Community Forums

Does anyone else ha...

Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone else have an "innie" stoma? How do you deal with it?

Alida
(@alida)
Registered
Topic starter  

My nurse has me set up with convex flanges and a belt to hold it tight to my body, but my stoma refuses to peak its little head out.  I just started using a type of ring instead of paste, and she said that would help.  I have a lot of skin irritation because my output hangs out in my flange area.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

With Squiggy since 3/31/21

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Oh Alida,

This has been the story of my ostomy. I have had so many skin problems and leaks as a result. I wish I had an answer for you. I have mediocre results using Sensura Mio deep convex 2 piece click. I have used both paste and rings. In the beginning I had better results with paste, but I have been making more of an effort to use rings and now have equal success between paste and rings. The rings are easier to remove so I’ve mostly been using them. As far as keeping the output off your skin, I’m at a loss. But if you figure it out, please let me know. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

VeganOstomy, Tigerlily, LK and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@squeakyandliza...Liza, have you tried using a Stoma Color??  I wonder if that would work for any of you at all?? 

Eric may have an answer or knowledge of their purpose 🤔?? Eric? This inquiring mind wants to know? lol! 

Linda

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

I have a  flush ostomy, so have the same problems you are having. Here;'s what worked for me:

First off, I use a quality barrier wipe to prevent skin irritation. ( 3M Cavilon #3344 No Sting Barrier Film Wipes) Second, I am very careful to cut my wafer the the exact dimensions of my stoma so I don't have any skin exposed. Third, convex wafers help a lot, and fourth, when sleeping, I do so on my side so any output during the night falls into the bag rather than pancaking around my stoma. (my output is a medium viscosity, kind of like mustard)

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Alida
(@alida)
Registered
Topic starter  

@goatherder My WOC nurse is having me wear a belt with everything else.  But this is weird: my stoma was sticking out a little yesterday when I changed my junk.  I wonder if it will stay out?

With Squiggy since 3/31/21

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Well I have an innie, outy and all abouty!! 

Basically it changes though out the day I tried convex and deep convex but as I also have a uneven stoma I have reverted to a flat wafer. (They hurts and tended to rotate the wafer off causing early leaks) I struggle with pancaking and the wafer ungluing inside the click ring. I'm experimenting with flushing around the stoma with a squirt bottle to flush the output that ends up on the skin, results so far are promising around 3 to 4 days wear.

Paste, rings and stick all melt and seem to offer no benefit to me, what Eric says has some truth about not using to many products

My stoma nurses have no suggestions to offer anymore, I think they are stumped!

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@chrisandbagpus I also have trouble with pancaking, and have tried just about everything. Here is what works for me: instead of hoping my stool falls down into my pouch, I actually open my appliance from the top, and, using toilet paper, remove the stool as it collects around my stoma. I wear a 2 piece Coloplast Sensura Mio with a sticky attachment system, not a click system. The pouch can actually be peeled back from the flange many times, contrary to what I was told when my ostomy was new. My stool is generally formed, but I find this method still works when it isn’t, although it definitely is messier. If stool has leaked under the flange, I use wet Qtips cut in half to clean under the flange. I’m not saying that this method is for everyone, but after a lot of trial and error, this is what works best for me.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

@squeakyandliza...Liza, have you tried using a Stoma Color??  I wonder if that would work for any of you at all?? 

Eric may have an answer or knowledge of their purpose 🤔?? Eric? This inquiring mind wants to know? lol! 

Stoma Collars are definitely not going to work with innies or flush stomas. They need to "turtleneck" around the stoma to be effective. 

If various convex wafers aren't helping and it was me, I would likely inquire with my surgeon about revising the stoma. Products can only help up to a certain point, but having a proper starting point is important. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

GoatHerder, john68 and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@veganostomy...Thank you Eric. I have often wondered why some stomas are flush.  Mine is always out at least 1 to 2 inches occasionally more.  It has caused very little skin problems & when they do occur  its most always because I ignored warning signs of a possible leak or it happened when sleeping.  

I wonder if some surgeons form them flush on purpose or lack of ....... ????  Its just I'm very aware those with very short, flush or innies, have many issues and skin problems.  Let's be honest, unless you need more surgery we don't usually see the surgeon for leak issues. So I think they would have little clue of skin issues.

Mine sticks out a  fair bit & I don't mind the little bump under my clothing.  Not once  in 12  years has anyone asked about it.  I'd rather have that then the issues several have . I think your right....I would be seeking a better result.   Mainly because it does affect one's "quality of life".    

Linda

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

@tigerlily

Hi that's why I stick with the two piece. I can, using a cotton bud clean around the stoma.

I also find it helps to release the gasses that build up behind the pancake, lets say bagpus generally burps afterwards ;-).

Eric

In the current covid era the surgeons are less than enthusiastic to consider doing revisions! Here in the UK they now have 4.7 million delayed procedure's the lists and heartache stories are growing every day.

Anything we can share to help one another might be the best on offer for now?

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

In the current covid era the surgeons are less than enthusiastic to consider doing revisions! Here in the UK they now have 4.7 million delayed procedure's the lists and heartache stories are growing every day.

No doubt that the pandemic has severely limited surgical options, but for long-term QOL, this would be something I'd personally consider if the leaks are related to the formation of the stoma and can't be remedied by other means. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
ReplyQuote