Clear all

Revision of Stoma prolapse - parastomal hernia

6 Posts
5 Users
7 Likes
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Had my second Parastomal hernia revision yesterday December 6. Had one December last year, and for some reason, even my surgeon can not understand, it pulled back out even worst then last year. It might be my job that caused it, even I would not lift (per Doctors instructions) any thing heavier then 15 to 20 LB, was wearing a hernia belt which just caused the pouch to separate from the wafer while at work. My Doctor blames it on weak abdominal muscles, and at the age of 67, I can see how this would happen, but if I do any exercise, I would probably have another surgery next year, being I have no access to a pool,  and can not walk too well due to sciatica on left leg.  If anyone has any idea what can be done, I am all open to suggestions, as I am not going to just give up.

Thank you for any ideas

Dan

VeganOstomy and Dona reacted
(@john68)

Hi Danbh, I have heard of some ostomates doing Pilates to strength muscles. As always best to consult medical advice before trying 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy and Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/general-ostomy/hernia-surgery/

Hi... here is a link to a longer discussion of hernias and the repair of them. There are different kinds of hernias and different techniques for fixing them.

You may already know this stuff, but just in case, give this a read. There also some embedded links in some of the posts for other hernia discussions.

At the very least you might want to bring some of these issues up with your doctors.

I haven't had any reoccurrence since my repair, but mine experience and type might well be different than you are experiencing. I am 71 and got the repair when I was 70.

Anyway, good luck in getting this sorted.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Hi Dona & John68,

Thank you for your replies, I don't know what method did my Sergent use this time to fix the prolapse, but it is different then the last one. Last year my Stoma was swollen and enlarged after the surgery, and it took a while before it went down (just for about 9 months, then started coming out again). This time the Stoma is very small, it has only been 24 hours since the surgery, so that can change, I pulled the pouch open just a bit to make sure the color is still pink, but closed it right away afraid to pull on the wafer, and open the sutures under there.    I read the link you sent me Dona, and I can ask the Sergent when I see her next week, being more knowledgeable about what I talk to her, I thank you for this link.

Thank you both, and I hope for the best

Dan

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Dan, you'll definitely want to make sure that your surgeon and stoma nurse have given you the ok to start any exercises. 

I have also heard many having success with yoga and pilates, so look into those. 

The most important point (and you've acknowledged this already) is to be gentle and take your time with things. Continue to wear your hernia belts. 

One thing you may also want to be mindful of is when you get up from laying down, don't sit up but roll yourself out of bed. Sitting up can put a lot of unwanted strain on your abdomen and you don't want that happening this soon. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hey Dan, During my year hospital stay, I was able to do muscle isolation exercises from head to toe. I did them very lightly at first, and when the Doc said I could in the surgical area, I added that to my list. It did not make me fit for competition, but it did get extra blood flow to those muscles that were becoming lazy. I had had several operations in a 6 month period, so I felt really useless. You tighten one set of muscles at a time then slowly let it relax. If your not sure if you making it happen it helps to place  your hand to the area you are tightening it also helps the brain concentrate on that area also. Do them laying down and I always started from head to toe. I became the way to relax for me too. I can do forty counter push ups three times a day now when I could barely do one at first. All the surgery made my tummy muscles especially very weak, and to top it off they could never sew them back together, down the center, so, I have a four inch wide area that has no muscle coverage down the center of my abdomen. That was due to a long recovery from peritonitis. One long hernia in my mind! But, all in all, because of the isolation exercises, I have stronger muscles then I thought I would have. I still do them ten years late and I feel healthier then I am in this state of malnourishment from malabsorption. Ask Your doctor or physiotherapist when you can  get started in the surgical area. Good luck with this, I know it can be frustrating when you feel tied down and away from normal life activities, but you will get through it. Best wishes and good health.

Linda

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote