Notifications
Clear all

Bag exploding

Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
Topic starter  

I have seen multiple posts about this happening. How does this happen?  is it an excess of gas in the bag that eventually causes a leak, or is it rolling over on a full bag at night while sleeping....wondering?

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered

Hi Rick,

I've had two occasions like this.  While the bag did not actually explode, it was a real mess.  The first was when my bag filled with gas so much one night, it made the flange adhesive separate from my abdomen.  The second was when I sat up from bed one morning and that caused pressure in the bag (which was filled with gas), which caused the bag to pop right off of the flange where the bag couples with the flange (Hollister 2-piece, which does not lock).

Glenn

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @rick

How does this happen?

While I don't think I've ever experienced bag EXPLODING,  I have experienced what I call "blowouts", which are more catastrophic compared to leaks.

With a blowout, a bag may be filled with gas or output that needs to go somewhere. The easiest exit is to back out of the wafer, right under the adhesive. With a leak, the wafer contains the mess, with a blowout output breaches past the wafers edge and onto clothing, bedding, etc.

I used to get blowouts pretty regularly at first. This was caused by my bag filling up overnight until it could not handle anymore. It's rare to non-existent now, but I've also gained a lot of experience along the way. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

This happened to me last night. I woke up at 4:30 and my bag was hard as a rock. When this happens I usually stay on my back and undo the tail and let the excess air out (after reading Glenn’s story, I don’t try to get up with the bag that tight). Apparently the pressure was pushing everything under the wafer and the added pressure of me lifting the bag a little to undo the tail caused enough force to push it out from under the wafer. It was a crazy morning with a very early start. Also, I ended up rescheduling my ostomy appt for this afternoon because 2 changes in a day is a pain. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@squeakyandliza That's a shame :(

I've woken up with a rock-hard bag more than a few times - with a pouch cover on and no bottom opening to the pouch cover. Let's just say that I've been very fortunate that a 2-pc system allows for burping or I'd have to cut the pouch cover off 😲

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
Topic starter  

I guess having benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate) is a plus...I have to get up to pee every few hours. 😏

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

I have been thinking of a design something like a roman emperor throne?

A toilet with a chaise lounge attached to the side. so I can lie beside the toilet like an emperor as sometimes my trips are almost circular returning a few minutes later!

perhaps call it a Commodus Emperous (Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus) :-D 

Fortunately I've only had a few close calls -a one piece bag no way - In hospital 3 leaked within 30 minutes. As Eric says 2 piece burp or a large splash!

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

I've only ever had one bag explosion. I was doing some welding in the barn and some molten slag dripped onto my  pants right over my bag and melted the plastic. The leak was enormous 😁 

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

@chrisandbagpus It's been invented, the Napper Crapper! YouTube Link

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

@goatherder

That's for the beer drinking TV addict :-) 

I was thinking more o the lying on your side eating grapes style.

Gave me a good laugh thought.

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

You guys are funny - I really appreciate that we are able to laugh! When I was prepping for a colostomy not long ago the full high-input bag actually popped (!) when it blew off, leaving the flange attached on only one side. The high input bag had a very tiny spout-style opening, which I think got plugged. When I tried to manually move things around a little to empty it - pop! 

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
JazNicolson
(@jaznicolson)
Registered

Hi 

Today I learned to always bring a spare set of undergarments That way at least I can clean up and not ‘smell’.  I’m also looking for some type of Ostomy wrap or belt which might contain the leakage, then I could just carry a fresh belt and not a whole outfit.

ReplyQuote