Tips to sleeping better with an ostomy  

Page 5 / 5 Prev
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2017 2:28 pm  
Posted by: Bubbles

I set my cell phone for wake up  at three hours when I go to bed  get up and empty then set for 4 hours . This gets me to the morning yet makes sure I don't over sleep. I am still at a  high output with my newer stoma . My doc says it will slow down eventually. 

Great idea! I'm glad it works for you.

How long before your stoma normalized out put ? 

My stoma was still normalizing after a year! Ileostomies take more time to adjust vs. colostomies because your body needs to learn how to adapt without a colon. You should see changes every month for a little while. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)
Registered
November 2, 2017 3:35 pm  

Four hours is a dream come true for me.  Pippa the ileo is very very active after dinner no matter how much or how little I eat. I do try and eat NOTHING past 7 PM but sometimes I cave in :-).  I'm a light sleeper anyway and have never needed an alarm clock so I just wake up naturally every 2-3 hours.  I go to bed super early to compensate so I sleep (interrupted every 2-3 hours) from about 9 PM till 6 am.  Pippa gets quiet around 3 am and doesn't erupt too much till after lunch.  This works for me because I'm back to work and its nice to have few interruptions while working each morning

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 5:03 pm  

I just go with the flow lately- Just make sure that I don't drink much after 7---p.m.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 5:26 pm  

ANY one--------  I have read with you a bit on Anti-b's. meds.  Does it really make the out put more demanding during this time of taking these?

I am still a dizzy blonde here-and Dr. wants me in and may have to go on them. Like I really need more out put.. :-( 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Liaelena
(@liaelena)
Registered
December 31, 2017 5:48 pm  

Agree with you.  Have had my iliestomy due to the C diff virus for two ywars now.  Being wearing my one piece for all that time and have graduated to 7 full days of wearing same bag (convex,) and changing 8 th day with no skin problems at all. Dont wear anything on the skin surrender my stoma except clean with clear water and dry very well  My issue is sleeping 2 1/2 hours at night before I empty   Put an alarmclock, go, empty and back to sleep, but always sleepy.  I have a long break in the Am when I do some chorus Am going to try to go to 3 or More.  Snother issue if I let it go too full, my output is heavy and very sticky, so is easier to empty often    I also am very grateful to Eric for his wonderful work   Wish every one a wonderful and blessed New Year🌹

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 31, 2017 10:54 pm  
Posted by: Liaelena

My issue is sleeping 2 1/2 hours at night before I empty   Put an alarmclock, go, empty and back to sleep, but always sleepy. 

That must be really tough. 

What brand of appliance are you using? I' m a video on some high output bags from Coloplast that will help a lot of people who have issues with overnight emptying. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 1, 2018 2:07 pm  

Liae------ Your very lucky to be able to wear your pouching system for so long.. But, may I suggest... I change on every THRID DAY...... Try this and I am sure that you will have security within yourself to sleep. Also, when u change the wafer-look at the seal ring.. You will  notice that is melting a bit.. this is break down = leaks.. I worried a lot at first. then I told myself- Marcie- if u get a leak? you get one.  It happens.. Just have everything ready for the showering, and what u need to changing etc. I sleep a good 12 hours if I can.. :-)  But, I do empty 2 times a night- I told myself, hey, I would get up in the night to pee, do what is the big deal?  Yes, I wake up with a leak, Again, I tell myself Don't say that "word" that is on your sheets, Marcie, just do it.. Don't get angry-- just do it.. What makes me happy, is that I can take care of myself!! That is more favorable to me than anything... For months on end, when I was in  the hospital I had to depend on others, didn't like that.. :-(   AT ALL !!!! 

*****The mio seems to me/for me/ doesn't last for me very long..  but that is a personal find. I sleep on my side --even where my stoma "Nellie" is just to re-arrange my insides that I am making a change in the days end.. But mostly on my back.. So, get yourself all comfortable and mind ready for a nice sleep- forget the alarm clock..  Nature has a way to let u know that "it's time" But as in life there are always surprises.. Personally, I don't like the night time ones in any form.. All I ask, is no one yell "fire"  :-) Good Luck and sleep well my friend..

ReplyQuote
Liaelena
(@liaelena)
Registered
January 1, 2018 6:25 pm  

Hi Eric, greetings from warmer San Diego!   Am using Hollister convex one piece no 8612    Also, eakin cohesive ref 839002, and finally coloplast Brava elastic barrier.  A fantastic combination that allows me to wear my bag for full 7 days with no issues as of now.  I think that am being a little paranoid about not wanting to have the bag over 1/2 full, much easier to empty.  As my oitput is heavy and many times difficult to empty if bag too full.  Since being discharged in 1/2016 from my iliestomy, have not have leaks. had them very often at the Hospital and Rehab place because the were using not the right appliance.  The convex given by my ostomy Nurse made the Grade.  Am going to try to go 3 hours starting tonite.  Thanks again Eric snd stay warm   Lia

john68 and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Liaelena
(@liaelena)
Registered
January 1, 2018 6:29 pm  

Hi Marci.  Thanks for your input.  Please read the answer I sent to Eric.  Am so no tech that it takes me for ever even to reply to a post (  ha) .  Regards, Lia

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 1, 2018 11:35 pm  

Hi, Liaelena.

If you're getting great , I wouldn't change the appliance to anything else! Have you kept a food diary to see if there are any that tend to cause more  output? 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 2, 2018 2:36 am  

Hi Liaelena, That's a great result with your pouch and the wear time, its a pain not getting a good nights sleep, Follow what Eric has said about the food diary. I find some foods move quicker than others and cause different output. you solved the leaks and have an impressive wear time ye will solve this too!!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Liaelena
(@liaelena)
Registered
January 2, 2018 9:43 am  

Hi John.  Yes, will give Eric tip a try.  Keeping a food diary should be very easy, as my meals consist of a very few food staples (boring.) day after day.  

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 2, 2018 10:04 am  

Hi Liaelena, Would one of those staples be potatoes, I luv my spuds but they do cause my output to be on the heavy side. May be its time to add a few more foods in

ReplyQuote
Liaelena
(@liaelena)
Registered
January 2, 2018 10:32 am  

Eat very few potatoes now days.   Canned vegetables eaten daily:  carrots, green beans and beets.  I do eat checken, small sirloin steak, brown rice, and pasta.  An some dairy products.  Croissants are my indulgence and eggs.  Anyway, I decided ti add some other foods this year.  See what happens  

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 2, 2018 10:58 am  

Hi Liaelea, Sounds  like your doing well.  But Try to NOT think of the leaks that YOU MIGHT get........... Your a nice year  now-- behind you--so yes, start eating.. I was paronid also, to the point that I was near mal-nutrition.. Last Christmas.. I paied so much attention of the foods that they give you NOT to eat. etc.  I have an high liquid output-- I WAS empting 20 times a day!! (and it got so full so fast-I had NO control) Doing better now-- I eat just about everything.. Even pickles. (but I eat them like corn on the cob--DONT eat the rind)  :-) I eat more than my 40 years of son's do.. Go ahead-try everything but with much water during.. Like Eric stated.. I even have an egg rolls.... only ONE tho-- at a time.. Chew chew....... 

You should empty 1/3-1/2 full bag.. Never can tell when al of a sudden a good burst of fresh air/etc, your stoma will give you--Never mind the fact the heavy bag pulls on the wafer and stoma.. and it looks so much better in clothes.. never mind your mind or ease.. So relax and enjoy your foods..... --------The hospitals and re-hab's have the most horrible pouching systems in history-They are old, and lets face it, the nurse etc. really aren't into us.. Happy that your Dr. nurses helped you out.. If u found a product you can get the long time of use-your in!! Did u get a nice night sleep last night?  This part of your day and a well needed rest is best.. -Send that warm weather over to Ct.--My heater is still broken and it was -10 /-20 last night.. Parts wont be in until Thursday. :-(  Gonna have a heat wave Thursday maybe 30 degrees !!!  with snow if course.. Best....... Marcie. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 2, 2018 11:40 am  
Posted by: Liaelena

Eat very few potatoes now days.   Canned vegetables eaten daily:  carrots, green beans and beets.  I do eat checken, small sirloin steak, brown rice, and pasta.  An some dairy products.  Croissants are my indulgence and eggs.  Anyway, I decided ti add some other foods this year.  See what happens  

Definitely, keep a food diary and make sure you mark down any beverages, too. Anything with artificial sweeteners, sugar, caffeine or alcohol can cause higher output.

Beets, while I love them, have a laxative effect on me. I think that narrowing down some offending foods can at least give you some control over what's happening at night.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 2, 2018 1:42 pm  

That's a good point, I know am guilty of not taking beverages into consideration

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 2, 2018 7:06 pm  

agree with Eric-as always-- But if I can get a heavy out put?  Potatoes are in on a daily basis..  --------- Still freezing our butt's off with no heat here.. Wearing winter hats in the house..  - 20 degrees again tonight--But getting heat wave Thursday  30's with snow.. then the freeze zone again.. Eric knows what I am talking about-- Are u blowing this freeze wave to us Eric???????

My "z" you all got snow etc. Down there--I see-  That area comes to a STRONG stop  down there huh? We just plow through it even before the plows comes..  My SUV as every other car n the road today on my way to infusion, just couldn't get it going.. We all went slow for our car engines sake-poor cars, can't take the cold either.. Never mind the heat come on when I pulled into the parking lot.. Another few days and things will be back in working order-I hope!! If not--Tom said he will get me into a hotel-so I wont get sick - as being dehydrated, my body is working to hard to keep warm.. But I got my electric blanket.. :-) 

Drink your fluids-- so  important!!!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
January 3, 2018 12:19 am  

No snow plows for the residential areas. We neighbors dig each other out.

God help the ijit that parks in the spot that i dug out. Nasty business. Heh, heh, heh.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 3, 2018 10:16 am  

Ya, brings the best out of some people--selfish at times--"she" thinks that her husband dug out your spot for her how sweet he is :-)    /   :-(  .........  6-12 inches of snow for us tomorrow--   and we still have no heat in the house..   :+O.........

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register