In this video, we explore audience questions about ostomy reversal surgery, intimacy after surgery, and more!
This video is a continuation of a presentation I gave during the Power of You Ostomy Education Seminar in Regina, Saskatchewan on May 5th, 2018. If you’re interested in viewing Part 1 (my presentation), you can check it out here.
I hope you enjoy the video!
Some of the topics and questions that me, Sheryl Walker (a stoma nurse) and Dr. Ryan Suri (General Surgeon) cover include:
- What do you wish you knew before surgery that you didn’t know until after surgery?
- Thoughts on reversal surgery.
- Sex and intimacy following ostomy surgery.
- Possible surgical complications affecting sexual function.
- Benefits of keeping an ostomy over a reconnection (internal pouch).
- How does our body adjust to losing a colon?
- If you were given the opportunity, would you have a reversal?
- Should we encourage patients to have a reversal?
- Risks of ostomy reversal surgery.
- Has public perception about ostomies changed? What else needs to be done?