Community Forums

Colomajic pouch liners  

RSS

mykirbyroo
(@mykirbyroo)
Registered
April 30, 2017 9:24 pm  

If you use closed pouches, I have an extremely useful and cost effective product to recommend:  Colomajic pouch liners.  100 for $31.95 and if you buy $100 worth (3 boxes of 100), they will ship them to you FREE.  Go to colomajic.com and check it out.

Have been using Hollister closed pouches for almost the entire 3 years I've had my colostomy Rosebud, and I can't tell you how much money they have saved me.  Medicare allows me two boxes (30 pouches per box, 60 pouches for the month) and that is no way, no how even remotely close to how many pouches I go through in a month.  So any additional pouches I would have to buy myself out of pocket.  I was buying about 10 additional boxes per month and the cost was really high (almost $45 a box of 30), so I was thrilled to death when I found Colomajic's ad in the Phoenix magaine.  They sent me samples and I loved them!!!  They will send you samples to try.  

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 30, 2017 10:10 pm  

Many Colostomates love pouch liners. Glad they work well for you! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
mykirbyroo
(@mykirbyroo)
Registered
May 1, 2017 12:51 am  

Eric, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your site!!!!  You are fun to watch, you explain things very well and you show us what you're talking about.  Watched the video of you changing your leaking pouch in the car at the fun park tonight.  That's precisely why I wear a Hollister two-piece.  Please keep up the terrific work because a lot of us need your expertise and advice!!!!!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!!!  Best regards to you and your family from me here in Nebraska.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 1, 2017 12:54 am  

Thanks, mykirbyroo! So glad that you like the info - lots more to come! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
GerhardE
(@gerharde)
Registered
January 22, 2018 1:13 am  

More regarding colomajic liners and cheaper alternatives. These are very thin, specially designed plastic bags, that you put into your pouch. They come in two sizes for insertion in the smaller or large flange sizes. The original type and a flushable type are sold, in the $95 range for 300. Sold in packs of a hundred. Using google you can find more information. They have a few pin holes at the top to let any gas come out and flow to the filters. They are easy to use, replace, and either flush or store in a disposal bag of your choice. They work very well. They are very thin, but strong. They do not work with flanges that are attached by an adhesive method to the skin barrier, but work well with other two piece systems like Hollister's. They protect the filters well, also allowing re-use of 2-piece closed pouches and have been around for some time. The main ostomy supply places do not carry them. You can probably figure out why. If you use a drainable pouch you could cut the bottom of the liner so stool could keep flowing further down. You have to check whether liquid stool creeps upward toward the filter when the liner is really full and pushes tightly against the inner pouch wall. Check it out. During the day this is less likely to be an issue. Only when you are sleeping.  Both for closed or drainable pouches this liner is a "safety" bag, should you have leaks (though they are rare) in the pouch or in their attachment to the skin barrier part. Another advantage is that if you are out and need to change your closed pouch and don't have a spare, you simply pull out the liner bag, flush it or dispose properly in a suitable disposal bag in the public restroom. Your clean outer pouch is still available to continue what you are doing.
I've tried the following a few times, and it does work for closed 2-piece bag systems. Buy a plastic doggy poo disposal bag or the equivalent baby diaper disposal bag, now about $1 per 75 bags or so. Available at some Dollar stores, but not all. These are also strong and thin, and like the colomajic liners have a slicker surface for the stool to drop down compared to the inner pouch surface covered by necessary anti-noise and anti-odor chemical films. They are not as practical as the colomajic liners, which are perfectly formed and size fitted for the pouches. They are a little bulkier, and you might wish to cut them down to fit, and don't forget to put a 2-4 pinholes at the top of the bag for gas to escape into your pouch and from there to the filter. I would decide how much of the bag I wanted to show out of the pouch ring. I drew a Sharpie fine point line across the top the plastic bag and made some pin holes just below the line. When putting the plastic bag into your pouch, you push it in beyond the pouch opening, stopping where the line mark is and the pin holes will then in the pouch not out of it. A quick puff of air will aid in quickly distributing the liner in the pouch. All this reads more complicated than it is. In a few trials, you'll figure it out. And you will be amazed. Your filters last for a much, much longer time. The filters would need to be bigger in size for further improvement in gas processing. Without higher through-flow activated carbon gas filters, which, however might become bulky, ballooning will be hard to tame. Even with a liner, separating the pouch mounting rings briefly, i.e., "burping" to help gas escape will not be a problem. Still, to be safe, remain sitting or standing when doing this.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register