Proctolectomy Diary  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 30, 2018 3:36 am  

Hey Tank...aka Sasquatch...Congrats on the compliment! So glad you are feeling better and on your way down the hall to home! Make sure you drink a whole lot of fluids while you are recovering. Flush those drugs right out of your system. I have found so often that the third day after surgery is usually the hardest, especially for gas issues. Make sure your careful with your pup and surgical area(s).  I bet he went a bit crazy when you got home, or...did he ignore you like mine did the first couple of times? My dog goes nuts when I come home from being away for even an hour, but he is amazing good when I have to leave and while I am gone. I trained him for that with the help of Cesar. Do not push yourself too hard, you are doing great. I too appreciate you posting your recovery.  Wishing you all the best! Thank you Eric for making this possible.

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
November 30, 2018 8:07 am  

Hi Sasquatch (or should your new moniker be "Tank"?)

I'm glad to hear that you may be going home soon and reunited with your puppy. Don't be discouraged about having the Foley reinserted. When I had my surgery, there were some complications in the bladder area. I had to use the Foley for a while, but my urologist switched me to a user friendly catheter. She told me that one of the complications of rectal/anus removal is that the nerves to the bladder are close by the surgical site and either the nerves get stretched or unavoidably cut. She told me that healing would take place in about a year to a year and a half. Back in October she said I could stop using my catheter, which was huge for me. I still have healing to do, but I am no longer dependent on using it. 

Hoping and praying that your healing goes quickly!

Stella

ReplyQuote
madrikh52
(@madrikh52)
Registered
December 26, 2018 4:08 pm  

Has anyone heard from Sasquatch lately? I've been thinking of him and wondering how his recovery is progressing.

Marci

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 31, 2018 10:17 am  
Posted by: madrikh52

Has anyone heard from Sasquatch lately? I've been thinking of him and wondering how his recovery is progressing.

Marci

Nothing recently, but it can be busy around the holidays so he may be tied up.

@sasquatch, any updates to your recovery? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
January 2, 2019 11:20 am  

The Holidays were busy, all in all, I'm healing well.  Today is my first day back to work, my surgeon has released me without restrictions, but I'm going to try and take it somewhat easy this week and next.  I still have a little drainage from the rectal incision, but that is to be expected for a little while.  I have one other puncture incision, right under my belly button that is having some issues closing.  I'm having to trim my wafer away from it, I found trying to cover it with the wafer isn't doing it any favors.  The pain has been about what I expected, intense for a couple of weeks, but it's been bearable.  The bladder is now working properly, no lingering issues from it. 

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 2, 2019 11:26 am  

Thanks for the update! Sounds like overall things are moving in a positive direction. 

Use caution when trimming the wafer around that incision - I had to do the same, and ended up trimming a bit too much and the wafer failed. The more surface area you can maintain, the better! 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 2, 2019 11:32 am  

Hi Sasquatch, You have done so well, these up dates on your surgery and progress will help others facing the same. Happy New Year and keep healing well 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Sasquatch liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
January 2, 2019 1:39 pm  
Posted by: VeganOstomy

Thanks for the update! Sounds like overall things are moving in a positive direction. 

Use caution when trimming the wafer around that incision - I had to do the same, and ended up trimming a bit too much and the wafer failed. The more surface area you can maintain, the better! 

Yep, I found that out the hard way.  I'm trying to be as precise as possible, they didn't leave me a lot of space to work with.  I found I'm best off trying to put something over the incision to absorb the drainage, with out it, the wafer gets compromised quickly.  As soon as it starts to get skinned over well, I'll try to cover it with the wafer again.  It might take a while though, the wound isn't liking to stay closed.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
January 2, 2019 7:59 pm  

Hi Sasquatch! So good to hear that you are gaining each day. Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year! God bless.

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 3, 2019 9:59 am  
Posted by: Sasquatch

I found I'm best off trying to put something over the incision to absorb the drainage, with out it, the wafer gets compromised quickly.  

Good luck! your stoma/wound nurse might have some interesting ideas to try, but it shouldn't take too long for that to close up.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 4, 2019 7:53 pm  

Sasquatch...Wow, your first day back at work and an entry about your healing process. I am impressed. I am also very happy for you and so glad to hear you are healing well and able to work. As John said, the cost of being ill can hit hard sometimes and the cost of the extras to help us on our way are a while other issue. Work is a necessary thing. I also had an area of skin that refused to heal with the plate of the pouch on it. In order to not compromise the space  the pate needed, I did the same thing. I cut tiny squares of a sterile  gauze to fit and covered the sore with it then the plate. To add extra encouragement I also used those stretchy c_shaped tapes around the edges and have not stopped using them since. Thankfully they are covered by medical. I also used some Polysporin on the area for a short time and saw a huge difference in a few days time. Happy New Year to you, you young buck and may your health continue to improve and stay improved. Hows your dog? Picture time.

Linda

ReplyQuote
madrikh52
(@madrikh52)
Registered
January 5, 2019 2:58 pm  

I'm also glad to hear you're making good progress and getting back to "normal" life (whatever that is!!). Good idea to take things slow. Best to you!

Marci

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
January 7, 2019 8:56 am  

I got a needed rest this weekend.  I worked 2 ten hour shifts last week, and that was about all my body could handle.  I probably over did it a little last Thursday, but I was short handed in the shop.  We'll see what a full 40 hour week does to me this week.  It's mostly building strength and stamina back to pre-surgery levels at this point.  

A word to anyone needing this surgery who might be hesitant about it,  don't be.  If you've already had the sub-total colectomy, it's not much different from a recovery stand point.  Same kind of limitations, and roughly the same time frame.  There might be a little more pain involved, but only a marginal amount.  I was just glad to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

LK, VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 7, 2019 9:26 am  

Hi Sasquatch, you’re thread on this is has been inspiring. To many see the Ostomy to start with as a “I am different now” I don’t want to take away from anyone’s struggles or health complications but many ostomates are young and normal life has to go on. Their is a difference between tired and pain so you know to read the signs. Keep up the good work lad. 💪

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register