Clear all

It's been 7 years =)  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 21, 2020 1:45 pm  

I posted this on Facebook, but it deserves a spot here:

Today marks my 7th "Stomaversary". I still amazes me that I get to have an ostomy. I will forever be grateful to my surgeon, GI doctor, all the nurses, and the other ostomates who shaped my experience.

Advocacy over the years has changed, and with change I've seen a lot of good things and quite a few bad things along the way.

New advocates are sharing their experience and a greater number of people are being reached now more than ever.

If you've missed me on social media, I truly am sorry. Social media in 2020 is very different from social media in 2013. The amount of negativity; bad information; people looking to take advantage of others; political wars; hate speech; the misuse and abuse of private and personal data; the engineering of addictive behaviors; the noise it generates... I have my reasons for avoiding it, but that does not mean that I've stopped helping others.

My website, forum, and YouTube videos have been viewed and accessed more now than ever and my inbox has a constant stream of people giving praise, asking questions, and looking for support.

While my situation and schedule has changed over the last few years, I feel honored that I'm still able to contribute something positive into this world.

Each and every one of you has been a part of my journey, and each and every one of you has the power to make someone's life better.

Thank you for the last seven years. Here's to seven more :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Lynne, SqueakyandLiza, john68 and 1 people liked
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
August 21, 2020 2:05 pm  

Thank you, Eric, and best wishes on your anniversary! You have done such good work that has helped and meant so much to us. Will you and your stoma be having a nice celebratory dinner? 

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 21, 2020 2:22 pm  

Best wishes Eric and many more years. A job well done and a pleasure to be part of this forum.👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
August 21, 2020 4:58 pm  

You have done a huge service to the entire ostomy community. as a whole and on an individual level for so many of us. Thanks .

As I person who has never done social media ( I always forget to add 'LIKES' to threads) , I feel so Lucky to have found the VO community and appreciate your steady hand at the wheel ( wafer, maybe?).

Keep on keeping on!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 21, 2020 5:45 pm  

Happy Stomaversary Eric!!

We are all so fortunate to have found your website. I feel that it is safe to say you have changed all our stoma experiences for the better! Thank you so much for all you do!!

And here is a reminder to everyone, please use Eric’s link when buying on Amazon so he can receive a small percentage of purchases. The links are under his support me tab. He also takes cash donations, though we all know he would never ask. I encourage anyone who is able, to remember Vegan Ostomy when considering charitable donations. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
Lynne
(@lynne)
Registered
August 21, 2020 7:44 pm  

Eric thank you so much for all that you do!! I feel so lucky to have found you/your site.  You've been a very positive light in my life. 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
August 22, 2020 5:20 am  

I can express or even possibly explain how much finding the forum and Eric has helped my, without I'm sure I would be in a much poorer state. My stoma nurse now asks me what I need she knows how well I understand my need and supplies -Thanks to this amazing site!!

Eric I know what you mean by the social media is no longer what it intended its for example far removed from the days of bulletin boards which had community spirit. 

I think the reason the forum works better is a poster has to put some effort into their post and the lack of predictive text (Poor spelling and grammar) they as have to put thought and share their experience.

If I was  in Canada I would vote Eric for Canada's next PM :lol: 

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 25, 2020 2:59 pm  

Thank you so much, guys. I really appreciate all the support you have shown and the respect you give each other on the forums. 

@squeakyandliza Thank you for mentioning the Amazon link. Without putting ads on the site (something I hope I'll never be forced to do!) or taking money for sponsored content, the small amount that comes from Amazon (and donations, and YouTube!) does go a long way! I've probably never mentioned this, as it's part of the backend (no pun intended) to running the website, but the software and plugins I use (i.e. for the forum) are pretty much all activated on a per-year license, so I have to renew each one on a yearly basis. The VO community is what keeps the site going strong, so thank you all! 

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 26, 2020 10:04 am  

Eric...A very happy stomaversary to you! For me, the seven year mark verses ten kind of thing, has always been a typical big anniversary! I'm pretty sure you know how very grateful I am for You and this site & without it, I'm sure a lot of us would still be flailing in deep water. So, I'll take the opportunity to thank You imnensely for all your hard work and for creating such a refuge for so many! May your health in years to come become continually better with each passing year & may you accomplish your goals for VO!
Your Truly The Best!
Linda & Rose

Linda

ReplyQuote
rosepritchard
(@rosepritchard)
Registered
August 27, 2020 5:01 pm  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric

Just a thought. You've mentioned the Amazon link. At present this is for the USA and Canada - is it possible for you to add the UK as well so that we can participate from this side of the pond? 

Thanks!

Rose

Rose
ileostomy December 2019

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 27, 2020 5:11 pm  
Posted by: @rosepritchard

is it possible for you to add the UK as well so that we can participate from this side of the pond? 

I don't think I've posted a UK link, but if you bookmark and use this one, it will work in the UK: https://amzn.to/34DvYv1

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 27, 2020 6:36 pm  

Hi Eric, The way my Wife does it is click on the “Support me” tab at the top of the VO home page. Then scroll down until you see the Amazon symbol and underneath choose to click USA or Canada or Uk. Just to add there are members across Europe so is there away to include 😀

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote