Clear all

Question about injection port

11 Posts
6 Users
21 Likes
 lg
(@grw)
Topic starter  

Didn't know where else to ask so I'll put this here. I am at three years post chemo now and have been blessed so far. I have and injection port that was installed beneath my collarbone. At my last visit my oncologist offered to set me up to have it removed. The only maintenance required is a short visit to the doc to have it flushed 3-4x/year. I'm a little superstitious I guess in thinking that if removed my cancer may return and I would need it again. Anyone else have thoughts or experiences with a similar situation?

LLNorth and LK reacted
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Oh, this is not easy, is it? I am a year and a half post chemo and have been doing well, also. It is rather nerve-wracking; I think I know how you feel - I have had some little things in my head, like at first outlasting this bottle of hair-detangler that I got from my daughter for my birthday; and now making it past my granddaughter’s graduation from college (she is a brand new freshman) - it gives me something to concentrate on. Like you I don’t want to hinky anything. When your oncologist offered to get your port removed was he advising it, would be my first question. If the answer is yes (and you could ask again at your next appointment, or call the office) then you could think a little more about it. If removal is just an option and it’s not hurting anything I am sure the doctor will tell you. 

An aside - Really hated my port, and it got so irritated that I got it removed before finishing chemo and did the rest by pill.

All best wishes to you! LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 lg
(@grw)
Topic starter  

@llholiday

Thanks LL. Congrats on your progress. Port causing no issues at all. Doc just threw it out as I was leaving my last visit. At my next flush I will seek out more info. Heres to you watching granddaughter graduate from a Masters or Doctorate too !!!

LLNorth and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Big events In life usually mean progression.  Progression is not always good, but I would think no longer needing a port would be a good progression. 

Maybe think of an activity to replace the port with when and if it comes to that.  Take a ceremonious walk every day. Take pictures of seasonal changes. Celebrate with a virtual safe party your freedom from the port & its cautious regards. Try seeing it as something to celebrate...I know I sure would if i had to have a port & was told it could come out.

Good luck and all the best to your health ...all of you fighting the beastly Cancer and IBD wickedness requiring ports. 

Linda

LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

superstition is fine for entertainment, but it sounds more like the pic is a constant reminder for you which  is not health.

by 3 yrs I was as far from cancer that I could get- mentally.  

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

@dogtalkerer

The mind and improving your lifestyle is good for your health even medical science agrees it, just can't prove how (scientifically)!

If as you say superstition works for LK I support Linda with that for her.

Please be a little more respectful and acknowledge a persons spiritual beliefs that may differ from your own.

What works for you might not work for someone else and vice versa.

Lets be kind to one another

Chris 

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK, VeganOstomy and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@chrisandbagpus I don't believe that @dogtalkerer was trying to be rude, and I can understand that if a superstition is causing mental anguish or holding someone emotionally captive, then it doesn't serve them well.  

I'd rather not get into a debate over belief systems, but I think it would always be worth the time to examine whether our fears, superstitions, and anxieties are worth holding onto. Especially if they are a reminder of a more negative time in our lives. 

I'm not superstitions, buy my wife is, and sometimes her superstitions do hold her back. I wouldn't want anyone to be held back, so I trust that letting go can be an option if needed. ? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and ChrisandBagpus reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Superstitions - I don’t think that is quite the right word here, though I will concede that Dogtalkerer is trying and has kind intentions.  

We colorectal cancer patients wonder what might have caused our disease, and at what point - was it that time I got knocked on my butt years ago, could that have jarred and mutated a cell? Was it a prolonged manner of sitting in my chair at work, leaning on the left arm for years and years? What was going on, for any of us, that split second this began? Something so innocent as a food, or the sharpness of a broken seed that cut a tiny piece of insides on the way through our bodies, leaving a vulnerability that we of course would not have been aware of?

What might cause the cancer to reoccur - something like the above paragraph, perhaps, or any of millions of other things. How to avoid this? We are all doing the best we can - Dogtalkerer’s endeavors include vigorous exercise and various things he has mentioned in his lifestyle. That is valid and even admirable, though personally I cannot imagine myself in a wetsuit with my bag potentially taking on the shape of cantaloupe - but that is me. 

LG, what do I do? Well, I have stayed busy. I have sewn cloth masks and given many away, kept working at my job. I have read many books and kept writing (I am an author), tried to stay optimistic and follow medical advice and orders. In the back of my mind, and on top of everyday things like the annoyances of a leaking roof or a broken dishwasher I worry. This is also valid. As are your thoughts and concerns about your port. I understand you.  LL

PS I hope that your stoma is behaving! Mine is all right, doing well, and so far so good.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

I don't mean to take the thread topic over, a final thought.

LLnorth is correct  LK is doing positive actions for herself, there is no superstition in that.

The original poster was feel a little anxious and voiced it. 

What Linda has said is a well established practice called "Mindfulness, positive visualisation" and other terms and is commonalty used in psychotherapy

Were are all here to help one another, that's what brought us all here.

Lg I hope you find your way but surely having the port removed is a step in the right direction.

Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
 lg
(@grw)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the support!

ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

bagpus, it's called tough love. tough love gets things done, apathy promotes mediocrity, stagnation  I stand by what I said.

ReplyQuote