Cycling/Hiking/clim...

Notifications
Clear all

Cycling/Hiking/climbing help needed

kevin eh
(@kevin-eh)
Registered
Topic starter  

I am new to having an ostomy.  I use to climb, bike and hike but I am having trouble with the climbing and hiking part. 

Climbing: I have started using a full body harness instead of a standard harness and I am wondering if anyone has any other tips.

Biking: I just don't eat before going biking so my bag does not swell while biking.  Any other tips or helpful ideas.

Hiking: How do i using a hiking backpack with a waist strap?  Would a stoma guard protect the stoma if the strap went over the stoma area?  I am thinking of getting the Ostomy Resolutions Sure Guard.  Can anyone offer any advise on this?

Also, I would love to talk to someone who is active and young/middle age to talk about what I am going through and how difficult it is.

Thanks,

Kevin

Madrad and Lynne liked
Lynne
(@lynne)
Registered

Hi Kevin.  I found this woman's site about her many outdoor adventures very inspiring Ostomy Outdoors – OstomyOutdoors.com chronicles my return to outdoor adventures with a permanent ileostomy. Hopefully you'll get some good tips there. 

I had my surgery about a year and a half ago and am really happy/in the best health I've ever been but while I am middle age :-) ,  so far I have just done long walks/hikes without backpacks and do a lot of yoga/qigong, so my experience is not directly applicable to your question.

I think you'll find there are solutions to help you do whatever it is you want to do!  All the best.

ReplyQuote
kevin eh
(@kevin-eh)
Registered
Topic starter  

@lynne

Thanks for the post Lynne and the link.  I had found her prior and her stoma is below the belt line of the harness.  Lucky duck.  

Also thank you for the encouragment.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome to the forums @kevin-eh 

I think many of your concerns are quite valid and could likely be solved by using a stoma guard during those times. Take your time to research the guards. Some are better suited to your needs, and my preference is flatter guards, but they work better when you have looser output.

Something that came to mind that I hadn't even considered until now is maybe using a seat belt protector with your backpack's waist strap: https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-seatbelt-protectors/

I have a few Osprey bags that I wear when I'm out hiking and while the band comes close to my stoma, it's not enough to cause problems. What backpack are you using?

While I don't cycle (hurts to sit on a bike seat), I would suggest some kind of support wrap or belt to better support the weight of the bag. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes: https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-ostomy-support-garments/

You'll probably end up discovering techniques that work best for your situation as you have more experience. Everything is a new opportunity to learn, and I would invite you to share any tips that end up working for you. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

cymed ostomy products home page once had a climber pictured. for me the cymed micro skin  1 piece was the best for biking/skiing/kayaking.- crazy flexibility!

I did ice climb once- no problems with standard harness.  I have a colostomy thou.  I find  canvas  bib overalls enough protection for stoma. wraps are way too hot for me for summer mountain biking.   enough clothing layers in winter.

does your stoma get sore if you bump it?  my stoma is a lot like the ear.  I can pull it, smash it , bend it and it does fine. going on 13yrs of abuse.

go easy and see what works and what isn't necessary.   I think a rigid  guard would restrict my flexibility.  I did fall flat on my face on a downhill  in a ski race.  I think a guard would have hurt more.

ReplyQuote
kevin eh
(@kevin-eh)
Registered
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer 

How do you manage your bag with cycling.  Do you not eat prior to biking so the bag does not bloat or empty it during your ride?  Any tips?

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

the Coloplast Sensura folds up enough at the end so the drain doesn't interfere with peddling.  I tuck bag into cycling shorts.

the colostomy works much different than the ileostomy.  I find pasta slows down system nicely.  rice seems to work.  I've emptied the bag outside before far enough off trail.  and can release gas bloating while peddling. .

ReplyQuote
kevin eh
(@kevin-eh)
Registered
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer

Thanks for the encouragment and advise. I use the Coloplast Sensura also and have emptyed on the side of a trail.  I can say that is one benefit vs not having a stoma and trying to find a toilet and a safe place to stash the bike.

ReplyQuote