Clear all

Proctolectomy Diary

35 Posts
10 Users
32 Likes
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  

At the request of one of the members here, I'm going to log my experiences, for those who may have to have this done.

The prep hasn't been an issue, only a liquid diet the day before, and an enema two hours before arriving.  I'm registered, and checked in at the hospital, just waiting to be called back to get started.  I'll talk to you all on the other side of this.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy, LK, Dona and 1 people reacted
(@john68)

Hi Sasquatch, so yer on yer way. The very best and God speed. ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy, Valerie, LK and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Good luck , and my best wishes for an easy and swift recovery.

Thanks for posting your experiences here.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Sasquatch,

Wishing you all the best and praying for a swift recovery!

God bless!

Stella

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Sasquatch...your in my prayers also. I am sure you will heal well. I hope this makes the difference you would like.

Linda

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)

I hope all is well and you're not too sore today.  

Raine

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Sending my best regards! Hope it's as easy as easy gets! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  

The surgery ended up being about 3 hours.  I was in my room and semi-coherent by mid afternoon.  I spent about 12 hours, only able to have ice chip,  at that point I was put on a full liquid diet, hopefully progressing further tomorrow.  I have started to have some output again, and I expect to lose the catheter tomorrow.  I'm not going to lie, it's been more painful than the subtotal colectomy, but so far it's been bearable.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uctoostomy)

Hey Sasq! Glad your surgery was a success and your on the road to recovery.  This is a surgery that is written in my future, so I look forward to your posts and honesty.  I hope this reaches you well and your back on your feet walking your pup soon.  Take care! 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

It must be a relief that it is DONE!  Now you can just concentrate of recovery. All the best to you.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Thanks for the update! I hope that pain settles soon. 

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Sasquatch, this is probably the hardest part the first days post op. Best wishes ?

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  

This morning was rough, the gas pain from the surgery had reared it's head.  Some time spent walking, albeit slowly, helped to dissipate that.  And the increase in pain meds made things more tolerable by mid day.  After a shower, and re-dressing my rear end, I felt much better.  The catheter was also removed today with no apparent problems.  My diet was advanced yet again, and getting some food a little closer to normal was fantastic.  I am expecting to be discharged tomorrow, as long as everything stays the course.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
4Jackles
(@4jackles)

I knew you could kick this surgeries 'ass'!!!! You're doing awesome and recovering so great! Keep it going and just keep walking that gas right out of Deuce!  :-P 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@madrikh52)

Thanks for the update Sasquatch. I was sending you thoughts and prayers today while on my walk. 

This surgery is also in my future, so I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your experience !

Best, Marci

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Sasquatch

This morning was rough, the gas pain from the surgery had reared it's head. 

Gas pains are annoying! I feel for you, but they will go away!

Glad to hear that other areas are progressing well and that you're moving around - all good things to see happening :)

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I hope you are feeling better today and looking forward to going home soon.

Sending you good wishes.

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  

I had minor setbacks today, but they were ones that are pretty common.  My bladder is not emptying completely on it own.  We decided the best course of action is to keep me in here for one more day, monitor it, and see if it resolves it's self.  If it doesn't, they will re connect the folley catheter, and send me home with it tomorrow, and have me come for an office visit for removal.  I think it will resolve.  I did get a nice complement from my surgeon today, he says in the surgical world, I'm what he calls a "TANK" .  I respond rapidly to recovery, and have an amazing tolerance for pain.  The next post should come from my recliner!

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Good lad Sasquatch home is a step closer and yer four legged friend will be missing ye

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Good to be a tank! Better to be a tank at home in the lounge chair with the pup.

( and edible food).

One of my hospital 'stays' I wanted a tee shirt that said....COME for the surgery, STAY for the food! ... of course it was inedible..... 

Be well.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2