surgery is usually the real fix if not it will heal but eventually reform . 

Wishing you all the best , Bubbles 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
17/04/2018 12:26 am  
Posted by: kamgirl

It does look like the fistula is indeed inside the granuloma, but it is difficult to tell (even with both my partner and I looking!!!).  

Do you have Crohn's Disease? A fistula that is  caused by Crohn's would need to be addressed on the Crohn's side of things or it will be a persistent problem for you. Do you have a history of fistulas? 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
24/02/2019 11:27 am  

Hi Folks, For this last year I have been posting about my granuloma and its been a case of winning and losing. Over all I have good skin condition and this little guys have been a real pain in the side literally!! After talking over with my Doctor I am to have them removed tomorrow. Will just be a day procedure and will be done under a general anesthetic . The surgeon who is doing the job trained under the guy who did my ostomy 24 years ago, I hadn't seen him since way back then, The years have not been kind to either of us LOL :-) and couldn't resist telling him!! he did know I was joking!! :-)  

LK and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
24/02/2019 11:57 am  

Hi John,

Good luck with the repair. Its sounds like a good step. Let us know how it goes. Good thing it is an out patient procedure too. Best to be back home ASAP!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
24/02/2019 3:10 pm  

Best of luck, John!

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
25/02/2019 7:20 am  

Hi John,

Wishing you a swift recovery. You are in my prayers.

Stella

LK, Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
25/02/2019 11:59 am  

Cheers folks, jobs been done and waiting on my lift home. Prepared a bag and wafer before I went down and it’s back on and I can feel a difference already 

LK, Dona and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
25/02/2019 1:39 pm  

John, I hope things continue in a positive direction! 

LK, Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
26/02/2019 11:13 am  

Hope you are feeling even better today!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
27/02/2019 8:32 pm  

I have been reading about this granuloma thing, I have looked it up also and I must be in the wrong places because I am still not clear on what a granuloma is exactly.  John, could you or someone tell me what this is and what it looks like and what it looked like from the start?  Is this something that just happened?  I have noticed lately that I have these small little bumps around the skin on my stoma. Is this something I should have looked at?  John, I m glad you are home and I hope this thing does not come back to greet you again. There was a lot of talk about silver nitrate. I know what it is and what it does, but is this how they treat a granuloma?

Linda

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
28/02/2019 4:30 am  

Hi Linda, A granuloma can appear any where on the body, it does not only affect Ostomy patients. With a stoma they are at the very edge and can grow quickly. Reason can be infection or a poorly fitting wafer. With me I have no clue why as none of the reasons apply. I have always had a small flap of skin at the stoma site and that’s where the trouble started. Treatments where not working that’s why I decided to have them removed although there is always a chance they can return. Any one using silver nitrate and not knowing what they are doing will cause more harm. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
28/02/2019 8:20 am  

Good news about your feeling better, John. Hopefully, They will not come back!

Stella

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register