Clear all

Saunas and ostomies

8 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi all, is there anyone it there that has used a sauna or hot tub? Is it a safe thing to do?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

Stella

LK reacted
Bill Bell
(@bago)

I have used a sauna quite a few times before the Covid-19 lockdown.  The water temperature was 104 degrees F.   I didn't have any problems with the wafer not sticking or coming loose.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

@bago

Thanks, Bill for your reply. My husband and I have an opportunity to use a sauna at one of my husband's customers home. in fact, my husband remodeled their small horse barn and put in a sauna. It's quite impressive! I've been wanting to try it out, but have been hesitant. This may give me the courage I need to try it out. 

I have also checked out some web sites and blogs by ostomates to see if anyone had any experience with hot tubs and saunas. One woman from the UK did and gave some good tips. I wish I could remember the blog though.

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

Posted by: @sjlovestosing

Hi all, is there anyone it there that has used a sauna or hot tub? Is it a safe thing to do?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

Stella

Stella 

I think you should have no worries.

Covid is quickly deactivated by heat and water.

Stoma's we keep being told are quite stout by the medics

I have been in a sauna where stones from a fire was placed in the sauna, unfortunately they were the wrong type of stones and started to shatter from the heat, certainly empties the sauna quickly. However I'm sure the sauna your on about is better engineered otherwise sack your hubby :lol: 

If I was at this difficult time offered the opportunity of a sauna you wouldn't see me for dust gal :lol: 

Enjoy your sauna 

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK and sjlovestosing reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @sjlovestosing

I haven't, but the only real "risk" is to your appliance. Does your wafer peel easily when you have a hot shower? If so, you may want to use a wafer extender in the hot tub. 

But other than that, the heat won't hurt your stoma, provided you aren't putting it right up to the jets! LOL

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy and @chrisandbagpus,

Thanks for your reassuring replies and the chuckles they gave me.
Stella

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@sjlovestosing...hi Stella... yup, I have been in a hot tub several times over the years . I was afraid my pouch may come loose in the water but that never happened. I did a few things to help avoid any issues just incase it  did come loose or off. The night before, I changed to a brand new shiney pouch.  I used the C shaped tapes and put a second round of them on using 3 to meet the wider circumference of the tapes being out further from the pouch area... I  hope that made sense! lol! This made me feel confident that I had a good seal to my skin. I do not eat after dinner the day before, but I Keep up fluids and the day of,  I avoided food too as I  worried about the tighter fit of a ladies swimsuits meeting my pouch with or without output in it.  My hostes knew I had an ostomy, so I told  her what I wa doing to help assure no issues and to prevent her in her kindness from possibly worrying about an issue as well.  This also put me at ease  in changing after getting out, I was aware from my long hot baths that the C shaped tapes swell some & soften so I knew I would be changing my pouch afterwards.  I have found having had to suddenly change a pouch at someone's home that does not know I have an ostomy,  they worried why I was longer in the washroom and knocked a few times to check on me... ofcourse, then it was an active busy change. It made me glad I carried my own roll of toilet paper in my emergency bag! I found these steps  helped ease any anxiety I had plus, it helped the hostess know I was going in with a clean start and one that would remain empty till after eating again later when out of the hot tub. I kept my towels close to the tub also incase I needed to grab it quickly on getting out. 

All in all it was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the lovely hot water &  massage caused by the power of those  beautiful jets!! I hope you enjoy your time as much as I do in the hot tub when I'm at the cabin! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck

Thank you, Linda. I have also considered using extra precautions (eg. C-shaped tape ) to prevent my appliance from slip sliding away!

God bless,

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote