On March 15th, 2017 I spoke to the members of Ostomy Toronto as a guest speaker.
I love how organic the conversations and questions were, and I had such a great time with the group.
Here’s a video clip of part of the discussion we had. It focused on how I adjusted to my plant-based diet after getting my ostomy, concerns about protein, how I recovered from anemia, and more!
Audio for the full talk can be heard below.
Ostomy Toronto March 15, 2017 Talk (1 hour and 10 minutes long)
- My story about IBD and my ostomy.
- Why I decided on an ostomy instead of a resection.
- How I managed my diet during the transition after my surgery.
- Tips to avoid blockages and my blockage story.
- Mechanical causes of blockages.
- How I recovered from Anemia.
- Tips on increasing iron absorption.
- Where to get protein on a vegan diet.
- Addressing concerns about soy.
- Tips on how to transition to a plant-based diet.
- Wound healing on a plant-based diet.
- Gas and beans.
- Gut bacteria and promoting a healthy gut flora.
- Roller coasters with an ostomy.
- Stoma guards and their uses.
- How long I’ve been vegan and why I went vegan.
- Ostomy Diet: What to Eat in the First Six Weeks
- Ostomy Diet: Beyond Your Recovery
- Enhancing nutrient absorption
- Protein – the What, Why and How
- Transitioning to a Plant-Based Diet: Tips from an Expert (Q&A with a Registered Dietitian)
- Are plant-based diets healthy?
- Fiber: Friend or Foe to someone with Inflammatory Bowel Disease?
- Finding a Registered Dietitian: IBD/Ostomy Tips
- How to Track Your Nutrient Intake
- Going Vegan: Tips for New and Soon-To-Be Vegans
- Dealing with gas in your ostomy pouch (“ballooning”)
- Dealing with Blockages
- Having Fun at an Amusement Park With an Ostomy (with video)
- Stoma Guard reviews
- How much soy is too much? (Nutritionfacts.org)
- Perceptions of flatulence from bean consumption among adults in 3 feeding studies (PDF)
- Beneficial effect of iron pot cooking on iron status. Kulkarni SA, Ekbote VH, Sonawane A, Jeyakumar A, Chiplonkar SA, Khadilkar AV. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 Dec;80(12):985-9. doi: 10.1007/s12098-013-1066-z. PMID: 23868537
- Higher bioaccessibility of iron and zinc from food grains in the presence of garlic and onion. Gautam S, Platel K, Srinivasan K. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Jul 28;58(14):8426-9. doi: 10.1021/jf100716t. PMID: 20597543
- USDA’s Interactive DRI for Healthcare Professionals (to calculate protein requirements)
- USDA’s “What we eat in America, NHANES 2001-2002: Usual Nutrient Intakes from Food Compared to Dietary Reference Intakes” (PDF)
- Sharma S, Sharma RK, Parashar A. Comparison of the nutritional status and outcome in thermal burn patients receiving vegetarian and non-vegetarian diets. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery : Official Publication of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India. 2014;47(2):236-241. doi:10.4103/0970-0358.138959.
- Production Conditions Affect the In Vitro Anti-Tumoral Effects of a High Concentration Multi-Strain Probiotic Preparation. Cinque B, La Torre C, Lombardi F, Palumbo P, Van der Rest M, Cifone MG. PLoS One. 2016 Sep 22;11(9):e0163216. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0163216. PMID: 27657913