[Closed] Back to work update  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 2, 2019 3:54 pm  

@dogtalkerer...I'm curious, what's  your point and to whom are you addressing? How long have you, dogtalkerer had your ostomy?  Was it by way of disease, accident or perforation?

Linda

Dona, john68, Tony and 1 people liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 2, 2019 4:05 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

are you new to accounting? I've been doing what I do for 20 yrs.  I'm my worst critic.  if I was not doing my best for a long period and got a promotion, I'd be offended.  do you feel you are doing work that deserves promotion?  do others count on you at work?

I have been an accountant since 2012, after a career shift from financial counseling. I worked for an accounting firm for three years and have been at my current job for 4 years.  I always do my best work and had several reports that my group struggled significantly while I was out on disability for 6 months. They definitely count on me. It is a frustrating set of facts. My former director had budgeted for this promotion in 2017, but he left after our spin-off and the new management team had other priorities. Just before I went out in June of 2018, my boss told me that his boss (my director) didn't realize I was still at the lower level and they were going to start paperwork to get me bumped up. Then a week and a half later I almost died and it has seriously taken me most of the last year to get healthy. I still have a huge hole in my belly. But as soon as I was able (after 6 months) I started working from home and after almost 6 months of that came back to work in the office. First I was told the promotion couldn't go thru while I was on disability. That made sense. Then when I started working again, they said the promotion couldn't happen until I was back in the office. Then just before coming back, I had my annual review. I did all my basic functions of my job, but many of my goals would have involved going to a different state and I was saddled with a wound pump and home health care, so that wasn't an option. It was not meeting these stretching goals that caused the negative review, which is now the excuse they are using to not give me the promotion I was promised a year ago. 

To answer your question, I absolutely feel I deserve this promotion. I have become a licensed CPA and done my job, as well as cleaning up the mess that other people made of my job during my unplanned absence. 

As far as the disability issue, you do what you feel comfortable with and I will do the same. If I feel like I need accommodations because of my ileostomy, I will ask for them. 

To everyone else, sorry this was so long and if my tone seemed defensive. Happy Friday! 

-Liza
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Dona, john68, LK and 2 people liked
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
August 2, 2019 7:12 pm  

Liza, your defensive tone is hardly surprising. I am sure others would agree.                

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

Dona, john68, LK and 1 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 2, 2019 9:19 pm  

@dogtalkerer

I'm glad Liza was able to reply before I did, but I don't think that type of comment helps in a constructive way.

What I read is that she has been more than qualified for a promotion, but the company used her surgery against her, which I feel is unjust.

Let's all try to be supportive of our fellow members, please. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona, Tony, john68 and 2 people liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 2, 2019 10:05 pm  

@veganostomy

Thanks, Eric!!

-Liza

Dona, LK and VeganOstomy liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 3, 2019 8:58 am  

This forum is a place to learn, share thoughts and tips to offer support and I count the folks here as Friends 👫. Unhelpful comments have no part to play 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona, SqueakyandLiza, Tony and 1 people liked
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
August 3, 2019 9:39 am  

Oh Liza, 

You have every reason to be upset! I certainly would if I were in your place. You deserve better treatment than this from your bosses. Hang in there and take care and don't let unthoughtful comments ruin your weekend (and beyond!)

Stella

LK, Dona, Tony and 1 people liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 3, 2019 9:59 am  

Thanks John and Stella, 

I so appreciate the support I have received here. It would have been easy to ignore the comment and then be more hesitant to post in the future, but I am so glad I didn't do that. You are all making me a stronger person!!  

-Liza

LK, Dona and Tony liked
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
August 3, 2019 10:58 am  

Liza, I too would like to offer my support. 

You were qualified and past due for this promotion. It seems that to deny you now, after your illness and disability, is discriminatory.   To have them blame corporate reorganization, just adds to it. 

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 3, 2019 11:46 am  

@dona

Thanks, Dona!!

-Liza

LK liked
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 3, 2019 2:35 pm  

it seems when head office wants to make changes they can do and say whatever they wish. When I worked in a mortgage dept. I was let go because I was "smoking" on the job. The gal working close to my desk used it for her ash tray stand even after repeated requests not, I had asthma. I was never believed when I told them I did not  smoke. A few months later she was let go due to her chain smoking. I was invited back, at the same wage, butt why would I go back? Office politics can be harsh and sometimes stupidity can run wild. I discovered I loved working in the food industry, and it rarely treated me badly...well  until gut issues became more wild! The way I see it, you hold all the cards. We are each in control of our lives, most medical issues aside, how you play the game is your choice. Your managing these curve balls (TQ Tony) just fine Liza, keep it up. Everything will fall into its rightful place. 

Linda

dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
August 5, 2019 4:24 pm  

I agree people who need help should get help.    my ideas on work ethic are not related to my stoma nor should they be. 

its one thing to require and receive special  bathroom accommodations.  but to call ME disabled is unacceptable to me. to get special treatment from people because of my stoma I do NOT want.

I disagree that your stoma is the sole reason for not having the pay raise.  If you guys can't accept differences in opinions,  then is this not a true forum, but more of a agree with us only,  good ol boys club, you can have that.

where I come from , the larger the work load you can handle, the better your pay is.  I'm not into pity parties and I leave my emotions off the internet where they should be.  

john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 5, 2019 4:58 pm  

This forum is a place where a lot of topics have been discussed and disagreed on, that is healthy debate, I am a very active ostomate and work long hours running my own company. There are  times I have had to rely on help from others because of certain issues, I think the point you are missing is the post you made and this one is an attack on a new member and ostomate. And it’s out of keeping with the ethics of the site, Eric if I am out of line here I will not mind you removing my post 

Dona, Tony, LK and 1 people liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 5, 2019 5:14 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

I disagree that your stoma is the sole reason for not having the pay raise.  If you guys can't accept differences in opinions,  then is this not a true forum, but more of a agree with us only,  good ol boys club, you can have that.

The stoma wasn't the reason, it was not being able to fulfill goals that I set before i had my unplanned emergency surgery, which involved traveling to another state. I had a wound pump and was on home health care, and was restricted from leaving the city I live in. I still partially achieved the goal to the best of my ability with phone and online discussions, but still got marked down as not achieving it. 

I think we can all accept difference of opinion. I accept you do not want to be considered disabled because of your stoma. Neither do I, though if I need special accommodations for dealing with it, I will ask for them. 

As far as me not getting a raise or a promotion, I think your opinion is uninformed and irrelevant, and I feel like you are attacking me personally. 

-Liza

LK, Dona, Tony and 1 people liked
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
August 5, 2019 5:41 pm  

So, i guess I'm confused here? you are saying that the last performance review was incorrect and your performance is as good or better than 1  1/2 yrs ago?  

john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 5, 2019 5:45 pm  

Dogtalker, I think this has already been answered 

Dona, LK, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 5, 2019 6:00 pm  

@dogtalkerer

My performance was as good as it was when I was promised  the promotion a year ago. Meeting all the new goals would have improved on that performance from a year ago and would have merited another raise this year. I understand, though wouldn't be happy about not getting a raise this year, but them using my short term disability leave to refuse me the promotion I already earned is what I have the issue with. 

Why is this such a big deal to you?  Obviously you don't think I deserve the raise or the promotion and have made that abundantly clear. Unless you are planning on offering me a job, my performance should not be this important to you. 

-Liza

Dona, LK, john68 and 1 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 5, 2019 7:46 pm  

Ok, so this got a little out of hand. This thread is locked.

Can we please collectively try to be supportive here? This is not a debate forum or Reddit, so I'd appreciate it if all just got along. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, john68, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people liked
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Please Login or Register