Community Forums

Are bags and wafers...

Are bags and wafers universal?  

RSS

Hsvs23
(@hsvs23)
Registered
18/02/2018 12:35 am  

Hi everyone. I just joined the forum after using the helpful advice on this site since my temporary emergency colostomy op in Dec. I went to the hospital on Dec 20 with fever and stomach pains and the next thing I know, I have an ostomy and have to spend Xmas in hospital. Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to use different manufacters' bags and wafers with each other. I  have a load of coloplast bags the hospital gave me for free but the wafers are really expensive so I hoped I could use them with cheaper ones. Thanks in advance. 

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
18/02/2018 12:44 am  

Welcome to the forums!

I've written an article about using two different brands when there's an adhesive coupling system involved: https://www.veganostomy.ca/adhesive-pouch-hack/

But I suspect that you're using a 2pc that has a mechanical coupling (hard plastic rings) to connect the bag with the wafer. 

In that case, I have heard of some people being able to use certain bags from one brand with wafers from another brand, but there's no list available for what's compatible with what... you have to pretty much experiment.

One thing you could try is to request samples of wafers from various manufactures and see if they fit - just make sure you get ones that are the size that will fit those pouches. 

Good luck! If you do manage to find a combination that works, please let us know! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Hsvs23
(@hsvs23)
Registered
18/02/2018 1:02 am  

Thanks for replying, and thanks for your great website - it's really helped me. I live in China which is the land of copying so I'm sure I'll find a cheap alternative somewhere :-) 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
18/02/2018 2:07 am  
Posted by: Hsvs23

I live in China which is the land of copying so I'm sure I'll find a cheap alternative somewhere :-) 

This would be very interesting to know! I've always wanted to order some appliances from China (through ebay) to see how they are, but I feel that unless they come from a reputable company, their continued availability may be difficult to guarantee. 

If you do run into any inexpensive appliances that work for you, please let us know!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
20/02/2018 12:20 pm  

Hi Hsvs23 welcome to the group .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
20/02/2018 8:13 pm  

H 23/ Nope, You have to order by color **** When ordering ask questions!! I use Byrun usa here.  You will get the hang of it.  

There r deals out there--Eric has some ideas and others on here the past week. 

Best, M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register