Incisional hernia q...

Incisional hernia questions  

RSS

lg
 lg
(@grw)
Registered
January 15, 2019 10:40 pm  

I am 1 year post chemo, had my temporary colostomy reversed at the time of my colorectal tumor removal about 18 months ago. At that time I had my bladder removed so woke up with and ileostomy and urostomy. Eight months ago had the ileostomy reversed, starting to get better control of bowel movements, still have some challenging days, but not complaining since I have seen much worse situation in others encountered on my treatments. I guess with all of the open abdominal surgeries and chemo my midline incision developed a hernia. It is near my urostomy and involves some small bowel. I am not anxious for another surgery, but am wary of adhesions, incarcerations, or strangulation. Being near my urostomy site may make my already creased abdomen hard to fit the bags. Anyone have experience with repair or just living with the hernia as is? My GI cancer surgeon will check at my next CT ( all have been good so far, yes I am blessed !!) but he would not be the one to repair. Sorry for the lengthy post. Any input welcomed!

LK and VeganOstomy liked
lg
 lg
(@grw)
Registered
January 15, 2019 10:51 pm  

Not sure if I posted this in the wrong area, if so, pardon my ignorance.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 16, 2019 12:56 am  

GRW...welcome! That was not a lengthy post...believe me.  Sorry to hear what you have been through. I think anyone who has had their ostomy reversed are very brave. I dealt with some incontinence with my disease and it was dreadful for me. Hence the ileostomy. I love it. However, I have a tummy that developed the great divide and because of my year recovery from my illness and in hospital for a year, with six seven surgeries, I had no real exercise, so I developed an area where the bag had to made to fit the slouching areas. It can be done, and was made easier with the use of C- shaped Elastic Barrier Strips. I find that the creases only make it a bit hard at times and then that is based on my activity level.  All the best to you! Stay well.

Linda

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
January 19, 2019 5:05 pm  

Hi GRW,

Welcome to the forum. I have a illiostomy which did develop a hernia right next to my stoma.  It  was successfully repaired and I have had no repeats of 'great escape' since the surgery. My situation is different as I have no other scars or surgeries to deal with in that area.

That being said... many things are successfully repaired with surgery and I hope you keep talking to your doctors about it.

Good luck.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 20, 2019 1:35 pm  
Posted by: GRW

I guess with all of the open abdominal surgeries and chemo my midline incision developed a hernia. It is near my urostomy and involves some small bowel. 

Unfortunately, the risk of hernias exists for everyone - although, you are at higher risk when dealing with multiple surgeries. 

I've known many who have done the hernia repair procedure with much success, and some who have done it end up with another hernia. Your surgery would be the one who could best tell you your chances of a successful repair, but no repair is guaranteed 100%. 

My feeling is that if the hernia interferes with your daily life, then a repair should be given more thought. Even with the potential for risks or the chance of a hernia coming back, it may still be better than one's current situation. 

Best of luck, however you decide!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
lg
 lg
(@grw)
Registered
January 21, 2019 11:32 am  

Thanks Dona,

Glad to hear of you successful repair! If you don't mind me being nosey, did you have a laparoscopic or open repair?

LK liked
ReplyQuote
lg
 lg
(@grw)
Registered
January 21, 2019 11:33 am  

Eric,

Thanks for your support and wonderful website, has meant a lot to many!

GRW

LK, john68 and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
January 21, 2019 1:36 pm  

Hi GRW,

Not nosy at all... just information.

Yes.. my surgery was laparoscopic. The surgeon used the Sugarbaker method. It involves situating a hammock like mesh behind the abdominal wall which gives further support to the stoma. I posted a lot about it here on VO at the time. ( There are some topics here under hernia repair..if you can't find it and want to, I can help).

This may not be the type of surgery you require, but you might at least talk to your doctors about it. There are different kinds of hernia repairs.

Even with this laparoscopic surgery, I did end up with a fair number of small holes punched in me , they healed up well though. They kind of stitch the plastic hammock like material to you through the small punch holes.

It took some time for a complete recovery, but its been really stable since.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

P.S> Sugarbaker is the name of the doctor that invented this procedure... sounds like a cookie, I know!

Eric's site is a wonderful help to us all. ( thanks, Eric).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
January 31, 2019 12:13 am  

I to aam preparing for Hernia Surgery Feb. 21st . Do to Rectal Cancer surgery Nov. 2017 ,I walked out of the Hospital with small Hernia .. My Hernia has grown HUGE .Hurt to wear Belt eventually. I'm not worried or scared, my Surgeon went over procedure with me. Do to my Appendix rupturing in Oct . I had to wait longer for repair. It can come back. It's tight under, around my Stomach. I guess the Doctor is going in from my tight side across to the left to the Hernia and right by my Stomach. Sort of freaky but okay. Will let you know how it goes. I've been blessed. No blockages or any real problems since Nov. 2017 surgery. This site was so informative and I asked Eric a ton of questions .God Bless you all for being here for People like me. :)

VeganOstomy, LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 31, 2019 7:06 am  

Kirby, it sounds like the doctor is going to do a Laparoscopy to repair the hernia.  It this is it, they usually make three small incisions and recovery is  much easier. But, try and remember you still have to be just as careful.  Because the incisions are so much smaller, you do feel better quicker. It must have been hard being told you had to wait especially because of the appendectomy. I have had a few hernias repaired and always felt so much better right away after. One time though, I failed to take it as easy as the doctor required and ended up back in the hospital to repair what he had just done 6 days earlier. My kids were just little gaffers at the time and it was hard on my whole family having to go back into the hospital. So, lesson learned before all the huge stuff happened. Now, I obey better then I a told.  My kids had to climb up on the couch and then onto my knee. The silly thing that made me end up back in was folding small face cloths! Such a simple thing to do, but that big muscle that wraps around from our back to our front, did not like the actions, and went into spasm causing the hernia. Never happened again.

You will do well if you follow the rules. Get well soon and stay  healthy. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
January 31, 2019 7:43 am  

Thank you. . I look like I'm sideways pregnant thoughts hoe big it has become. It just started hurting a few weeks ago not bad, but I see Surgeon last week, so I guess I'm okay. It's hard for me to sit still. I had 3 different size Hernia belts and out grew them so I'm limited to what I do for now. I just have myself to take care of do rest should come easy, I hope. I don't want to go back in. :( .. Yes, it is Laproscopic. ...Thanks again for your reply. .

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 31, 2019 6:24 pm  

Kerby...It can be scary facing any kind of surgery. I would be upset too.  One thing I have learned to do is a fair is deep breathing when I feel like I want to get lost somewhere and every night after the lights are off. I place my hands palm side up and just take several long slow deep breaths.  It helps me get to sleep, and usually before I get to the 10th breath. If you can, make a few slightly bigger meals before your surgery and then freeze the left overs so all you have to do is heat them up on the days you are too tired to fix something else. I do this a fair bit as I am alone.  They come in very handy when I have a lazy day too. You will do okay when you have your surgery, they know so much more now then they ever have and they will take the best care of you! Do you have a friend that can come for tea before and after to check up on you and see if you need anything?  Maybe give them a call and see if they can drop in to see you when you feel better.  Try not to get too tired before surgery and have a plan for when for your first week back hoe...a good book to read, letters to writ, that sort of thing. All the best to you. Feel well and pain free soon. Breathe........

Linda

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
February 1, 2019 12:36 pm  

Hi, Good luck in your upcoming surgery. I does sound like laparoscopic which, as others have said, will be an easier and less painful recovery. It will be good to get past this and have the repair done. Good you haven't had blockages from it. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register